Active Topics

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I recommend making an Ubuntu Live CD. Ubuntu is kind of a desktop-centric step-son of Debian, and they're very user-friendly. The Live CD will let you run Ubuntu on your PC without having to install anything. Everything you install will not affect your PC in the long term (although I guess you could partition your HD, which would have long term effects!)

Pretty much everything you learn in Ubuntu is directly transferable to Debian.
To add to that. There is also this which can save you from having to burn a disc and even can have persistent changes too
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
This is what I recommend to any newcomers who just want to test Linux out. Before making the inevitable move that is

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
To add to that. There is also this which can save you from having to burn a disc and even can have persistent changes too
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
This is what I recommend to any newcomers who just want to test Linux out. Before making the inevitable move that is
Thanks, but i will install debian straight off, it is after all a unused computer

Any useful links for newcomers about programming in linux?

Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
Thanks, but i will install debian straight off, it is after all a unused computer

Any useful links for newcomers about programming in linux?
Do you mean programming in linux as in C++/Python etc, or scripting? like the linux equivalent of batch files?

http://www.arachnoid.com/linux/shell_programming.html

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Do you mean programming in linux as in C++/Python etc, or scripting? like the linux equivalent of batch files?

http://www.arachnoid.com/linux/shell_programming.html
Right now i am mostly interested in how to write my own mousedriver, or a way to pipe the input from the touchscreen into the current mousedriver?
- And that is C++ i think ? To learn python seems like a unnecessary step, or is it?

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I'd suggest to have a look at the source code of xorg's existing mouse driver that ships with Debian:
http://packages.debian.org/source/sq...rg-input-mouse

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
I tried removing my v3d and installing v3e. I'm noticing that in v3e, when I do an apt-get-update and follow that with an attempt to install either R (r-base) or Inkscape, my phone restarts in the middle of the install process and won't let me back into ED thereafter. Going back to v3d, should've backed it up first.

OpenOffice 3.2 sure looked nice though!

I am getting a broken dpkg consistently in v3d now as well. Inkscape seemed to install but the executable won't run, and trying to install gnumeric restarts the phone and breaks dpkg.

Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
I am getting a broken dpkg consistently in v3d now as well. Inkscape seemed to install but the executable won't run, and trying to install gnumeric restarts the phone and breaks dpkg.
I'm becoming slightly annoyed with easy debian as it was the reason i bought my n900 in the first place. 50% of the apps i try to install do exactly as you described. the install chokes, reboots the phone, breaks dkg and i have to restore the easy debian .ext2 file from a backup. easy debian is slowly losing it's usefulness for me.

when i can install e.g. evolution as a test case then i'll start getting excited again. not happy.

Well, I hasten to add everything was working fine and I should have left well enough alone. Curiosity overcame good judgment and I should have backed up my .ext2 image first.

Can't really account for the changed behavior of the environment. Although I first installed ED right after I got the phone, and I suspect I have a lot more processes running now...

Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
Well, I hasten to add everything was working fine and I should have left well enough alone. Curiosity overcame good judgment and I should have backed up my .ext2 image first.

Can't really account for the changed behavior of the environment. Although I first installed ED right after I got the phone, and I suspect I have a lot more processes running now...
it never worked properly for me and easy debian was the first thing i installed on my phone. if anyone can install 'evolution' as a test example and their phone doesnt reboot,let me know and i'll see if i can figure out what's wrong with my particular setup.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze