Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
I believe MeeGo with sufficient backing and proper management in development could have done more good than harm, because even though iPhones and androids are leading the market, Nokia has had a very fond following... With its OS's - its unique identity, which it doesnt jave anymore since the Burning Platform

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danested For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
IDC press release HERE

RIM pipped a few at the post, and they are growing market share (although only incrementally). The interesting point to note here is that Nokia were banging on about the next billion, and this was supposed to represent the growth potential in Asia and the sub continent, however RIM seem to have been doing a better job in these geographical regions than Nokia have.

Nokia truly threw out the baby with the bath water when they walked away from the Swipe UI on high end handsets. Asha is proof of it's scalability on lower end units, but won't stand a chance of flourishing against the cost value that low end android handsets represent in the same market segments.

The BB10 experience is the closest thing to the N9 paradigm that has a chance of moving away form the "standard" in the large scale market at the moment.
People who see and use the BB10 Dev handsets often comment on how many aspects of use and UI are similar to the N9.

As MS slowly rapes and pillages Nokia for it's IP and technology, I think Nokia will die a slow death, with the eventual release of a surface WP8 handset being the final nail in the coffin for them.
Given that Nokia released the 920 as the next big thing for WP handsets and then the very next week, MS was touting HTC as their "Premium" WP handset partner at their WP handset announcement, there is no other way to go.
One can only hope that the people behind the likes of Jolla will be on hand to pick up any Maemo/Meego and UX patents at the fire sale....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-575...ndows-phone-8/

read it and weep

Well, there you go. How does it feel being raped in the *ss, mr Elop?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Well, there you go. How does it feel being raped in the *ss, mr Elop?
Its just some "sharing the love" by M$...See this link

I agree M$ is screwing Nokia but that invite is a non-story as there are only 4 proper WP8 models launched and invites feature each one of them...

Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-575...ndows-phone-8/

read it and weep
Would it be considered as Sacrilege to say that I am liking the look of HTCs windows phone offering more than the Lumia?

I guess there might be some small part of me that resents the debacle of Elop and his over-lords have made with Windows Phone in Nokia and bastardising the N9 design. And for the fact that the have not really updated the design with the last 4 wp iterations and HTC have something new (more like the 820 IMO). But still, HTC have made a nicer looking phone in my eyes.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
But still, HTC have made a nicer looking phone in my eyes.
True in some ways but the proof is in the pudding so till we touch it we may never know...IMO its:

920>8X>820

Although the n9 design being copied over is making things a bit stale...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Would it be considered as Sacrilege to say that I am liking the look of HTCs windows phone offering more than the Lumia?

I guess there might be some small part of me that resents the debacle of Elop and his over-lords have made with Windows Phone in Nokia and bastardising the N9 design. And for the fact that the have not really updated the design with the last 4 wp iterations and HTC have something new (more like the 820 IMO). But still, HTC have made a nicer looking phone in my eyes.
Intresting how obviously HTC is copying Nokia's n9 design too!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Of course they are, HTC have not bought out an original handset design since their MDA series Like thedead1440 said though, the N9 design is starting to look a little stale and this has been echoed before (in other threads).

HTC took the lumia design and gave it a make over and came up with a pretty device. For what little effort they made, they did alright.

That's still personal opinion

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
htc copied the n9's design but isn't the 820 a more/less HTC type phone? My HD2 looks eerily similar to the 820...

Since Elop has come in its either the n9 type of nice design (which is stale now) or a cheapskate follow-the-market design...Nothing innovative in terms of design...

If you count that the n9 was unveiled in June 2011, that's 18 months since Nokia have come up with a new design...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: