Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I get pretty tired of the way the bad threads get all of the attention. To me, that's just what the trolls want. It is like how the security checkpoints at airports stopped allowing water bottles on aircraft after 9/11. Why are you letting the bad guys set your agenda?
I know you're tired of hearing this, but once they get their foot in the door, and and aren't dealt with quickly by staff, trolls will ramp it up until they get that attention.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The N900 has much more mainstream appeal and with it it has brought with it a lot of pure end-users. They're not interested in sticking out for the long-term and they're not interested in contribution.
I'd like to note this is not exclusively the case. I'm not exactly an active contributor I'd be the first to agree (due to my personal circumstances, I do hope to slowly turn this around), but I do help others out with problems where I can, especially concerning Qt, and whatever other stuff I can do.

And if it hadn't been for that more mainstream appeal of the N900, I'd not be here, simply because prior to that, my attitude was always '*ANOTHER* device? No. I want *ONE* that does more'.

And the n900 did that for me, and I'm fairly sure, quite a few others too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
On this point I strongly disagree. Asking a question then disappearing forever is not the sign of an engaged user anymore than entering your name and email information into a company's online support form would be.
Churn, like it or not, is always going to happen to greater or lesser degrees. What you are saying is of course correct: that with a higher volume of lesser engaged users, churn is going to be greater.

The challenge IMO is what can be done to engage that volume and help produce 'ideal citizens' out of it if you will.

I don't have the whole part of the answer there, but I think that outreach activities like the Maemo Greeters program was certainly a step in the right direction and I think more activities like that are a great idea. Users communities per country with, say, 6 month meetups aren't even that unfeasible with the volume that devices must be selling in now - imagine what that is going to be doing to the more gadget-enthusiast amongst them...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I know you're tired of hearing this, but once they get their foot in the door, and and aren't dealt with quickly by staff, trolls will ramp it up until they get that attention.
Yeah. The forums could probably use a harsher attitude to things like this. But has this ever been brought up and properly discussed?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
Well, I will fire the first round if you don't mind.

I have seen comments from old-timers (or experienced users if you prefer) regarding the flood of new users joining Maemo.org after they bought the N900. Some feels that t.m.o doesn't feel the same as before because all we can read these days are posts asking for help to solve a problem and FUD posts

To put it in a sentence : t.m.o was a developers forum and now it's an after sale support forum.

A well know example (for those old enough) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

Question 1 : What would you do to help new comers feel welcome and keep old timers around ? Or if you prefer, how would you build the bridge between new comers and old-timers so that everyone can share this site together and still find what they were looking for ?

Question 2 : What do you think end-users and developers should do / learn to help each other make t.m.o and Maemo better ?

PS: Please fell free to correct me if you feel I am wrong in any way.
Good questions and I'll try to answer them as a prospective candidate. Thank you Texrat for your invitation in this thread.

Question 1:

First off I don't believe this forum ever was a developers forum. As GeneralAntilles said it has, is, and perhaps always will be an enthusiasts forum. I also agree with qole in his assertion that nothing has changed with the influx of N900 users.

Using your example of Eternal September referring to the the influx of freshmen, I believe if you examine the join dates of some of the "old-timers" responsible for some of the negative comments, you may see that they were not "old timers" at all.
Most of these snarky responses that I have seen came from members who joined a few months or at most a year before the new member asking the question.

Continuing with your example, sort of like a freshman room mate who got in first and picked the good bed and moved the dresser before you got there. Someone I will call "The eternal sophomore".

Question 2 :

This forum started out device oriented and not OS oriented. It was a privately owned, publicly viewed forum and as such had a benevolent dictator in Reggie, the owner. Then it was acquired by maemo.org and in a noble experiment, every member of maemo.org seemed to have a voice in its direction. This may have contributed to some of the eternal sophomore's empowerment. Unfortunately these sophomores are also the ones who most likely are, as GeneralAntilles put it, "not interested in sticking out for the long-term and they're not interested in contribution."

With MeeGo quickly approaching and the need for support for legacy Maemo devices, I believe that the forums should return to a device specific group of forums. Each device, legacy and new, should have its own forum with no more than 4 or 5 sub-forums for device specific subjects.

Each forum could establish its own style, moderation, and own specific posting guidelines as long as these do not contradict any general posting guidelines. The style and moderation of these forums will then come more naturally based on posting volume.

I also believe that the administration of the forums should return to an identified, perhaps council appointed, benevolent dictator.
This way the elected council would be accountable for the forums administration but not responsible for the day to day operation.

How can this help?

For one, it would put posts in better context. However the specific you used in your opening was "after sale support forum":

Enthusiasts will always come here after acquiring a new device. The specific forum for this device could, and should provide that new member with answers other than RTFM.
However, it is also my belief that this community should not be used by any manufacturer as a cheaper alternative to providing full customer support for the devices it intends to sell.
IMHO, this is something that needs to be looked at very carefully going forward. However, at this time a community council's input into matters such as this has not yet been clearly defined for me. But then again I'm slow like that.

BTW, one of the reasons I love this forum is that eventually all your questions will be answered.

SLN member # 009

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Yeah. The forums could probably use a harsher attitude to things like this. But has this ever been brought up and properly discussed?
Many, many times.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
I'd like to note this is not exclusively the case. I'm not exactly an active contributor I'd be the first to agree (due to my personal circumstances, I do hope to slowly turn this around), but I do help others out with problems where I can, especially concerning Qt, and whatever other stuff I can do.
You're no pure end-user. Definitions are always so nebulous in discussions like these, but probably the most critical part.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Oh come on, internettablettalk.com had lots of those users too.
Sure, but the proportions were inarguably different. A hobbyist device tends to attract a different crowd than a mainstream device. Talk has changed, whether you want to admit it or not.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sure, but the proportions were inarguably different.
Inarguably? hahahahaha! Is that your way of saying, "Stop arguing! I'm right!"

You're both right. Shut up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Another is my project: the MeeGo User Experience Framework (feel free to suggest anything).
I am going through this at the moment. First impression is that is pretty much what I am, as a end user, looking for. Congratulation !

Slide 5 : Is there really no other way to make a donation than with site like PayPal. Perhaps it should be integrated with your ovi account ? I just see this coming : "I wanted to make a donation but I was brought to PayPal. Is this a scam ? PayPal is not mainstream. If an end user got a Nokia phone and s/he is brought to Ovi.com for donation or better yet if it is integrated in the OS and told that, say, 2$ will be deduced from his/her Ovi account then I am sure donations would increase.

Slide 16 : Just a small comment. I would trigger the survey after the application has been launch for the fifth time. When I close an application it is often because I have something else do to and don't want to go through a survey at that time.

This whole process must be quick. An example :

Hi you are launching this application for the fifth time would you to give a feedback ?

YES --- NO --- Take survey later

If user says YES then :

Rate this application : 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Donate to developer(s) : 1$ - 2$ - 5$
Go to application web page (where you can ask for enhancement for example).

As I am not always online I would like to be able to complete the survey offline. I guess it is possible to store the survey localy and then when the phone is connected it can be sent.

Slide 21 : Is it possible to have something a la Windows which automaticaly send a report ? If it takes more than 1-2 minutes you are at risk the end user will get tired and close the bug reporting application.

To make it simple : Speed and ease of use are key elements for bug reporting, donation and rating.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council