Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
On a windows PC, you can run X applications from a remote X based machine.
On that windows PC, you will need: an X server (bit confusing, because you are more like a client) like Xming and a terminal program like putty with x forwarding enabled.

If it is resolution wise possible, you can also take over a desktop just using VNC. Somewhat easier to configure and you can also control windows remote.

Good luck experimenting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Have a look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-MlasLCf1A

An episode of the Wire is started on an Ubuntu desktop, from an n900, after which the video that is playing on the desktop machine is shown on the n900 screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
^ Thanks!

2nd freakin' line to write more letters.

Originally Posted by ade View Post
Not gonna work. Windows is not based on X. Your remote machine has to use an X server.
You can get Xming and Putty and you can do pretty much anything you want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
^ So to keep things simple, X Forwarding would let my play the default Solitaire game from my Windows XP on my tablet?

Ooh.
Exactly the opposite - You view Your N900 application on other machine (linux with X based - native, windows - using special "client", which is in fact X server, no need to get into details before You already check how it works ). Thats why it's called 'X forwarding over SSH' - You can achieve it without virtual desktop, in fact You're just forwarding one program, not whole desktop. Got some advantages and disadvantages over VNC (most common Open standard for virtual desktop) and RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol - semi-open w$ndoze standard, capable of faster user experience while doing basic operations on files etc, but unable to project advanced applications like directx/opengl related. RDP is also possible on linux using special packages)

Take this with a grain of salt, as it's purely theoretical knowledge, I've never used X forwarding over SSH myself.

Important note - OpenSSH package for Maemo lacks some improvements of security - basically, reaction to exploits presented in late 2009, compromising -cbc encryptions in some cases. Prior to that, -cbc was default choice, it was replaced with ,-ctr in correct order of preferences. Of course, if one is feeling paranoical, banning -cbc as whole is also an option, although keeping them as fallback seems sane, due to specific and non-trivial nature of exploiting them (so, in environment controlled by Yourself, You use -ctr, because Your both machines support it and it's higher on client preferences list, but You retain possibility of connecting to other servers, that don't support ctr).

IIRC, 'Ciphers' in /etc/ssh/ssh_config should look like that, for best security and compatibility at the same time:
Code:
Ciphers aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,cast128-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,arcfour
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Exactly the opposite - You view Your N900 application on other machine (linux with X based - native, windows - using special "client", which is in fact X server, no need to get into details before You already check how it works ).
You say you haven't used X forwarding personally..?
I've tried it a dozen of times, and come to the conclusion of this:
Forwarding apps from a desktop, fine. Forwarding from N900? No...
There is no pointer, and the way Hildon works is very different from any desktop window manager. Most apps from the N900 become hopeless to use, because there is no integration.
From the desktop it is fine as long as the app can squeeze into the screen.

But, Addison, there is something to put in the clear: SSH is a lot more fun when you have a Unix desktop. (I say Unix because Mac can also be used.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 View Post
Forwarding apps from a desktop, fine. Forwarding from N900? No...
There is no pointer, and the way Hildon works is very different from any desktop window manager. Most apps from the N900 become hopeless to use, because there is no integration.
I use Remote Desktop Viewer on my Linux Desktop. I put it aside on one of the desktops and have it running Skype, so I can use my laptop´s keyboard to type messages on my phone´s Skype instantiation. You´ll need X11vnc installed and running on your n900.

Not strictly ssh but it get the job done.

Generally, everything is more fun when one have a GNU/Linux desktop Yet, SSH'ing and VNC'ing to w$ndoze machine can be also a lot of fun. Windows armed with some .bat scripts and TigerVNC can be neat as WOL machine. Not doing anything that Debian can't do, but if one is tied to windoze by some reasons...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I can use RDP on N900 to access my PC at home. Is there RDP client on N9?