Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
This is one of the reasons I'm glad I'm on Linux (both my PC and my tablet). I've seen both Free Public Wifi and hpsetup in various parts of Quebec City and Montreal.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
I saw it at Chicago-Midway a few months ago. the legit wifi service said to beware - it might be malicious. then they wanted me to pay... why??? why isn;t it just free in places like that??

btw - i am now the proud father of benjamin allen smith, dob 7/30. =)

iv'e seen hpsetup many times.. airports, restaurants and so on.. the ad-hoc techonology is a bit wierd.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
@joshua - congrats
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by johsua View Post
I saw it at Chicago-Midway a few months ago. the legit wifi service said to beware - it might be malicious. then they wanted me to pay... why??? why isn;t it just free in places like that??

btw - i am now the proud father of benjamin allen smith, dob 7/30. =)
Good to hear, Johsua!!!

And yeah, I forgot I'd seen hpsetup too. LOL... this situation is really funny the more I think about it.

so... is there such a thing as a public wifi that uses ad-hoc, or ad-hoc is never used in such instances?

during my recent travels i too encountered a lot of ad-hoc networks, some with IDs identical ti the actual AP, even though both seemed open, i wasn't able to connect to either. I was just wondering if it was replicated 'fake' one or legitimate network.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I've seen it in several places in Southern Calif.

Windows has a funny habit of creating an adhoc network with the ssid of the last network it's joined. I've seen free public wifi up here as well.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

I see it in one of the buildings where I work. Maybe I should walk the hallways with my n800 and try to track it down...

HPSETUP is usually related to an HP Printer which can be networked. When a laptop connects to it AD-HOC via wirelsss (since laptops search for nearby SSIDs). Windows then saves the SSID in the wireless configuration as a valid hotspot. When another laptop searches for nearby SSIDs and connects to that other person's laptop HPSETUP AD-HOC it saves it on that laptop and so on and so on. That is how those "zombie" SSIDs spread around all over the place.