Active Topics

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Ceklund View Post
The iPhone is the new HUGE. It's not even believable what they've done with this thing.
<snip>
I'm going iPhone.

Later.
Guh ... It disturbs me how people are sucked in by marketing. You (and many others) are ready to trade your first-born for an iPhone and you have not even tried it.

On top of that, anyone who pays the expensive price for one of these will never admit that they suck in any aspect if they do because then they'd look incredibly stupid for shelling out so much money for a non-customizable shiny brick.

Sometimes I hate how the world works.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
Guh ... It disturbs me how people are sucked in by marketing. You (and many others) are ready to trade your first-born for an iPhone and you have not even tried it.

On top of that, anyone who pays the expensive price for one of these will never admit that they suck in any aspect if they do because then they'd look incredibly stupid for shelling out so much money for a non-customizable shiny brick.

Sometimes I hate how the world works.
And in the end... All you have is a phone that...

a. Is locked to one carrier.

b. Does nothing more than any other phone (but flashier).

c. Will be as stale as last years Razor, next year.

For a gadget freak and an elitist like myself, I fashion having something that noone else around me has. Only bad thing is the gadget doesn't sell and the manufacturer stop supporting it... I digress...

The Iphone looks great and when I first saw it my initial reaction was to get it... but the marketing and the over exposure has calmed my nerves and i'm not that interested. YoDude is right.. when it becomes like last year's razor I will buy it. It will cost less, and be open to more carriers.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
You should reconsider buying the iPhone -$500+- ... boy there are plenty wrong already with it. Quote: "the iPhone's rechargeable battery is sealed inside its case." ...." With the iPhone, it seems you may be tethered to a backup-battery accessory, which is far from ideal."

Who the hell wants to ship their phone off to get it replaced, and not have a phone while they wait.

There are so many capable smartphones in the market already that do more than the iPhone and with less of a dent in the bank, of course you get the dumb schmucks that buy any apple product just for its shiny looks and its fancy price tag. Use your brains people, plus you going to look like all the other dumb schmucks that will be walking around with this iPhone just like the razor - which was nothing great either.

Finally stop comparing the N800 with the iPhone. sorry, but damn you guys are dumb. The N800 IS NOT a smartphone however it compliments a phone well. Just like a PDA or UMPC, neither of which are phones. The reason I don't get a smartphone of any brand is because I don't like everything squished into one device and tiny screen, I prefer having my GPS/Web browsing on a separate device, sure its convenient to have everything in one, but take for instance this scenario out of the many: You're talking on the phone but want to look at GPS map and take notes on the web - sure you have speaker phone but what if its a private conversation.... and what if your friend is using your phone for a private conversation and you want to surf or setup GPS or anything. Think about that - do you really want every single thing in one.

Read this article.

http://www.forbes.com/home/wireless/...phonemain.html

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Rexburg, Idaho
You simply cannot compare an "apple" to an orange. Both devices have a market, neither will "say good bye" anytime soon. We could go on and on for who knows how many forum pages about the Pro's and Con's.

Still the N800 uses a platform which isn't mature. We can be a niche, but i'd prefer a device which really does what's promised. If it did, people from 'our' group wouldn't even look at an Iphone.

Originally Posted by BlogrQ View Post
... people from 'our' group wouldn't even look at an Iphone.
Define "our" group. I own an N800 and a Blackberry, and can honestly say I've never considered running out and buying an iPhone. I don't see what it would give me that I don't already have.

I suppose people want a single device to do everything, but, realistically, battery life just isn't there yet for that.

R.
==

Ceklund,

While I agree the N800 is not perfect, the iPhone isn't either. Let me point out 1 factor that doesn't seem to be touched on yet. Everything I've read says No 3G. I have AT+T with a 3G data plan and a SYNC (45-90Kb/s download). My phone is my primary internet connection. The iPhone on EDGE will get about 12-16Kb/s based upon my EDGE experiences. Try downloading music at that speed or surfing the net. Given that the iPhone is releasing the end of June, how long before gen2 is released with 3G? 6 months, a year? I'd be pretty pissed if I was first in line for an iPhone now and 3G was released and my iPhone became obsolete after a short time. Or do you want to have to find hot spots or wait till you get home to sync with your computer for the next year. While the iPhone has some very fine points and may be shaping the future of such devices, the data network it is connected to will really make or break its usefulness. Its like having a fine Italian sports car and trying to drive it on a dirt road. I have lots of complaints about the
N800 as well, poor software availability and no way to sync it at all at this time. Everything is a freaking hack or work arround or its just not possible.

I'm getting an HTC Advantage. Maybe it has winmobile 5 or 6, but at least there is software for it. No offense to the people releasing maemo apps, but it is taking too long to get the apps, real apps, that matter most to me. I'd rather pay for the software and know its available and works. I need to sync this thing with outlook and for now, I have nothing. I had high hopes for the
N800 when i got it but now mostly its used for the news reader and light internet surfing while in the bathroom. If nokia gave this thing the PIM capabilities of my old 6682 smartphone it would a different story.

Advantage here I come.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
And in the end... All you have is a phone that...

a. Is locked to one carrier.

b. Does nothing more than any other phone (but flashier).

c. Will be as stale as last years Razor, next year.
Hey I'm locked to one carrier, and it's not Att. I'll wait till the next version, though if someone were to give me one, I wouldn't turn it down.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

I agree with jeep99; no 3G (let alone 3.5G) is a big drawback when using the device to access the internet on the move. The N800 is only restricted by whatever phone you use as a modem.

Also, no physical keypad and no one-handed operation are big drawbacks for me. Dialing numbers or texting without tactile feed-back from the buttons isn't quick.

EDIT: Btw I meant "no physical keypad and no one-handed operation ON A PHONE"

Last edited by skinny; 2007-06-21 at 08:27.