Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
It seems that these days, the quality of contribution the forum (in the general areas) has declined dramatically. It's overrun by flamer's and fanboi's that are more interested in blind loyalty than constructive non-tribalistic discussion.

I think this is a flaw with the culture surrounding Maemo/MeeGo, manifested in this boards posts. It has been like this for a while, but has gotten worse. There are too many self-professed 'experts' that are more interested in 'thanks' karma than there are individuals willing to put their egos aside for the greater good. The mere mention of an idea contrary to a linux-norm is inviting slander and week long debates to have your idea even considered -- and if you're anything less than credible, they will eat you for lunch. It seems that this place attracts ideas, and then kills them.

In the end, it's far easier to just shut up and leave.

But here's the thing: even laypeople can have brilliant ideas. The trick is to keep an open mind; a quality this forum sadly lacks.

These days, the commentary has degraded to being slightly better than the comments you'll read on Engadget. If it weren't for this 'competitor' forum, I would have left some time ago.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
These days, the commentary has degraded to being slightly better than the comments you'll read on Engadget. If it weren't for this 'competitor' forum, I would have left some time ago.
Don't say that too loudly. The forum moderators seem to be far more thread-close-happy than usual. They might just make the jump to closing out ALL competitor talk that isn't negative, at this rate. :P Heh.. I had a constructive and interesting conversation in one thread that got closed out before I could even respond to questions someone had been asking me just because it was a MeeGo-critical thread. (ref: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...399#post935399 ...you'll note Reggie didn't get any thanks for that.). Oh well. I'm glad I found the Android platform's communities (plural!) in addition to this one when I did. Droid Fans on Facebook in particular has been LOTS of fun, actually. And, best of all, they seem to be optimistic and motivated. Something I haven't seen here in a long time.

I digress and agree with your sentiments. I'm still waiting for a proper upgrade from my N800. I still haven't seen it on ANY platform--even the mothership Maemo itself. That Toshiba very, very nearly meets my requirements in a lot of ways but still falls short in a few significant areas. (True open-source OS, preferably Debian based, HID profile bluetooth/mouse (maybe it will?), small--pocket sized preferably, etc)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-02-09 at 21:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Fake, gay and fake.

This reads like it was written by one of those un-informed engadget pundits who like to hi-five cumwads all over each other while twit blogging on their facespace.
Well, you can start your emergency evacuation process (or just yell "OMG! OMG! OMG!)... cause this one "un-informed engadget pundits who like to hi-five cumwads all over each other while twit blogging on their facespace" is running Nokia now.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Well, you can start your emergency evacuation process (or just yell "OMG! OMG! OMG!)... cause this one "un-informed engadget pundits who like to hi-five cumwads all over each other while twit blogging on their facespace" is running Nokia now.
I'm still available if he needs to talk it out over a beer or something. If he's too girly for that, maybe I can find a more sensitive girlboy for him to cry with. I, for one, am glad their new CEO recognizes that the platform is beginning to tilt downward. I would prefer to see Nokia prop itself back up and provide some viable and open competition.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@dan: Actually, I'm not all that happy about this whole Elop's memo thing. If that memo is true (and I'm quite certain it is, though I'm still hoping it isn't) it means to me that Nokia is about to lose a very big chunk of its corporate/brand personality.

Going Android/WP7 as a stopgap measure is understandable, as long as they still work on developing their own Qt delivery system... otherwise, Elop seems to have just made the deal of the century.... for Microsoft.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
@dan: Actually, I'm not all that happy about this whole Elop's memo thing. If that memo is true (and I'm quite certain it is, though I'm still hoping it isn't) it means to me that Nokia is about to lose a very big chunk of its corporate/brand personality.

Going Android/WP7 as a stopgap measure is understandable, as long as they still work on developing their own Qt delivery system... otherwise, Elop seems to have just made the deal of the century.... for Microsoft.
I tend to agree, although I feel that Nokia NEEDS to lose its very big, chunky, ample, grotesquely fat corporate ego... er brand personality, as you called it. I don't think Nokia was able to look past its fat gut to see that its toes were infected and rotting away. I would hope that whatever they do, they don't abandon their strive to create a competitive open-source promoting platform that has the potential to be uniquely better--but in the meantime, they've abandoned their health so badly that while they may not feel it, they're quickly heading toward a fatal state of illness they may never be able to pull back out of.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
WHOO!!

Flashable zip of Honeycomb on the Nook Color available now!

It's getting easier and cheaper to have a goooooood tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

It doesn't seem like a bad regroup strategy, but whether or not this is long-term remains to be seen. I agree, if this is long-term, then Nokia will be just another handset maker.

If they go WP7, they will still potentially be sacrificing the low/mid-end market, as WP7 is tied to a minimum spec, which is rather high-end -- this is Apple's territory. Android will continue to dominate the mid-range and slowly encroach on the entry low-end devices. Nokia would be fighting Apple, and to a lesser extent, Android for the high end with a platform that is yet to gain serious traction, and all the while leaving their strongest market vulnerable to a beast of a competitor which is known to be advancing.

Trying to capture the masses with the catch-up tactic of 'moar appz' is a losing battle. There's very little reason for developers to even consider Nokia's upcoming platform with Apple and Google gobbling up market share at a break neck pace.

The armchair CEO in me says, go Android, but differentiate with *something*. Maybe device tie-ins, or corporate functionality, but something. Buy time, fall back, and continue developing QT/MeeGo and searching for a good leader.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
WHOO!!

Flashable zip of Honeycomb on the Nook Color available now!

It's getting easier and cheaper to have a goooooood tablet.
This is a win!

These devices are becoming more and more like PCs with the freedom to customize the OS and quick releases. Hopefully this trend continues despite attempts at carrier/manufacturer lock-in.

It begins.
Windows Phone 7 may indeed be coming to nokia:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...microsoft.html

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy