Active Topics

ive been looking for this for the longest time... since i cant make knots2 work on my N900. i used to make it work but the software upgrades on my computer makes it difficult to configure. so i just give up on knots2 and looking for an alternative to stream media from my computer to my N900

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dager View Post
Hi, pycage
I also want to use gupnp-media-renderer, but after i installed it ,how to use it ?
I have tried to run it with mommand "gupnp-media-render", but failed.
How can i use it?
I'm using an older version that is not Vala-based and compiled it myself.
It ran after starting it with gupnp-media-renderer.
It works fine except that it doesn't accept event subscription renewals, so after 1800 seconds of playing, the client doesn't get any notifications anymore.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I'm using an older version that is not Vala-based and compiled it myself.
It ran after starting it with gupnp-media-renderer.
It works fine except that it doesn't accept event subscription renewals, so after 1800 seconds of playing, the client doesn't get any notifications anymore.
But when i run it with gupnp-media-renderer, there are some problems.
How can i make it work, or where can i get a version which can run noramlly?
Thanks !

[dager@dager ~]$ gupnp-media-renderer

(gupnp-media-renderer:2308): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: IA__g_object_newv: object class `GUPnPMediaRenderer' has no property named `relative-location'

** (gupnp-media-renderer:2308): WARNING **: Path to description document not specified.

(gupnp-media-renderer:2308): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[dager@dager ~]$

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
For a while, I used TwonkyMedia as my server and a Roku Soundbridge as my renderer. The two worked well together. The Soundbridge required occasional reboots when it was connected to my network by WIFI. When connected by wired Ethernet, it was as stable as can be.

The Soundbridge has a bug in its UPnP implementation. It doesn't work with most UPnP controllers. It wouldn't work with Zhaan. I don't recall if it worked with Cidero, which appears to be unsupported these days.

A couple of months ago, I gave up on UPnP and my Soundbridge. I'm using Music Player Daemon (mpd) on a Mac Mini. I control it with a Firefox plugin called Music Player Minion. From one browser, I can control all of the music players in the house. There is a maemo client, cutempc, in extras-devel that's OK but not quite ready for general use.

I use ushare to serve my upnp share on my server (running Archlinux), and normally connect to my upnp share using this litte radio (sold for about 100 euros):
http://www.hifiklubben.se/produkter/...t-hogglans.htm

It also works great as a regular radio and internet radio reciever, and sounds good enough for me.

Originally Posted by dager View Post
But when i run it with gupnp-media-renderer, there are some problems.
How can i make it work, or where can i get a version which can run noramlly?
Thanks !$
gupnp-media-renderer was only meant as a proof-of-concept and hasn't been maintained for a while now. However, it has been merged into Rygel as a plugin so you want to try out rygel instead. Its available in the latest releases of all major distros so you shouldn't need to build it yourself. On ubuntu/debian, you just need to: apt-get install rygel-gst-renderer.

Someone made packages/repos for N900 as well but rygel is quite old in there.

Thanks zeenix, i have understood, and also installed Rygel, it works normally.

hey im new im trying to instal rygel using the info on http://live.gnome.org/Rygel/N900 but its not working, app manager says the catalogue could not refresh, and using xterm did not work either, need help resolving this, thanks in advance