Active Topics

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
you guys don't seem to understand.
500mhz is fine
800 is fine
it's not going to use more power or get hot
if its running at 500mhz and using 50% cpu it is less efficient than running at 1000mhz and 25% cpu because the lower the % the more often the cpu can power down completely.

oh, and it's a feature because it saves power and makes the device more responsive. if you still don't get it... ?

the original post complaining about 100% cpu usage, well, that really is something wrong. and nothing to do with the rest of the comments here (almost). at least that is how i read the post. maybe they could be more clear about the problem.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-12-17 at 18:50.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post

oh, and it's a feature because it saves power and makes the device more responsive. if you still don't get it... ?
I dont want a responsive device during charging , I want it to finish charging as soon as possible

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Devon, UK
oh, and it's a feature because it saves power
If that were true we wouldn't have CPU frequency scaling at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to sutaburosu For This Useful Post:
Before the CPU could be 90% off while charging. Afterwards it's ON 100%. Whether it's at 250 or 500 MHz isn't that important...

What it means is extra 80-100mA load, or a 10% reduction in charge rate.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
I think some of you are having some problems that aren't related to PR1.3 exactly because I have 2 N900 that I updated to PR1.3 and when I charge them the CPU wont load even to 10%, all is peace and quietness

Even my battery last longer than undervolting with kernel power. At first I did not believe it, I just update one N900 and test it while the other was still on PR1.2 but later I update the other N900 and it is exactly equal, battery last longer and CPU quiet while chargin.

NOTE: I can give you pics from battery graph to prove it if you want.

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
PR1.3 introduced a "feature" where cpu never goes below 500MHz when charging.
Isn't it only when charging from PC in PC-Suite mode or if there is a USB-data connection?
But yes it sucks and I do not notice kernel-power would fix it.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by sutaburosu View Post
If that were true we wouldn't have CPU frequency scaling at all.
Okay well for a given voltage, the fastest frequency is always the most efficient.
If you use default voltages, there is quite a difference between power used between 250 & 500mhz.
If you use power-kernel and ideal profile, there is ZERO difference, so you're making things worse by running at 250.

Maybe Nokia learned how to make phones and charge batteries with their 38 years of experience, maybe the battery can only charge at a certain rate which can be easily met, on average 500mhz load, when plugged in. Maybe you guys should test or research this stuff before complaining...

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
Okay well for a given voltage, the fastest frequency is always the most efficient.
If you use default voltages, there is quite a difference between power used between 250 & 500mhz.
If you use power-kernel and ideal profile, there is ZERO difference, so you're making things worse by running at 250.

Maybe Nokia learned how to make phones and charge batteries with their 38 years of experience, maybe the battery can only charge at a certain rate which can be easily met, on average 500mhz load, when plugged in. Maybe you guys should test or research this stuff before complaining...
Maybe you should be less conceited and arrogant with community...

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i think some of you guys are confused.
1- the 500mhz minimum while charging were always on n900 yes even with pr1.1
2-if you charge your phone its still in idle what takes 0mhz,it only goes to 500 if you play with it
so pls stop sharing FUD its harmless and even not worth to discuss
thanks

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following User Says Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
i think some of you guys are confused.
1- the 500mhz minimum while charging were always on n900 yes even with pr1.1
Wrong.

2-if you charge your phone its still in idle what takes 0mhz,it only goes to 500 if you play with it
Wrong again. In this mode that is entered when charging, the CPU does not idle.

so pls stop sharing FUD its harmless and even not worth to discuss
thanks
It is certainly not worth to discuss with people who don't know what they are talking about.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post: