Active Topics

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Let's try again:

It's not clear what is working/not working. If your keyboard is not fully functioning (ie all the keys does what they are supposed to) then you need to try each of:

pc101, pc102, pc104, (pc105) to see which works fully (preferably) or which gives the greatest number of functioning keys (consolation prize). When you have the above sussed out then you edit .btkeyboard and can use the Watcher script. If the above setxkbmap isn't able to configure your keyboard correctly then neither would the Watcher script.
Sorry, I formulated a bit clumsily. What I tried to say was:
- if I use the setxkbmap command, the keyboard does work, including the number keys.
- If I use the watcher script (v0.10), the number keys do not work.
Thanks for the patient answer though.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
my cheap generic chinese BT mouse used to work, no more........

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
- if I use the setxkbmap command, the keyboard does work, including the number keys.
OK

If I use the watcher script (v0.10), the number keys do not work.
When Watcher script is running, and then you connect the keyboard do you get a message saying that "keyboard connected"? If not, then Watcher is not detecting your keyboard and hence not running setxkbmap and hence doesn't work. Could it be similar to the problem snakekontrol had?:

Also, I had an apple wireless keyboard, and I couldn't get bt-dbus-connect to work, so I examined the script, and saw that it searches for device names with "mouse" or "keyboard" in it, and my keyboard was named ikey, so I changed that to iKeyboard, and worked flawlessly.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by qole View Post
WhiteWolf: we need to diagnose a bit more. Your internal keyboard numbers aren't working, that means your internal keyboard is probably not being configured at all (the script must fail).

Please do not start the watcher, connect your BT keyboard, and then, from the terminal, run the following:

Code:
bt-kbd-remap
Please post the output from this script.
Code:
~ $ bt-kbd-remap 
Int: (3) Ext: (4)
---
Setting ext keyboard layout:
setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us -print | xkbcomp - :0.0
---
setxkbmap -device 3
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete+nokia
compat:     complete
symbols:    nokia_vndr/rx-51(common)+nokia_vndr/rx-51(us)+inet(evdev)
geometry:   nokia(nokiarx51)
Change language to "us", the integrated keyboard on the N900.

Last edited by WhiteWolf; 2010-10-15 at 06:39.

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
I have the same but I lost my driver/manual CD. I don't even know how to put it in pairing mode. Idiot me

And because there is no manufacturer anywhere on the thing, I have no clue where to start looking for a copy.

Care to share how you got them talking together and configured with the correct layout ?
Thanks !

Heyo!
Sorry to hear you lost those bits!
You don't need the drivers for your N900 -- only if you plan on using this keyboard with other devices (palm, symbian?).

I did have to read the manual on the drivers CD to figure out how to put it into pairing mode, but it's simple: hold down:

"Cmd" + "Find" (the "Memo" key in the upper right corner)

then the red light should start blinking to indicate that it's in pairing mode.

What I did to get it working:

1) Paired the keyboard w/ N900 via regular N900 bluetooth settings panel
2) Turned off keyboard
3) Created a .btkeyboard file in my home directory w/ the appropriate entries (pc105, us, etc.) --> the defaults listed in this forum topic
4) Ran HID-Watcher script
5) Turned the keyboard back on, paired it up again
6) After doing this a few times, it started working

I'm not sure I ever got the HID-watcher working correctly... I ran it plenty of times but it didn't necessarily look like it was "doing" anything in particular. I ran through the sequence above a few times w/o (seeming) success, but at a certain point the keyboard starting supporting the special characters, numbers, etc. And now every time I pair it (normally), it continues to work.

hope this helps!

Sam

The Following User Says Thank You to splandorf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Has anyone gotten the pointer is visible and usable on the N900's browser?

If so how?

Last edited by WhiteWolf; 2010-10-22 at 08:30.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
OK

When Watcher script is running, and then you connect the keyboard do you get a message saying that "keyboard connected"? If not, then Watcher is not detecting your keyboard and hence not running setxkbmap and hence doesn't work. Could it be similar to the problem snakekontrol had?:
It does not, so I suppose the keyboard is not detected. I tried renaming it in the Bluetooth menu, that didn't help.
(I now made a QB widget with the setxkbmap command, that seems to work.)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It does not, so I suppose the keyboard is not detected. I tried renaming it in the Bluetooth menu, that didn't help.
Make sure your name has "keyboard" in the name. That's what the watcher script is looking for.

(I now made a QB widget with the setxkbmap command, that seems to work.)
You should be able to make a widget that runs /usr/bin/bt-kbd-remap for the same results.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Make sure your name has "keyboard" in the name. That's what the watcher script is looking for.
I did, without result. But I also noticed that if I run BT HID Connect again, it reverts to the old name (Think Outside Keyboard), so maybe the name in the BT settings is ignored by the system?
Note that the original name does contain 'Keyboard', but with a capital letter. Would that matter?

You should be able to make a widget that runs /usr/bin/bt-kbd-remap for the same results.
Is the one better than the other?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Note that the original name does contain 'Keyboard', but with a capital letter. Would that matter?
That should work... Not sure why it doesn't... maybe we need to do some command-line diagnostics here.

Is the one better than the other?
Well the bt-kbd-remap script is the one that comes with these scripts. If you're only using a keyboard, you aren't using the watcher, and you're just putting the raw command in a widget, you really don't need this package at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, keyboard, mouse, package