Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This... again?

American "this" or American "that"... you guys are tireless with that. Perhaps the tech blogs in your native or well-liked countries need to be more known.

I'm off to start the bestest tech blog in Kyrgyzstan
As an Australian living in the US and married to an American I can honestly say that the attention span of the average US citizen is poor. The problem seems to be that they have been so convinced they need to multi task and split their attention, that they can do a bunch of things really badly instead of one very well.

Don't get me wromg. I love the USA. It has been very good to me and the people have been nothing but nice for the most part. But I do worry for the future when it seems like getting a person to concentrate on the here and now, instead of the next thing coming, is next to impossible.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
wromg
You misspelled wrong

See... I paid attention.

As an American that's lived half his life abroad and in different cultures, I agree. USA sucks in terms of attention span.

Attention span has very little to do with a review typically. Either people like or dislike the product they're reviewing. And it's up to the reviewer to be in-depth or shallow in what they regard for a product.

Ever thought that the product just isn't as universally appealing as other folks have come to think it should be?

Or better yet... that other folks might just have a varying opinion than what some people label as their "preciousssssssssss..." and life doesn't hinge upon a review on a blog where there are plenty of other blogs out there?

I guess I'm of a different mind. The reviewer didn't go in-depth enough to warrant regarding his/her opinion. I wasn't informed by much in that review and ultimately, I'd fall back upon my personal opinion and experience instead of falling behind that review in lockstep.

Y'all take **** way too serious. It's just a review. Read it, agree or disagree with it... no reason to sling around unnecessary stereotypes that have very little to do with it... especially if you come from a penal colony or have the disposition of Pauline Hanson or worse.

Bis dann.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
I've been using the N8 for about 2/3 days, but it's not mine so it won't replace the N900.
Symbian^3 has come a long way from Symbian^1, from tearing galleries to ones that are on par (or maybe even faster) than the iPhone's, kinetic scrolling is a LOT smoother than on any Nokia device I've had.
The camera is just plain awesome, I was a bit disappointed you can't focus in videos, so the N900 wins here.
HDMI is a nice touch, if only it was a full HDMI port, anyways, it's good to have.
The USB port seems to be sturdy, and the cable is very tough to take out, so they might have double checked it won't come out this time, just a note, don't use it in the N900, it's pretty tough to take it out.
The speakers (or should I say speaker) is meh-y, loud, but it's mono, so this part fails.
The screen's resolution is a bit low, things can get very cramped in landscape mode, but the quality of it is wonderful, vibrant colours (and a more powerful graphics chip) made Angry Birds a bit more enjoyable.
Charging can be done via the 2mm charger port, or the microUSB port, so this is epic win for me.
The browser is ****, nuff said.
My QtBrowser didn't work on it, and that pissed me off a bit (Qt eh...?)

Anyways, just a short review, might get into blogging and write a proper one, but not sure if I have the time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
You misspelled wrong

See... I paid attention.

As an American that's lived half his life abroad and in different cultures, I agree. USA sucks in terms of attention span.

Attention span has very little to do with a review typically. Either people like or dislike the product they're reviewing. And it's up to the reviewer to be in-depth or shallow in what they regard for a product.

Ever thought that the product just isn't as universally appealing as other folks have come to think it should be?

Or better yet... that other folks might just have a varying opinion than what some people label as their "preciousssssssssss..." and life doesn't hinge upon a review on a blog where there are plenty of other blogs out there?

I guess I'm of a different mind. The reviewer didn't go in-depth enough to warrant regarding his/her opinion. I wasn't informed by much in that review and ultimately, I'd fall back upon my personal opinion and experience instead of falling behind that review in lockstep.

Y'all take **** way too serious. It's just a review. Read it, agree or disagree with it... no reason to sling around unnecessary stereotypes that have very little to do with it... especially if you come from a penal colony or have the disposition of Pauline Hanson or worse.

Bis dann.
I guess my point was that many reviews I read from US tech blogs tend to be big on "Show me the shiny thing" and short on "It's capable of this".

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
I've been using the N8 for about 2/3 days, but it's not mine so it won't replace the N900.
Symbian^3 has come a long way from Symbian^1, from tearing galleries to ones that are on par (or maybe even faster) than the iPhone's, kinetic scrolling is a LOT smoother than on any Nokia device I've had.
The camera is just plain awesome, I was a bit disappointed you can't focus in videos, so the N900 wins here.
HDMI is a nice touch, if only it was a full HDMI port, anyways, it's good to have.
The USB port seems to be sturdy, and the cable is very tough to take out, so they might have double checked it won't come out this time, just a note, don't use it in the N900, it's pretty tough to take it out.
The speakers (or should I say speaker) is meh-y, loud, but it's mono, so this part fails.
The screen's resolution is a bit low, things can get very cramped in landscape mode, but the quality of it is wonderful, vibrant colours (and a more powerful graphics chip) made Angry Birds a bit more enjoyable.
Charging can be done via the 2mm charger port, or the microUSB port, so this is epic win for me.
The browser is ****, nuff said.
My QtBrowser didn't work on it, and that pissed me off a bit (Qt eh...?)

Anyways, just a short review, might get into blogging and write a proper one, but not sure if I have the time.

I am trying to get the extra money to get my N8. I currently have 4 Nokias: N900, N82, E73, 5230. The N8 can technically replace the latter 3 and I'll end up with 2 powerhouses.

Thanks for the quick rundown of the pros and cons. Truth is better than Spin any day!

I guess my point was that many reviews I read from US tech blogs tend to be big on "Show me the shiny thing" and short on "It's capable of this".
It's a phone. It makes calls. The review talks about OS, the CPU, the camera, and the screen.

Those bits add on top of the "phone" experience. I'm not defending the review; I just don't see a better example from your observation nor why it even exists. Sure, a distinction can exist, but when there are sites like ArsTechnica out there; I start to see that people are just complaining about the major sites that have long since gone downhill to a point of them in need of being what they need to be taken as: microwave journalism (read: blog) that skims way too much and informs of not much more than just opening the box, reading the sides of the box and perhaps touching the item for 15 minutes.

Regardless, don't like "American" anything, then don't read "American" anything. I've been trying, rather unsuccessfully actually, to get more detailed spots of what people are expecting, but all I get are Finnish links and esoteric links that would approve anything by anybody that makes a product of their company of choice. Sites that scream out "Nokia fan", I'll continue to avoid. They'd applause a brick of **** from Nokia is if came with the right number on it. No better than Apple fans in my book.

And that's a whole 'nother discussion.

It's a phone. It makes calls. The review talks about OS, the CPU, the camera, and the screen.

Those bits add on top of the "phone" experience. I'm not defending the review; I just don't see a better example from your observation nor why it even exists. Sure, a distinction can exist, but when there are sites like ArsTechnica out there; I start to see that people are just complaining about the major sites that have long since gone downhill to a point of them in need of being what they need to be taken as: microwave journalism (read: blog) that skims way too much and informs of not much more than just opening the box, reading the sides of the box and perhaps touching the item for 15 minutes.

Regardless, don't like "American" anything, then don't read "American" anything. I've been trying, rather unsuccessfully actually, to get more detailed spots of what people are expecting, but all I get are Finnish links and esoteric links that would approve anything by anybody that makes a product of their company of choice. Sites that scream out "Nokia fan", I'll continue to avoid. They'd applause a brick of **** from Nokia is if came with the right number on it. No better than Apple fans in my book.

And that's a whole 'nother discussion.
Um not to be pedantic - but I often see gsmarena mentioned as a reliable source of review and arent they a UK based site?

As far as the Nokia fanboys there is the flipside of that coin as well. Those who pretty much bash anything and everything they do. As I have said before Gebrick, pretty much every post you make here has some sort of negative spin against either the N900 - or more commonly Nokia itself. I question why you bothered to

a) get an N900
b) Continue to read a forum which so obviously annoys you.

I should also point out that this is my first Nokia phone in many many years - so I hardly fall into the fanboy category. Several things Nokia have done recently have annoyed the bejeebus out of me. However I am still capable of being objective and open to new items etc from them.

Last edited by Bratag; 2010-11-03 at 14:49.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Sites that scream out "Nokia fan", I'll continue to avoid. They'd applause a brick of **** from Nokia is if came with the right number on it. No better than Apple fans in my book.
Ahm.. Havenīt seen Nokia "fan"sites for years if you like to define fan as Maddox does.

Some rare reviewers have ability to analyze things and tend to say "I do not like this because of X but person Y would like it because of Z" or "I do not like the way X is implemented and I would like it to do it in Y way instead". Of course you can always say that it doesnīt "shine", isn't "sexy" etc. But that doesnīt give you any information. At least to me or actually it might tell me more about reviewer him/herself than product itself.

Itīs not SEXY to write review or blog that is actually analyzing and reviewing device&product in traditional "scientific" way. To get hits as much as possible blog writers tend to write utter garbage and keep on saying same stuff what other blog writers have already said.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Um not to be pedantic - but I often see gsmarena mentioned as a reliable source of review and arent they a UK based site?
The same GSMArena that had Java listed on their site for the N900? It's oft-cited, I've read it... hit or miss. But that's any site.

But let any American site miss something... holy f'n war breaks out.

As far as the Nokia fanboys there is the flipside of that coin as well. Those who pretty much bash anything and everything they do. As I have said before Gebrick, pretty much every post you make here has some sort of negative spin against either the N900 - or more commonly Nokia itself. I question why you bothered to

a) get an N900
b) Continue to read a forum which so obviously annoys you.
Does it really matter to you? How about this. Buy my N900 or honestly learn to understand that I am not negative as much as I am realistic about my expectations (low) from pretty much any company, Nokia included... and I own their stock.

Do I need to explain why I did that too? You're asking questions that I don't have to really answer; you were not part of those decisions to buy the: N900, N810, 770 or the Nokia stock. Want to know my reasoning, I'll treat it like a poker game - you're going to have to pay to see my reasoning. Simply put, don't like me here, that's your problem. Not mine.

It's not the board that annoys me, it's the territorial people that worship each and everything by any company that annoys me. Sadly, this place has gone from the ITT days of being helpful to where blind praise is the norm.

I should also point out that this is my first Nokia phone in many many years - so I hardly fall into the fanboy category. Several things Nokia have done recently have annoyed the bejeebus out of me. However I am still capable of being objective and open to new items etc from them.
Please quote where I called you a "fanboy". To my knowledge, I haven't called you one. So that's a label I've yet to place upon you - and if I did, it shouldn't matter just like your continued usage of calling me "negative" hasn't impacted me.

I'm still open, and honestly hopeful about MeeGo and their future offerings. I just refuse to have yet another "step backwards" type of feeling from any manufacturer, Nokia inclusive.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Ahm.. Havenīt seen Nokia "fan"sites for years if you like to define fan as Maddox does.
Please take notice of the "quotes" I used. Nokia fansites have been dropping in number for quite a while; however those people with "Nokia fan" mentality are peppered here and there on certain sites. That stated... I just don't like blind brand loyalty from any brand.

Don't get me started on Apple fanboys... they're up there with Trekkies on the annoyance scale.

Some rare reviewers have ability to analyze things and tend to say "I do not like this because of X but person Y would like it because of Z" or "I do not like the way X is implemented and I would like it to do it in Y way instead". Of course you can always say that it doesnīt "shine", isn't "sexy" etc. But that doesnīt give you any information. At least to me or actually it might tell me more about reviewer him/herself than product itself.
Totally agree.

Itīs not SEXY to write review or blog that is actually analyzing and reviewing device&product in traditional "scientific" way. To get hits as much as possible blog writers tend to write utter garbage and keep on saying same stuff what other blog writers have already said.
Probably why I cited ArsTechnica. They tend to (sometimes at least) go in-depth with the technical aspect of a review and go deep enough to where I won't lose my religion with marketing rhetoric.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
america sucks