Active Topics

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Can anyone make a tutorial for dummies, because I don't have a clue how to install it (I have already downloaded the 2Gb file)?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Heman1310 View Post
Can anyone make a tutorial for dummies
no tutorial needed - after installing easy-deb-chroot, you have a menuentry called "debian image in(staller)", which does all the work for you.

a bit more info: http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I can confirm as well. I d/l'd Easy Debian maybe 2-3 weeks ago. Did the upgrade to 51-1. Just loaded open office writer and was typing by a count of 34 one thousand. Very fast relatively.

I didn't do any apt-upgrades or anything, just the "stock" image file.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Quoting from another thread:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Hibernica:

1) Don't update the image. It isn't meant to be updated. There are many problems with trying to update the image, one the worst of which is the fact that OpenOffice no longer runs. Many of the problems are the fault of the Debian armel Sid distribution, which seems to be in a particularly bad state right now.
Ahhhh! I wish I would have known that before. Is there a good set of current and official docs for Easy Debian explaining this type of things? If not, then that should be a priority, especially if Easy Debian is ever going to reach the Extras repo.

One thing I would like to see is a choice of images to use, each of them customized a little different. For example, we could have different size images, ones with KDE and Qt libs already installed, etc. I would personally love to see an image with lyx already installed.

But, thanks for the most jaw dropping experience on my N900 so far.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2010-01-19 at 18:50.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Is there a good set of current and official docs for Easy Debian explaining this type of things? If not, then that should be a priority, especially if Easy Debian is ever going to reach the Extras repo.
That would be great. It would be fantastic if someone could go through the Easy Debian threads and distill the best bits into the dusty, crufty, crappy old wiki page.

There are a lot of people quietly using Easy Debian. This would be a great way to contribute to the project.

One thing I would like to see is a choice of images to use, each of them customized a little different. For example, we could have different size images, ones with KDE and Qt libs already installed, etc. I would personally love to see an image with lyx already installed.
That would be great, too. You could start with a bare Debian rootfs and add "suites" of apps. Then tar up the rootfs and I'll let you upload it to my server for others to use. I could probably even add contributed images to my installer.

But, thanks for the most jaw dropping experience on my N900 so far.
You're welcome. Feel free to contribute in any way!

EDIT: And as for the warning against updating the image -- that's a fairly new warning. Something has broken badly in OpenOffice for ARM and we'd love them to fix it...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Qole, after dcarter's post above, it's likely that the magics is in 51-1. The other thing I've done is sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade on the debian distro (which btw gave me errors about a conflict between lxsession and lxsession-lite).

Try by yourself... Might be that one of your several N900 devices deserves a reflashing
I only have one device (the other has found an excellent home elsewhere) and I noticed no speed improvement in OpenOffice after 51-1. I will have to do some more research...

Also, yes, LXDE is quite updated now. It uses wicd for network connectivity, which doesn't work due to the usual GConf errors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
That would be great. It would be fantastic if someone could go through the Easy Debian threads and distill the best bits into the dusty, crufty, crappy old wiki page.

There are a lot of people quietly using Easy Debian. This would be a great way to contribute to the project.

That would be great, too. You could start with a bare Debian rootfs and add "suites" of apps. Then tar up the rootfs and I'll let you upload it to my server for others to use. I could probably even add contributed images to my installer.

You're welcome. Feel free to contribute in any way!

EDIT: And as for the warning against updating the image -- that's a fairly new warning. Something has broken badly in OpenOffice for ARM and we'd love them to fix it...
I made some updates to the wiki. Hopefully it is less confusing. I didn't go through the FAQ section. Have to run.

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
I added a warning in the Wiki about doing an update/upgrade.

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
If that is still an issue, for the keyboard layout: just put "@setxkbmap de" in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart in your debian chroot for the german layout...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dukenukem For This Useful Post:
Hi I am downloading debian-m5-v2.img.ext2.bz2 from http://qole.org/files/ because I don't have an internet connection on my n900, my question is how do I install it on my n900, through app manager or do I have to use commands in xterminal ?

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze