Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
Originally Posted by punto View Post
You discovered this just now? It's been in vaporware for (almost literally now) years - with the vapor specs being upgraded every few months to keep the nerds drooling.

Here you go - one of the earlier announcements. Check the date. http://beta.thehindu.com/sci-tech/te...?homepage=true

At first I was like 'that's cool!' but now - since it's been in gestation before even the Joojoo was officially announced - I'll believe it when I see it actually shipping.

Besides, what relegated the 'iPod killers' of 2003-2007 to also-rans is what is also going to relegate the Android tablets: Specs are unimportant except where it's readily apparent to *any* user - and usability / superior firmware is key - it seems to me that the manufacturers of these things never learn. And iOS deals the smackdown to any Android (which is just a poor man's iOS really, unlike something actually different like Windows Phone 7) tablet in that regard, now or in the near future.
Mate you poped my bubble :/

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Android (which is just a poor man's iOS really, unlike something actually different like Windows Phone 7)
Credibility lost.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
http://notionink.wordpress.com/

I thanked the vaporware post because it'(i)s the most informative here (in that it alludes to the fact that this isn't new), but at the same time, it presents an utterly horribly wrong picture of that's actually going on.

You're more than welcome to view it as vaporware, but at least be informed about what's going on with it as of late.

And I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it's not running 3.0. It's promised to, when 3.0 comes out, but seeing as how preorders are supposed to ship within the next few days. I don't believe they got 3.0 on it. So thanks random article writer for not doing research.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-01-03 at 18:41. Reason: Decided the post about it being vaporware didn't need to be thanked.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Got excited until saw the word Android..
http://www.notionink.com/techspecs.php

Full specs here. I have to admit, Android/iOS so far is a no go for tablets IMO. Hopefully soon someone will step up and actually make a tablet that is not just a giant phone. IF this thing ships with Android 3.0 and it actually ends up being a good tablet OS I will be interested for sure.

And no, running a full unoptimized version of Windows 7 on a tablet is not much better from a UX perspective (although it kills iOS/Android from a capability perspective).

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Can we actually remember when discussing UI suitability as a tablet that the Adam isn't going to be using stock Android UI, and indeed has an entirely new UI (which they've called "Eden"... notice a motif here?) they coded over the Android OS they're running. (You can sorta see elements of Android's UI in there, but it's a lot less noticeable than in the Android shipping on most smartphones claiming a custom UI.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
(although it kills iOS/Android from a capability perspective).
It will kill the battery faster than it can kill iOS/Android.

Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
And I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it's not running 3.0. It's promised to, when 3.0 comes out, but seeing as how preorders are supposed to ship within the next few days. I don't believe they got 3.0 on it. So thanks random article writer for not doing research.

The 10-inch tablet, called Adam and also being introduced at CES, runs a customized user interface based on a combination of Android 2.3 and 3.0.
Article here

Enjoy reading

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Credibility lost.
Pray tell, why?

Oh yeah, I forgot - poor man's iOS with added 'we're open' chaos. We just don't see it on the N900 repos / Ovi because we have barely any apps.

Last edited by punto; 2011-01-03 at 19:50.

Pray tell, why?
Actually, WP7 is the poor man's iOS. They behave in a similar manner outside of the gross UI elements.

Oh yeah, I forgot - poor man's iOS with added 'we're open' chaos.
Right, because not being tightly controlled by the vendor means we're doomed to chaos. Man, go stump for Apple/MS elsewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bakuur View Post
Article here

Enjoy reading
Article says it runs a 'combination of 2.3 and 3.0'. And that a Motorola 3.0 tablet is supposedly coming, which I as far as I can tell, they are not speculating may be the Adam.

Plus, the most detailed information about the Adam has come from Notion Ink itself, and they have admitted it's not going to be running 3.0, though they have talked to Google and tried to figure out what to expect in Honeycomb so they can figure out what they can include now, and if Adam hardware will be able to run 3.0 just fine when it does come out.

P.S. To everyone complaining about it being Android - how long do you think it will be before someone figures out how to port MeeGo and/or some other sufficiently open OS onto it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:

Tags
eatspoo, inhisbutt, rocks, tegra 2