Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Thanks for the feedback! I will look into that once I have actually ported the hildon specific parts over. Then might add it to Garage as well but only if users like the software enough. I don't want to add yet another PIM to Garage, I want to add one which is better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
what i like to find out is what libsyncml is used for. from what i can tell from the page, it seems to only be experimentally used to import contacts from syncml enabled devices (like say mobile phones)...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Also, you may be interested in using mud to help you repackage and port upstream packages.

Relaunch and presentation on day 2 of the summit. And I think the first draft of the slides are finally finished ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
I meant they (Debian, penguinbait) just make sure it compiles and starts - no thinking about defaults, tablet specific settings etc.

For example you can make it look just like default GPE look: one day wiev, month view, todos. Or even less for better look and fit. KOrganizer (and whole Kontact) is really flexible. Not as powerful as Outlook but this gap is closing.

It is good to mention that person which is currently working on porting of KDE4 (including KDE-PIM) to Maemo is Nokia's Qt Software employee. Note: he may do it in his free time or means as framework testing but maybe, maybe...
Well this seems to be talking shat about me? First of all I changed many setting so the defaut KDE will be more usefull on the tablet. The fact that I am not a developer, and I cannot change code makes it pretty hard for me to alter the code and provide a tablet friendly version. That said KDE on tablet is very VERY usefull and works very well. If however you have problems seeing small text, it may not be too usefull.

I have always maintained KDE on the tablet (compiled by me) was a proof of concept. I think it worked so well Nokia decided to buy QT

I guess what I want to try to convey, is there was plenty of thought, time and effort that went into making my KDE version more tablet friendly. But as I said I am NOT a developer. I have also ALWAYS encouraged REAL KDE developers to make this more than a hack, to make it a supported alternative to Maemo.

I compiled 100+ packages and made a workable environment. So how about "Hey thanks for showing it can be done" and a "Perhaps we can all come together to make it better"

I can't wait until Nokia does it right, until then, I'll enjoy KDE the best way I can.

If something is close to good, encourage it to be better, dont complain and say people didn't put in any effort to do it right by your standards.

pb
Better late than never!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-09-19 at 15:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
FWIW, the infamous "PIM question" was asked this afternoon here at the summit, during the Desktop track. The Nokia presenter was coy in his answer (but they all are, ATM), but interestingly it wasn't an outright 'No' like we've had before. It does seem official that maemo5 will have improved contacts and a new calendar component/framework/thingamajing. so all bets are open.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yeah, it was asked on the developer session too and they said "we are not allowed to talk about this"... There is something cooking...

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Isn't that the Calender engine that was mentioned earlier this week?

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Is someone going to give the group a summary of today's events?

Yeah, we are But since there is a party, i'm unable to

Okay, at least i'm going to give some hints before going to bed exhausted. Nokia clarified many things about the platform, but didn't say anything about the device/devices. Since the beta SDK (code freeze) is targeted for around March - May next year, i'd say the device is going to appear about as early as June - August. It will have OMAP3, rich GUI based on Clutter, unified multimedia framework and quite a number of breaking things. They are talking about API compatibility, but i'm sure there won't be any platform compatibility compared to OS2008. They're going to ease the portability of applications to the new platform - that means syncing the codebase upstream.

Also they're dubious as to which language to support additionally to C in the future. OpenBossa's Python is the favourite right now, but my opinion is that Vala will be easier to support - it doesn't need any platform changes, only SDK's, it only needs a small number of bindings (some of them are done already) and there's already a more pythonish kind of Vala called Genie

I'm going to publish my notes tommorow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: