Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
great news! one other thing - the "centre map" setting in options/view seems to get reset to OFF very often after it's been turned ON. as long as you don't touch anything after turning ON. the centring works great, but if you reroute, zoom in/out etc. it seems to revert to OFF.

I'd suggest the setting should be preserved in whatever state it's been set to - ideally across multiple program runs, reboots etc.?
This is actually working as intended. You can enable centering either from options or by clicking on the button with a small blue circle on the map screen. This button also indicates if centering is enabled:
  • red dot inside the blue circle = centering is ON
  • red dot outside the blue circle = centering is OFF + the dot points to the current position

To turn centering off:
  • click the centering button again
  • drag the map

Like this, centering can be quickly enabled and disabled, as needed.

But it seems, that simple clicking on buttons also disables centering, which is a bug and should be definitely fixed.

Optionally, I can also add a "drag to disable centering" toggle to the options menu. With this enabled, an (accidental) drag would not turn off the centering.

Looking forwrd to next release ...
Looks like the new package has been already imported.
I'll write more about the new features tomorrow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I second the request for "pixel doubling" zoom to allow easier reading of street names whilst on the move. My eys aint great, and this would make life a lot easier while walking through an unfamiliar city.
not to steal martinK's thunder, but I've updated to todays new version and it includes "map scale" as one of several new features

So, you can now set maps to x1, x2 or x4 pixel zoom - making it easy to read streetnames whilst on the go. (lack of) this feature has really annoyed me on ALL mobile mapping app's I've tried, so I'm really pleased that Modrana has now got it

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

I just love it when the voice calls a parkway a peekway.

so cute. I like this app.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I there something I'm missing, or do I need to make a request?

I was making a track while walking & my phone died. Fortunately I always have a spare battery or two, so I was back up within a minute or so, but it seems that ModRana wasn't saving my track so I lost it. Previously when I used Mappero in the same situation, the app kept my previous track & started tracking as soon as I started it, which is what I had hoped ModRana would have done. Is there anyway I can have it do that next time?

TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

not to steal martinK's thunder, but I've updated to todays new version and it includes "map scale" as one of several new features

So, you can now set maps to x1, x2 or x4 pixel zoom - making it easy to read streetnames whilst on the go. (lack of) this feature has really annoyed me on ALL mobile mapping app's I've tried, so I'm really pleased that Modrana has now got it
How do you turn this feature on? I can't find it in the menu anywhere. Does it work with all map image sources? TX
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

New features:

Automatic map rotation
  • OFF by default
  • can be enabled in options->map (because it is map related)
  • map rotates only with centering enabled
As the direction of travel is determined from movement (N900 unfortunately has no build-in magnetic compass), the map rotation seems to work OK for faster speeds (car,etc.).
It gets a bit jerky when walking, as the walking speed is sometimes insufficient to correctly determine the true direction so the reported direction changes widely.
I thing I'll add some sort of a animation/delay so the map rotates fluently a not just jumps from one orientation to another.
Also, the map rotates only when centering is enabled. I could not find any reasonable use for rotating the map without simultaneously following the current position.
When you disable centering, the map rotates back to the default "north up" orientation. I can make it so that it remembers the last orientation but stops rotating, if someone thinks it would be useful.

Map scaling
  • OFF by default
  • can be enabled in options->map
  • there are 3 modes: 1X (no resizing), 2X and 4X
  • works for all layers, including composited layers
This basically stretches one tile to the size of 4 or 16 ordinary tiles. As a result all features on the map (text, streets, etc.) are 2/4 times larger and of course a bit blurry.

BTW, I was quite worried about how resource intensive all the rotating and scaling would be, but there seems to be hardly any performance penalty.

Last edited by MartinK; 2010-09-14 at 17:14.

I went to study up on your wiki.

Not much there...

Originally Posted by grog View Post
I was making a track while walking & my phone died. Fortunately I always have a spare battery or two, so I was back up within a minute or so, but it seems that ModRana wasn't saving my track so I lost it. Previously when I used Mappero in the same situation, the app kept my previous track & started tracking as soon as I started it, which is what I had hoped ModRana would have done. Is there anyway I can have it do that next time?
Track logging currently works like this:
  • save current position + elevation + timestamp every N seconds to memory
  • every M seconds dump the complete in memory log to file (and replace the last used file)
By default N =1s and M = 10s, both can be configured in "tools" in the logging menu.

So when something goes wrong (the phone crashes, the power runs out, etc.) you should have the complete log without few seconds from the last dump.

There is currently no way to resume a log, but this can be added.

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I went to study up on your wiki.

Not much there...
Well, yeah. The only page that is currently up to date is the download section. The rest is quite behind the times and most of the new features are is not even mentioned. Also, there is a solid lack of screenshots for illustrating the various features.
As modRana recently got a proper domain name, I'll start updating the wiki soon.

BTW, a proper feature overview on the wiki is IMO quite important, as it is not possible to enable everything by default. Without a proper overview the users can easily miss many interesting features.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Track logging currently works like this:
  • save current position + elevation + timestamp every N seconds to memory
  • every M seconds dump the complete in memory log to file (and replace the last used file)
By default N =1s and M = 10s, both can be configured in "tools" in the logging menu.

So when something goes wrong (the phone crashes, the power runs out, etc.) you should have the complete log without few seconds from the last dump.
Good news. How would I retrieve that?

There is currently no way to resume a log,

but this can be added.
yeah! Yes Please

Thanks muchly

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps