Posts: 22 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Leeds, England
The best solution would be a simple, multiboot style gui without multiboot's problems surely. Less keypresses, no chance of forgetting commands and a default boot into the most useful operating system!

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
in my dreams, i want a touch UI on bootscreen with big iconified buttons for differents OSes (Maemo 5, MeeGo 1.1, Android 2.1 ...), or at least a text UI with a list, without le need of removing/inserting the SD card.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBootroo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by TheBootroo View Post
in my dreams, i want a touch UI on bootscreen with big iconified buttons for differents OSes (Maemo 5, MeeGo 1.1, Android 2.1 ...), or at least a text UI with a list, without le need of removing/inserting the SD card.
plus the boot manager that can handles most OSes without the need of multiboot+uboot..

Boot manager - Maemo5, Meego, NITDroid, Ubuntu... = Perfect..

i guess that the boot manager you've been dreaming on will eventually exists someday... =) hopefully...hopefully...hopefully...

Originally Posted by one1002 View Post
plus the boot manager that can handles most OSes without the need of multiboot+uboot..
U-boot is a boot manager that can handle most OSes. I still don't get it, what do people think is missing exactly?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by lma View Post
U-boot is a boot manager that can handle most OSes. I still don't get it, what do people think is missing exactly?
lol sorry my bad.. =) sorry again

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Menus and touchable eye candy, I think. As I understand it, u-boot can do this (at least, it can do menus controlled by keyboard if not by the touchscreen), but I haven't found any instructions on this yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
good luck with u-boot in the current form : http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/Manual

This is NOT easy, user friendly software as-is. This is the archetype of very flexible, multi-OS, multi-language, completely user un-friendly software that was soo common in the early Unix/Linux days. And it was originally targeted towards embedded systems, even more hardcore than your typical end-user Linux box.

Unfortunately there is still a hardcore group of geeks insisting that the only truth is in learning all the details & doing it the hard way and that end-user acceptance and easy-of-use is for wimps only.

It's that 'knowledge is everything, simple end-users don't count' attitude that has stalled user acceptance and progress in a lot of unix / linux related areas.

As long as (all kinds of) people don't realize that UI does count to increase uptake and buy-in, to attract users and funds, these technically very good, 'pure' solutions will stay for the happy few.

As u-boot (the basis) is free and open software, everybody is free to enhance and create better (nicer) versions of it. I'll be following this area closely to see these versions appear.

Maybe when Meego 1.2 is out or NITdroid 1.0, in 6 months or so, we'll have a user-friendly multi-boot environment (general term, not the multiboot product) to allow non-hardcore users to easily install, maintain and switch between the different OS's and allow proper low level backups (think BackupMenu) to be integrated. I do realize that a bit of command line and partitioning knowledge might still be needed but that's the price of playing this low-level.

If only all people people involved in Maemo/Meego/NITdroid kernel building (think people like Matan, JoergRW, MohammadAG, Paul Fertser, Titan, stskeeps, e-yes, DJ-Steve, Nokia & Intel themselves and others) would work together on making everything u-boot compatible, to make it easy.

It will take time but I hope people will get there. I still strongly believe in the 'open & free' ideas, already since Linux kernel 0.8. On the other hand I also want to pay for good software, as I do think that money can be a good motivator for some to create real value for others. To each it's own.

Amen.

Last edited by Netweaver; 2010-11-09 at 12:34. Reason: Forgot our h-e-n kernel guys, shame on me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Menus and touchable eye candy, I think. As I understand it, u-boot can do this (at least, it can do menus controlled by keyboard if not by the touchscreen), but I haven't found any instructions on this yet.
AIUI "vanilla" u-boot doesn't, but others have implemented menus and such in their board definitions (eg openmoko).

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
This is NOT easy, user friendly software as-is. This is the archetype of very flexible, multi-OS, multi-language, completely user un-friendly software that was soo common in the early Unix/Linux days.
It's a boot loader, not a twitter app. It's not aimed at end users in the first place. By definition it does some pretty low-level stuff (in some respects even lower than the kernel) and thus isn't meant to be friendly. People who are not intimately familiar with their device's boot process should stay away from the bootloader (any device, any bootloader).

No one's forcing people who find NOLO "friendlier" to switch either.

If only all people people involved in Maemo/Meego/NITdroid kernel building (think people like Matan, JoergRW, MohammadAG, Paul Fertser, Titan, stskeeps, e-yes, DJ-Steve, Nokia & Intel themselves and others) would work together on making everything u-boot compatible, to make it easy.
Everything is u-boot compatible, that's the whole point of having a "very flexible, multi-OS" as you put it solution.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
why did they not prepare to work with powerkernel??? if not it should uninstall powerkernel before... then whis would not happend to me...