Active Topics

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
While I don't like this, it seems like it could have been a lot worse, if I had to choose between Microsoft and Facebook owning Skype, I prefer Microsoft, because while they may be evil it is a simple "we'll do what it takes to make you spend your money on our products" type of evil rather than a "we want to know everything about you to sell off to the highest bidder or anything else we can think of to do with your private data" type of evil.

Anyway, The Register had an interesting article about this, interesting points from it are that Skype is going to be kept as it's own unit with the Skype CEO becoming president of the Skype group reporting only to Ballmer.

And the relevant quote regarding support of non-Windows platforms:
Originally Posted by The Register
Ballmer tackled concerns about Skype's future on Mac and Linux early on, saying that Microsoft is "committed" to the Skype user base "today and into the future". Part of that means continued growth in investments in non-Microsoft platforms, Ballmer said.

Pressed, Ballmer responded: "I said it and I mean it." Well, now we know to whom to turn if and when features for Skype on Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS fall behind, as Skype for Windows or Windows Phone is optimized for what Microsoft likes to call a "great user experience".

"We will continue to support non-Microsoft platforms because it's fundamental to the value proposition of communications," Ballmer told the press. "We love Windows and we love Windows Phone and the Xbox, and we are going to do all of the work together to optimize these ... but fundamental to the value proposition of communications is to reach everybody whether they are on your device or not. In fact it will be one of our competitive advantages," he said.
To be honest even without this acquisition I wouldn't expect Skype to do anything to further support Skype on the N900, the quote from Ballmer implies they at least won't do anything to kill compatibility prematurely.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant