Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
You might want to read the source before you reply (even the OP overlook the key elements by forking the content with a faulty parser)! It does tell that future N-Series won't get Symbian no more. Symbian is yet to be Symbian^3 and at least Symbian^4 is planned. So that's nothing to worry about for anyone who owns or thinks about buying any N-Series Symbian^X device! It is just another note that Nokia is definitely going full pull on MeeGo for future N-Series devices. Period.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I'm sure something like this was said at the end of 2009.

Maemo for high-end devices and symbian for less-featured phones.

Until there is an official announcement then I'm not convinced.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
at first i wasnt interested in the N8, but now I am... whats wrong with me? maybe the rest of my consumer electronics career will be effected by my n900 trauma...

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scifi.guy View Post
Isn't it typical Nokia way of doing things? Announce a decent phone and kill the OS.
I am not quite sure that "kill the OS" is the right wording here. Nokia has, as we've seen, started up a few new "letter" series. Between S-series, E-series, X-series, and C-series, the only real surprise is that these devices inherit the "N" instead of moving to the "M-series". This is really not about abandoning Symbian, but changing the naming schemes.

As I see it, anyway.

Last edited by volt; 2010-06-23 at 14:57.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
wait. I've seen this before. n900 is the last maemo in n-series. n8 is the last symbian in n-series and n9 will be the last meego device in n-series( just not announced yet).

still waiting for weego.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
wait. I've seen this before. n900 is the last maemo in n-series. n8 is the last symbian in n-series and n9 will be the last meego device in n-series( just not announced yet).

still waiting for weego.
Let me fix that for you.

...and n9 will be the last meego-harmattan (meego compatible) device in n-series( just not announced yet)...

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I'm sure something like this was said at the end of 2009.

Maemo for high-end devices and symbian for less-featured phones.

Until there is an official announcement then I'm not convinced.
there has been an official announcement.
http://mynokiablog.com/2010/05/29/vi...at-openmobile/

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
You might want to read the source before you reply (even the OP overlook the key elements by forking the content with a faulty parser)! It does tell that future N-Series won't get Symbian no more. Symbian is yet to be Symbian^3 and at least Symbian^4 is planned. So that's nothing to worry about for anyone who owns or thinks about buying any N-Series Symbian^X device! It is just another note that Nokia is definitely going full pull on MeeGo for future N-Series devices. Period.
I don't actually get why people are worried about this announcement concerning N8? Nokia is expecting Symbian to be it's main OS/volume OS in 2011 already(taking S40 place). This is only about the positioning of the two OS's that both support Qt.

Like i already mentioned getting the magic of N series that it had for the first 6 years of Symbian being all new needs MeeGo to take it's place imo.

As far as MeeGo being high end only is nothing new. It was already said many times in 2009. It's just about the N series branding here.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-06-23 at 17:00.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Toronto
I would be shocked if Nokia managed to actually deliver on June 30th.

Everytime you don't click on my blog, I kill a kitten

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You won't see working MeeGo/Harmattan on June 30 - its still in very much alpha stage, only UX preview will be released.