Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Without passion, whatever you're doing is ****.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Fanboys are passionate yet produce very little but hot air and a waste of space.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Savvy != passionate
Ok, there was a built in assumption in my statement that the CEO would be savvy by default because he (she) would know to build the company around skilled and trusted people, rather than trying to do it the other way around.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ok, there was a built in assumption in my statement that the CEO would be savvy by default because he (she) would know to build the company around skilled and trusted people, rather than trying to do it the other way around.
Ah, I gotcha.

But I don't share that assumption.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I think you definitely need to know about the technology you're selling, but managing people and resources is very important as well.

People: I think you need to be able to take full advantage of peoples' potential eventhough you "couldn't do their job". For eg. get your engineers to do the best engineering work they can do, even if you can't tell them directly what they should do and how.

Resources: know how big you are and what feats you can pull off. For example, if the US market was so important to Nokia, why weren't resources directed away from other projects until Nokia had a good market share in the US to grow on its own. What was the damn hold up? Apparently it was not being able to get your people to develop your products further.

Sources:
http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/...und-story.html

And that other blog article titled "Saving Nokia smthn"