As far as I know, the best option would be to setting R&D mode and disabling the watchdog lifeguards. There's no apparent side-effect for me, for the past few months.

Keep in mind, browserd renders rtcom-messaging windows among other things.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
I've been running for several days with dbus-scripts suspending SCIM, browserd and image-viewer.

Just thought of something for users of mscimswitcherstatus - if you have mscimswitcherstatus suspending SCIM when not needed, my dbus-scripts config above will wake it up each time the phone is unlocked. I think an updated script to check if MSCIM is enabled (by mscimswitcherstatus) before waking its process would be the best solution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
somehow related:
I tried to pause nokia maps, because "battery drain", but "forever to load".
Yet the GPS is still on. Is there a way to stop/start GPS tracking, so I can really stop consumption while having maps ready at hand?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
i thought why not made an app which gathering this script (power saving) and the script "Tweaks To Speed UP N900": http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73315&page=27

one .deb will be better for many people.

thank

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
how do you tell if this works?

I had to create the folder "/usr/local/share/dbus-scripts/"

and when doing step "killall dbus-scripts" I got error saying

Code:
$ killall dbus-scripts
killall: cannot kill pid 793: Operation not permitted
killall: cannot kill pid 1668: Operation not permitted
killall: cannot kill pid 1752: Operation not permitted
killall: cannot kill pid 1766: Operation not permitted
killall: cannot kill pid 1782: Operation not permitted
killall: cannot kill pid 1809: Operation not permitted
~ $

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ahmedabad, India
Did anyone try out the dbus-script? please let us know the power saving improvements and if its worth installing.

I already have about 8-10 scripts/apps that save power, increase battery life and speed up N900 ! probably each and every thread that talks about these , have been implemented and now wonder if they are conflicting internally due to which i dont see a significant change !

smart reflex is best method to save battery power, but I have all mods installed.

installed this one today, not sure it worked.. but will test

how many hours did you consider you gain with this script?

since the 9th noticed no improvement. smart reflex is by far the best way to prolong battery

Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
since the 9th noticed no improvement. smart reflex is by far the best way to prolong battery
Agreed, furthermore I suspect that using dbus-scripts to kill process to save power is a case of 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

Most processes on the n900 are well behaved and 'sleep' while not doing anything. This means they have very little impact on system load. dbus-scripts however has to wake up every time there is a dbus event to check to see if it matches one of it's scripts. If you have ever looked at dbus-monitor you will see there are a quite a lot of them! especially when changing cell reception power.

tl;dr I suspect dbus-scripts cause more system load checking to see if it needs to run a script in response to an event than the processes you are trying to kill.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post: