Active Topics

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
But I am going to try it out in the near future. Can the rotations be turned off? I always use it in landscape mode. Feels more natural to me.
Rotation can be locked/unlocked easily with an extra app.
I used to always use landscape, but now there's an option I am using portrait more.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
@Mike Fila
I know OMP will be separate. Just waiting for it to become stable.

I am sticking to extras for now, haven't the time to reflash from devel and testing stuff at the moment.

Some of the fixes make programs compiled on CSSU phone not work correctly on a 1.3 phone (see VFU thread, crawl is another example). Some of the fixes are nice (grey char in xterm), though I would prefer to install them separately. Also got a problem with camera while on vacation without a laptop for a reflash, so no pictures

does CSSU have a virtual potrait keyboard ?

that is what I hate when there is an application supports potrait but if I want to use virtual keyboard I have to rotate my mobile to type there

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Some of the fixes make programs compiled on CSSU phone not work correctly on a 1.3 phone (see VFU thread, crawl is another example). Some of the fixes are nice (grey char in xterm), though I would prefer to install them separately. Also got a problem with camera while on vacation without a laptop for a reflash, so no pictures

you dont need to reflash to get the old camera back.

apt-get install --reinstall camera-ui=1.1.29.1+0m5

@ tony power there is a portrait keyboard but it suck

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
In CSSU stable flavour it's the landscape keyboard squashed.
It not a patch on Operas virtual keyboard, but it has one.

It seems to me, that most people who aren't using CSSU (with few noteworthy exceptions) aren't just knowledgeable enough to know what it does (posts, claiming that CSSU main feature is portrait mode - LOL - or that cameraui2 can't be uninstaled), or are FUD believers (mystic "widget" incompatibility, WTF?).

Well, it's FOSS, so everyone is free to use whatever he/she want. Just don't cry, when something You would like to have require CSSU and developer isn't interested in releasing version compatible with non-CSSU devices. Or, Your bug report can't be confirmed, cause you use ancient QT or whatever. It's like requesting every developer to write for PR1.1.

CSSU is Maemo "upstream", no matter if someone like it or not. Of course, there is always "plausible deniability" available, so no one is forced to use anything

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
I'm wondering why people dont install cssu, it is basically a bug fix for the maemo 5 os. Yes it does have addtional features, none of which have to be used. It is what would have been PR 1.4 if Nokia was still supporting Maemo 5.
'Basically a bug fix'? The CSSU has been hailed as a wonderful way to get portrait-mode working, and enable plenty of other additional features. Rarely is it hailed as being "just a bug-fix".

So far as I can see, I need none of the additional features currently added by CSSU. Moreover, I haven't yet encountered any significant bugs in 1.3(.1), let alone seen anything in the CSSU changelog that demands my attention. So, from my perspective, I would be replacing a 1.3.1 Maemo that is working perfectly fine on my N900 with a newer version for no reason other than that it is a newer version.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to see talented folks working on the Maemo infrastructure. But, I just don't have a need (yet) for the product they've built.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
posts, claiming that CSSU main feature is portrait mode - LOL
Yes, I've been reading all these posts, about CSSU's main feature being portrait mode. In fact, if you look at the Wiki, that's what it says, too:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Features

Lots and lots and lots of GUI improvements, including rotation and portrait mode improvements. In fact, that's pretty much all that the main page says:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

Beyond the bare assertion that the CSSU is the "continuation of Nokia's SSU", all that the wiki talks about (beyond how to install it) is the new pretty transitions, rotations, and portrait mode.

Honestly, we could do with a bit of instruction here, if the CSSU is actually not what it is being advertised to be...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Just don't cry, when something You would like to have require CSSU and developer isn't interested in releasing version compatible with non-CSSU devices. Or, Your bug report can't be confirmed, cause you use ancient QT or whatever. It's like requesting every developer to write for PR1.1.

CSSU is Maemo "upstream", no matter if someone like it or not. Of course, there is always "plausible deniability" available, so no one is forced to use anything

/Estel
Sorry, but if installing CSSU makes programs compiled on 1.3.1 or scratchbox not work and vice versa it hardly seems a bug-fix. Making backward incompatible fixes is a problem. I am not crying, found my own workarounds that don't break compatibility (mrxvt for grey-char in terminal for example). More problems arise when people compile programs on CSSU phones and get bug reports from non-CSSU users.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post: