Active Topics

I have the same unstable WLAN connections problem with my brand new 770. Unless I stream the radio, it will disconnect every browsed page. I use a Netgear router in G mode with WPA.
I hope someone in Nokia reads this forum.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by roadsterboy
I use a Netgear router in G mode with WPA.
I hope someone in Nokia reads this forum.
Stupid question, but it seems to me that WPA is most likely the issue - have you tried turning it off on your AP to see if that helps?

It's not the solution, but may help you narrow the problem down.

Brad.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by bradb
Stupid question, but it seems to me that WPA is most likely the issue - have you tried turning it off on your AP to see if that helps?

It's not the solution, but may help you narrow the problem down.

Brad.
The only problem I've had with connections was with "connect without asking"

The first application makes the connection and then shuts-down the connection on close (even if a second browser (or whatever) is open.)

Try manually connecting with the connection manager before doin' the nasty.

This has worked with several different kinds of connections.

P

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
I have had disconnects in an Internet cafe, and those don't use WPA.

At this point, I would also like to say that under no circumstances would I run my AP without security. I live in a middle of a large city, so the risk of someone hijacking my connection is real. If this happens, and the hikjacker uses my connection for illegal activities, legally I am co-responsible for "reckless conduct". Small probability maybe, but high risk.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ London, UK
My network's secured by MAC filtering rather than WPA and I'm still having this issue.
If I open up the connection manager, connect to my network then just leave it, it'll happily stay connected for 30 minutes plus. As soon as I start using it though it disconnects a minute or so later, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the software rather than a hardware issue. Ah well, time to reflash my firmware to see if it improves things, I think..

Thanks for the report.

Mac filtering is not very secure as a security method. Mac addresses can be spoofed.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by Jerome
Thanks for the report.

Mac filtering is not very secure as a security method. Mac addresses can be spoofed.
You're right, it's not very secure. It's my understanding that WEP isn't really much better when your dealing with someone talented (or even a good script kiddie).

But if you use WEP and mac address filtering, at least you've made an attempt to keep others out and I'm pretty sure your provider can't ask for much more.

I was just suggesting it as a test.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ London, UK
Is anyone who's been experiencing problems finding the 51-13 update an improvement?
I can now stay connected to internet radio for 30 minutes plus, which didn't happen before. When I use the browser, it's still dropping the connection after pretty much every page load though, but at least the annoying 'connection lost' message doesn't come up anymore, so i guess it's vaguely more bearable.

Tried firmware 3.2005.51-13 today. The bug is still present, in a slightly modified form. Now the 770 will NOT say "connection lost" (with a woof sound), but the connection is lost nevertheless. It needs to reconnect on every 5th or so web page and dmesg shows the same messages...

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Iowa, USA
Still using firmware 2005.45-8; I noted that I could not use WPA with TKIP mode, had to switch to AES. Access point is Linksys WAP54g.

The workaround I use is to disconnect and reconnect, using the connection manager. This is annoying.

The connection *seems* to stay open while I stay at one site, then when I try to switch sites, I see the "Connecting" message, then finally "failed to connect".

Is there a Bugzilla entry that someone at Nokia has entered to acknowledge similar symptoms?

I'm satisfied that I have a secure (enough) connection, but now I'd like
to contribute to the solution. What observations would be most helpful
to Nokia?