Active Topics

Notices

I am also trying to access http://rickybrent.com/maemo/debs and I am also getting Error 403. Any suggestions?

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Yeesh, okay, okay! Sorry, I added Options +Indexes to the .htaccess file.

Keep in mind if you want to use that version of Abiword that I have not updated it in a long time; recompiling with the latest versions Ryan has made would probably fix a few of those bugs.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
Keep in mind if you want to use that version of Abiword that I have not updated it in a long time; recompiling with the latest versions Ryan has made would probably fix a few of those bugs.
...his version is still pretty borked...

Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post

For those of you wanting to help, here are the bugs to fix:
Dependency tree of bugs for 2007 release
Dependency tree of bugs for 2008 release

And, here's the link of all Maemo-only bugs
When those lists are empty (that is, all the bugs are fixed) for a particular OS release, I will release AbiWord on Maemo publicly.
...and it doesn't look good for the short term...

I'm currently doing a Google Summer of Code project that isn't Maemo-related, so I'm lacking time.
Sigh...

(It may sound like it, but) I'm not just being a self-centered prick when I say you should consider installing my Easy Debian Package and just use the Abiword from there, perhaps in IceWM.

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-09 at 22:06. Reason: Screenshot added

Originally Posted by qole View Post
(It may sound like it, but) I'm not just being a self-centered prick when I say you should consider installing my Easy Debian Package and just use the Abiword from there, perhaps in IceWM.
If anyone wants, it's actually very easy to get a native diablo/chinook abiword package that is not hildonized. You still don't get a popup keyboard, though, so there's not much point.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
If anyone wants, it's actually very easy to get a native diablo/chinook abiword package that is not hildonized. You still don't get a popup keyboard, though, so there's not much point.
Maybe point people to where they can get that copy. Could you throw together a .deb even?

Because even without a popup keyboard, a lot of people can use AbiWord now. The N810 has a built-in hardware keyboard, remember...

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-10 at 16:34.

Well, I realize that I apparently need more publicity to be able to reach developers who can help bust those last bugs. It's disappointing to me that folks would rather duplicate effort than come to the (very friendly) upstream AbiWord and work on the necessary tasks, but I will try to be positive and believe that after this post we'll have an influx of maemo users and expertise

Anyway, I have some exciting news! I'm pleased to announce that AbiWord Internet Tablet Edition is now available in an open beta, through the Maemo Extras-Devel repository for Chinook and Diablo. I've tried it on Chinook on my N810 and it seems reasonably well functioning, haven't tried it on an N800 or tested those bugs in the list yet.

Notes:
You need to add the extras-devel repository to your application manager and refresh the catalog, and it will appear. (Should be the top one in the list or close to it ) Be careful updating from this catalog things that aren't AbiWord, since they might be development or buggy versions.
This does _not_ require debian or any of those other workarounds/pseudo-hacks.
This _is_ hildonized and looks darn nice.
This is _not_ perfect - please file bugs at http://bugzilla.abisource.com/
This is _not_ for bora yet - there's no autobuilder for Bora which means I need to have a nice little struggle with Scratchbox to build those
This does _not_ include ODF or OOXML support yet - I will add this soon. I might end up replacing the current packaging with the new snazzy packaging I've been working with joshk on for Ubuntu and Debian.
This is a build of 2.6.3, the latest stable version and official tarballs. The hildonization is in the upstream source as it has been for a long time (look at ./configure ), and the packaging is on the maemo garage project SVN - I need to commit one set of changes that made it work in the autobuilder, but it works in Scratchbox on its own with no modification.
Generally speaking (cross platform), AbiWord 2.6.4 will be out soon with lots of improvements, and I'll upload new versions then that you can update using the Application Manager.
You do _not_ need red pill mode or anything weird, just extras-devel for your distro.

Obligatory screenshots:

AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to megabyte405 For This Useful Post:
Well, I realize that I apparently need more publicity to be able to reach developers who can help bust those last bugs. It's disappointing to me that folks would rather duplicate effort than come to the (very friendly) upstream AbiWord and work on the necessary tasks, but I will try to be positive and believe that after this post we'll have an influx of maemo users and expertise
Some of us have insufficient programming expertise to help you "bust those bugs", but they can compile already existing programs. Others of us with insufficient programming expertise can run apt-get install in a Debian chroot or some other "workaround / hack"

Anyway, I have some exciting news! I'm pleased to announce that AbiWord Internet Tablet Edition is now available in an open beta, through the Maemo Extras-Devel repository for Chinook and Diablo. I've tried it on Chinook on my N810 and it seems reasonably well functioning, haven't tried it on an N800 or tested those bugs in the list yet.
Thank you very much, Ryan!

Note that because this thread is long and unwieldy, I'm moving discussion to a new one, and reposting only the presently-useful parts. Here's the new thread - if you want updates, please subscribe to it:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=202299

PS. Thanks, qole - Yeah, I know everybody can't code (bug finding and qa/bug verification - "does this still happen or does it work fine now" - is pretty easy though) - hence why I had to weigh the balance between putting out a beta quality official release publicly, and having people risk their devices and data with binaries with much better alternatives. Hence why we have a publicly available binary now
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Last edited by megabyte405; 2008-07-12 at 22:36. Reason: make it clearer that this thread would do best closed :)

The Following User Says Thank You to megabyte405 For This Useful Post:
It's disappointing to me that folks would rather duplicate effort than come to the (very friendly) upstream AbiWord and work on the necessary tasks,
I'd just like to say -- after a big thank you to Ryan for making the beta public -- that the Abiword developers ARE really friendly; nobody should hesitate to report bugs or do testing for them, because they're really nice people.

I started to try and help out a little bit several months back -- not long after making that build, which was based off of instructions Ryan had posted -- but got a new job that's been devouring all my time, free and otherwise. (When I post now, it's usually from work.)