repost from a diff thread as seem this issue has similarity to this post:

Hello there, I have recently noticed that I see some horizontal lines showing up when chatting up in skype or facebook. Its only been 2 weeks since i got the n9. Dec 5th is the day I powered the N9 on.

Problem description:
Nokia N9 64gb - no mods.

Lines showing up on the N9 while chatting on FB or Skype.
The lines are showing horizontal. Upward direction while in landscape mode.
Lines have a green/pinkish tint to them.
Lines are very visible when the keyboard is out.

Testing:
The lines are specially visible when you are in landscape mode and viewing it form an angle. I have set up the brightness to its lowest and one can see it clearly. Max brightness Its hard to tell until you really look close. Also in portrait mode I can see that the left side of the screen is darker compared to the right side. This might be due to the keyboard layout when its in landscape mode. Further more the lines are very visible when the keyboard is out in landscape mode.

Is it something to do with the white background of the phone?
Tested it out with the clock on the N9 as it has also somewhat whitish bg on it. Cannot discern the lines.

Next testing area is the browser, default browser for the nokia n9 shows some lines in landscape mode. Portrait mode almost none.
This happens again in the lowest possible brightness setting. Max brightness still visible but you have to really look closely in portrait mode. Most visible when the keyboard is out.

Conclusion:
Testing confirms that in the lowest brightness setting the phone shows lines of green/pinkish tint while in white bg. Very visible in landscape mode especially when the keyboard is out.
Max brightness not so much visible.

Is there anyway to confirm this from other n9 users?

I cant take a photo of it atm as it is raining and gloomy here. (will update on this)

What can I do to fix this? Any advice is much appreciated.

~ This is the same issue that benny1967 and wierd0 posted, no black dots on the phone's physical screen though. Just the annoying lines when viewing webpages or chatting in skype and fb. ~

Can anyone who has an N9 confirm that they do indeed DO NOT have the pink/green streak of lines mentioned in this thread? As I am about to return this beautiful product to my online retailer for a new one if its applicable.

Much love and thanks

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I can confirm that the lines are definitely there on my N9 but they're hardly noticable. I guess all N9 show the lines to some degree.

I don't have the dark blotches mentioned earlier, but I do have very faint pinkish lines when scrolling against a white background in the web browser. Since it only occurs in landscape mode (how about portrait when viewed from the side?), might it be a product of the Pentile subpixel arrangement?

Thank you for the replies, I guess it will be useless to return the product because of the lines in landscape mode since its penTile related. Portrait mode the lines are not so much visible, hardly noticeable until you look at it in a magnifying glass. The black dots are not on my phone either. I believe it is caused my the glue they used while manufacturing the screen. I do not think Nokia manufactures their own screens.

I wish I would have never read this thread as I started noticing them after it got described here lol.

Now my question is, does the lines bother you? Or should I say how are you able to live with it? This is my first penTile smartphone.

Again an update on my situation. Having complained, by email, to the store about the green/red lines and the color depth of the display I got a reply that basically said that they still weren't willing to refund me even with the added color depth complaint.

Since the email didn't include any details regarding how the store manager had gone about forming the conclusion that they didn't consider the color depth issue serious enough, I replied and asked whether he had asked Nokia about it and whether either Nokia or the store were still willing to admit that the display did not conform to the advertised specs. What I got back was basically a restatement of the earlier, "Sorry still no refund." email that didn't answer either of my questions.

I again got in touch with the consumer ombudsman who directly contacted Nokia. This morning she got back to me with the news that Nokia had stated that although they admit that the display does not match the promised specs they do not consider the issue to be bothersome enough for the user to warrant a refund. So it's basically the same story as with the green/red lines but now they at least admit that they are wrong instead of saying, "It's not a defect it a feature!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teemu R For This Useful Post:
If I'm seeing the same lines that you're seeing, I personally would not want to return my N9 (even if I could!).

However, I'm not at all bothered by the screen of my N9, as these lines are very faint, only occasional and have to be sought to be noticed. So if your phone's issue is bothering you, its possible we're seeing different things. Might be worth asking the store/manufacturer if a return would be possible, or trying out another N9 to see if the same issues are present.

Originally Posted by navot View Post
Thank you for the replies, I guess it will be useless to return the product because of the lines in landscape mode since its penTile related. Portrait mode the lines are not so much visible, hardly noticeable until you look at it in a magnifying glass. The black dots are not on my phone either. I believe it is caused my the glue they used while manufacturing the screen. I do not think Nokia manufactures their own screens.

I wish I would have never read this thread as I started noticing them after it got described here lol.

Now my question is, does the lines bother you? Or should I say how are you able to live with it? This is my first penTile smartphone.

Originally Posted by navot View Post
Can anyone who has an N9 confirm that they do indeed DO NOT have the pink/green streak of lines mentioned in this thread? As I am about to return this beautiful product to my online retailer for a new one if its applicable.

Much love and thanks
When you're free, can you please take some photos of how the lines look like? And under what conditions they appear, other than the brightness.

So far(have had the N9 for 1 month+), I only see the usual slight pink or blue tint when viewing at an angle, no lines of any sort or colour.

I just got another new N9 (Austrian Product Code) and it has a black dot (d=2.5mm), I can see it when it's completely dark.

Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
When you're free, can you please take some photos of how the lines look like? And under what conditions they appear, other than the brightness.

So far(have had the N9 for 1 month+), I only see the usual slight pink or blue tint when viewing at an angle, no lines of any sort or colour.
I can't take a picture as the N9 is really my only semi-capable camera, sorry. However if you'd like to try and replicate what I'm seeing, I find it's worst when zoomed into headings on the Engadget home page.

As I can see, the lines appear in pink and green on pixel rows with elements on a light background. As they appear perpendicular to text in landscape, and parallel with text in portrait, I'd suggest this is definitely a quirk with the Pentile subpixel arrangement.