Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by hanishh View Post
Hi,
I have the charger port broken on my nokia n900, I gave it to a local repair shop and he spoilt the data tracks as he said. Then he told he has used some jumpers and brought my phone to a working state. The problem now is that, When I connect the USB cable from pc, it recognises and charges and also can do data transfer. But now if i unplug (safely and unsafely) from pc, i see the charging indicator on screen and Led on the phone shows charging for about 15, 20 min and stops, then connect to a charger, it does not recognise it. It does not recognise even if i connect in between those 15,20 min. If I switch the phone off and then on and charge it using wall charger it charges, but this time, the charging indicator remains on for ever and now if i connect to my computer, pc does not recognise the phone. Hence again I need to turn the phone off and on and then the pc recognises.
Hence once the phone is on i can either charge using wall charger or charge and transfer data using usb on pc.
Also when i put the battery in, the Phone boots for a second, 'nokia' comes up and switches off. Then i can power it on.
Please tell me what might have gone wrong.
Absolutely nothing wrong your device is acting normal . Phew.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I have a new surface mount microUSB port coming from an eBay seller in a few weeks, is there another known best or strongest port manufacturer or supplier though?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-USB-Data-P...item33677d9dd8
This ebay microUSB port looks to have significantly more surface area on the sides and with my scraped and tinned groundplane I am hoping it will hold but I also have been having issues with the internals of the microUSB port coming loose even after I reattached the port thus the replacement.
Has anyone ever been successful with the through hole connection route? My concern is hitting an active layer in the multilayer circuit board and shorting it to ground. Ebay has some nice looking through hole anchor microSD ports with surface mount data, ground, and power lines.
Re-installing my original Nokia USB port required the use of a 15x eye loupe since the contacts are so small. I plan to use magnet wire extensions to connect the data and power lines only soldering the port itself directly to the board when the replacement microUSB port arrives.
That is one hell of a high price for a usb replacement wow, as for magnetic wire stay well clear of it and solder properly with a fine tip.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vampula, Finland
Originally Posted by muppis View Post
I got pissed off, but calming down right now.

In my device USB got loose, so I sended for repair less than two weeks ago.

Today I asked what's going on. I got report from service that Nokia is replacing it with retail packed N8, which is kind of successor for N900 (say what?), and N8 is already on it way to me.

For my luck, with two phone calls I got N8 replaced back to (brand new, I hope) N900. This is definitely last Nokia branded phone which I bought. I really hope MeeGo gets it wings with Intel/ZTE/non-Nokia manufacturer.
Update:

I got call from service company. They are sending a replacement to store where I left my unit for repair. Caller didn't want to say is it new or refurbished, just called it as a replacement unit. We'll see.

hey, thanks for the reply, my phone recognises the charger or cable only in this manner,
when turned off, connect it to usb or charger, then turn on, it works....He has connected only two jumper wires and ground. please help....

For Palco Repair, how much can I expect to pay? I know it says $68 and $8 for shipping but that's only an estimate. My usb port is still inside the phone, it just refuses to charge. I just don't want to end up paying more then necessary to have the phone fixed.

I'm reckoning that with the increasing number of USB port breakages based on the sheer size of this thread a fully working and un-repaired N900 is likely to become something of a rarity .. wonder what the record is for the longest thread...?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm keeping my survey open, so fill it out and add a post with details: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...-do-something/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Long time browser first time poster.
Two weeks ago after noticing that my port had started to become loose i searched for the problem online and came about numerous forums discussing the fault, the next morning after charging my phone i discover the port hanging off the end of the charger and thinking that as it is such a well documented problem I really shouldn't have a problem getting it repaired or replaced.
I took the phone into the Western Australia Morley care centre and after two days was given the response that it will not be repaired due to "water damage".
I took care of this phone have never once spilt a drop of anything on it and they dismiss my claim as water damage. I asked to speak to the manager with printouts from numerous forums in regards to the problem and was still met with the same response due to water damage we will not be repairing or replacing this phone 11 months into a 24 month contract. I then asked for a number where i could make a complaint and was handed a business card with the customer care number on it, after calling for 25 min on hold i was met by a lady who told me that not only can she not take a complaint from me but if i did want to make a complaint i should email the manager of the customer care centre that i had been speeaking to face to face only 5 min previously the one who had told me to call this number.
Now i am stuck with a useless brick of a phone and no further avenue i can think of to get the service i deserve. I am 27 years old and have been using only nokia phones since i was 17 the service i have received from the care centre as well as the help line is the most disgraceful customer service i have ever received and for the first time in 10 years i am looking to purchase a phone not branded nokia. Congratulations Nokia on a job well done!

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by just_pete View Post
Long time browser first time poster.
Two weeks ago after noticing that my port had started to become loose i searched for the problem online and came about numerous forums discussing the fault, the next morning after charging my phone i discover the port hanging off the end of the charger and thinking that as it is such a well documented problem I really shouldn't have a problem getting it repaired or replaced.
I took the phone into the Western Australia Morley care centre and after two days was given the response that it will not be repaired due to "water damage".
I took care of this phone have never once spilt a drop of anything on it and they dismiss my claim as water damage. I asked to speak to the manager with printouts from numerous forums in regards to the problem and was still met with the same response due to water damage we will not be repairing or replacing this phone 11 months into a 24 month contract. I then asked for a number where i could make a complaint and was handed a business card with the customer care number on it, after calling for 25 min on hold i was met by a lady who told me that not only can she not take a complaint from me but if i did want to make a complaint i should email the manager of the customer care centre that i had been speeaking to face to face only 5 min previously the one who had told me to call this number.
Now i am stuck with a useless brick of a phone and no further avenue i can think of to get the service i deserve. I am 27 years old and have been using only nokia phones since i was 17 the service i have received from the care centre as well as the help line is the most disgraceful customer service i have ever received and for the first time in 10 years i am looking to purchase a phone not branded nokia. Congratulations Nokia on a job well done!
Have you checked Nokia's website, perhaps you'll be able to do a warranty repair through that, and it might go off to a more centralised repair centre where they are familiar with this problem.

Failing that are there any consumer protection bodies you can get in touch with because there is no way water damage will cause the USB port to fall off before killing the device, so they really should be required to honour your warranty.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Have you checked Nokia's website, perhaps you'll be able to do a warranty repair through that, and it might go off to a more centralised repair centre where they are familiar with this problem.

Failing that are there any consumer protection bodies you can get in touch with because there is no way water damage will cause the USB port to fall off before killing the device, so they really should be required to honour your warranty.
I am trying the nokia website now but after the face to face experience i have had so far i must say i go in a little pessimistic. Thanks for the reply though.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty