Notices

I just uploaded a snapshot build. Get it here.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
You don't need to have any permissions to override versions of packages in Extras-Devel. Anyone can upload. Here's the problem though - MoNav routing daemon is used by Marble for offline routing. If you push something too "new" into the repo you'll break it for all the people testing Marble in the -devel repo. So coordinate with the user earthwings on this forum - he's the Marble project guy on here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
kovach: I put the macedonian map online, can you test if that one works with the latest build I created?

link

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Macedonia
Yup, I can see the Cyrillic names now. And just in time too, I'm going to Greece tomorrow, so I'll test out that map as well.

I made a new build that now supports autorotation. See top post.

how is inputing an address working for you guys?
- typing the city name does nothing, there's no recognition or at least an indicator that the app tries to figure out which city you mean
- street and all other fields are thus disabled -- no way to do anything apparently

- selecting the name from the list below works (i got a test map from berlin, so there're only a few entries, but what for a larger country or, beware, a whole continent?)
- selecting the street: well, a large city like berlin has for almost every street name at least two occurences -- and there's no way to tell from looking. you get a small map tile displaying the (randmomly?) selected street and have to zoom to get at least an idea in whcih part of the city you are. if it's the wrong, tough cookies, no way to re-select but move in that small map tile to the place you really mean (whcih, btw, requires some navigational skills. hold on, wasn't that why i installed this thing in the first place?)
- same thing for the destination -- by now you probably already know whcih way since you had to navigate that small map tile to find both start and destination ...

the input of addresses is obviously useless and contradicts the whole idea of a navigation app -- popping the question if i simply do it wrong.

so, again: how is selecting start and destination working for you when using addresses?

ps: do your maps show street names at all??? i just notice there aren't any on the berlin map.

Last edited by arne.anka; 2011-07-23 at 14:58.

I have no problems inputting the city and streetnames. It doesn't do substring search though, so you have to get the beginning of the city/street name right.

for multiple occurences of street names.. how do you propose to differentiate? how do other nav apps handle that? does OSM contain other identifying properties?

monav sorts the selection list by 'size', so the biggest street comes first. and if your first try is not the right one you can go back and choose the other. Is that so hard? maybe I just don't get your problem..

The missing street names on the map is a known issue, hopefully soon resolved.

so, summarizing: no problems whatsoever with address lookup..

Originally Posted by accumulator View Post
Hi,

Last week I found out about the promising monav project by Christian Vetter (and others?) but unfortunately I found only the monav-routing-daemon available in the extras-devel repo, not the Qt client. Why is the client not (yet) there? I think this excellent piece of software should be on everyone's N900..
Looks very nice, thank you!

Could you consider changing the package Section: from "x11" to "user/navigation" when/if you release a new version? It's a minor nuisance, but it's easier to find (at least for users of catorise and probably some other pieces of software) if it's not categorized as "other".

It's great!

Please add it, and the new rebuilds, to extra-devel repository.

Thanks for your work!

for multiple occurences of street names.. how do you propose to differentiate? how do other nav apps handle that? does OSM contain other identifying properties?
district or zip code. afaik, at least zip is ususally available. and even if not, just listing _all_ occurences is better than current.

monav sorts the selection list by 'size', so the biggest street comes first. and if your first try is not the right one you can go back and choose the other. Is that so hard? maybe I just don't get your problem..
there's exactly ONE street -- nothing of "try and go back". and that street is about 30 kilometers south east of the one i am looking for.
btw: this statement clashes with the other one in the beginning ...

The missing street names on the map is a known issue, hopefully soon resolved.
well, that's the final dealbreaker. i unistalled monav again. i would put up with non-functional street search and missing non-ascii chars -- but being dropped on a map w/o any indication where i am, renders the thing useless.

so, summarizing: no problems whatsoever with address lookup..
how nice for you. which map do you use? can you give an example of the multiple street names?