Poll: Who will ship first?
Poll Options
Who will ship first?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Ditto--I'm severely disinterested in purchasing what is basically a phone..
Nokia sells devices which aren't phones? I think that, in popular voculabary, the N900 is more akin to a smartphone than a tablet.

Suddenly the Pandora is a lot more interesting to some people, while many others are served (you should read the amount of people who wanted 1) a stable OpenMoko 2) 3G functionality which the N900 would both provide).

Maybe we see even more Pandora-like devices, if you'd read the complaining here you'd think theres a market for some stuff... one thing is sure: the world does not end here.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
perhaps a dual sim phone? Either way, I am and have been drooling, waiting, hoping. Now thats a keyboard for a linux device.

getting excited!!
Looks like a portable console (refering to gaming) with which you can type a long e-mail to your wife. Is that enough convergence?

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Cmon, how can you call this a "keyboard for a linux device". It doesn't even have tab and control keys !
The triggers are control and alt. (Tab is, of course, ^I)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Does the rumoured Nokia phone count for the purpose of the bet?
No.

The Thread Title is:
"Who will ship first? Pandora or Nokia Tablet?"

It does not say
"Who will ship first? Pandora or Nokia Phone?"
or
"Who will ship first? Pandora or Nokia Maemo 5 lead device?"

Tablet is tablet, and the Rover as we know it so far isn't one.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Tablet is tablet, and the Rover as we know it so far isn't one.
IMHO, "tablet" as a common noun is more invalidated by the move from slate to slider (yeah, N810) than the screen size or available connectivity -- but the N810 can be legitimately counted, because it can be used as a (nearly) fully-functional tablet with the keyboard closed. "Internet Tablet" was specific Nokia branding that is not applied to future devices, for reasons which appear to center around connectivity. "Nokia Tablet" is not clearly defined at all, which does make it a rather ambiguous question, and a poor one to bet on without rephrasing it or designating an arbiter. The dogmatic assertions that the RX-51/Rover/N900 is "not a tablet" seem to rely on a peculiar definition of tablet, which may not be the relevant one here.

As penguinbait posed the ambiguously-phrased question, and AFAIK is not involved in any wagers on the matter, I'd suggest taking his interpretation (which was that it does count) for any depending on the thread title, but Fanoush and Qole did (wisely) restate things less ambiguously.

Remember the betting talk started after someone predicted Pandoras shipping by May 1:
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Wanna bet on it? Reply here within 24 hours if you do. I'll bet you an RX-51 (when it ships) that no-one has received a production Pandora (i.e. a unit from a batch of 1000 or more, ordered and delivered as a normal customer) by 1st May. Seriously!

Regards,
Roger
Nothing to do with any Nokia product's ship date, actually, but it was followed by Fanoush:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Wanna bet on it? Reply here within 24 hours if you do. I'll bet you an RX-51 (when it ships) that no-one has received a production Pandora (i.e. a unit from a batch of 1000 or more, ordered and delivered as a normal customer) by 1st May. Seriously!

Regards,
Roger
I don't believe in 1st May too. However I would bet that I will get Pandora sooner than RX-51 whenever that will be.

I'm in first (~3000) Pandora batch (not sure about position, ordered at first day but few hours after order started). I will only get RX-51 from developer program (if there is any) so the bet would be valid only if there is such program and I get accepted (likely but one never knows).

As for prize I don't know. I have a ton of outdated Palm hardware nobody wants (Tungsten E, T2, T3) or I could perhaps bet good 770 (I have two, one has slight WSOD but still usable) or you could choose from list of following tasks for me to do
- implement screen rotation to 770 2.6.16 kernel (for OS2006 and hacker editions), sadly the kernel part only, not sure about xserver side, OS2007 and up is perhaps OK, OS2006 version sources had incomplete dependencies so I failed to rebuild it when I tried
- implement screen rotation and port tearsync to any kernel Mer will use for 770
or you can suggest something similar related to kernel or http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/ stuff that needs improvement :-)

If I win I'll take SD adapter for N810 made by craves1 (the new one with accelerometer etc preferred) or USB2VGA adapter with sis chipset - see http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=26650 http://xsisusb.garage.maemo.org/ :-)
and Qole:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Wow! The gauntlet has been thrown down! Does anyone want to take fanoush up on his bet?

I think the bet should go something like, "Which will ship first? The first batch of consumer Pandoras (production run > 500) vs the first batch of Maemo 5 lead devices that don't require an NDA?"

The reason I want to phrase it that way is that it isn't entirely clear if developers will get their Nokia devices before the general public this time. I think there will be a small number of Nokia devices released to selected developers (probably developers of Mer and the selected Fremantle Stars) very soon, probably by the time the Beta SDK is released. But those developers will be gagged by an NDA, I think.

So the bet is for the first non-NDA batch of Maemo 5 devices. I think they will be at least the same quantity as the first batch of Pandoras. And as for the Pandoras, they have to be from a production run, not hand built developer prototypes.

If the devices start arriving in peoples' hands within two weeks of each other, I say we declare a tie.

As for the prize... Is a "slight WSOD [White Screen Of Death]" something like "a little bit pregnant"?

(by the way, I have no extra knowledge -- they don't tell me nothin')
All talking about RX-51 or Maemo 5 lead device, which the RX-51/Rover/N900 certainly seems to be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The Thread Title is:
"Who will ship first? Pandora or Nokia Tablet?"
Oooh, semantics :-)

I'd be generous (not that I'm a judge) and say that Rover is still a "tablet" form-factor; it's not a clamshell - the primary top surface is a screen, and it has a slide out keyboard following the same mechanism as the last tablet.

Of course, since it was known Nokia were dropping "internet tablet", perhaps the *bet* should've been phrased about a Maemo 5 device.

In fact, what did the bet say? Can I have a meta-bet that it doesn't directly refer to the thread title (ISTR it referring to fanoush having a device)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
The triggers are control and alt. (Tab is, of course, ^I)
Hey, just kidding. Though I wouldn't have minded if they put in those keys in a more classic layout, too (just as I hate pressing ESC on the N810 even though it has a hw button for it) instead of a stylish trapezoid-ish layout.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post

I'd be generous (not that I'm a judge) and say that Rover is still a "tablet" form-factor; it's not a clamshell - the primary top surface is a screen, and it has a slide out keyboard following the same mechanism as the last tablet.

Of course, since it was known Nokia were dropping "internet tablet", perhaps the *bet* should've been phrased about a Maemo 5 device.

In fact, what did the bet say? Can I have a meta-bet that it doesn't directly refer to the thread title (ISTR it referring to fanoush having a device)
How about a meta-meta-bet that somebody takes Jaffa's meta-bet even though I just quoted the relevant details?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
welcome to the semantic web! enjoy it before HTML5 takes over and ruins it!

it's not a clamshell
seriously, i'd call a clamshell design a tablet. wouldn't you?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, so benny1967 has dropped out of the bet now that the Rover plans have apparently been leaked and they are for a device that is insufficiently tablet-like for him.

What? He was never involved in any bet? Oh. Well then. Carry on.

Tags
burtflitter, chinese food, christmas, christmas 2013, christmas 2666, credit card fraud, dnf, fata morgana, lies, omap3, pandora, pandora != real, pandora hoax, pandora is going to ship?, pandora v linear time war, retreating shipdate, ripoff, scam, speculation, virtualbox