Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
craves1,

since the driver is already available in linux, I would imagine the driver could be built and made available quite easily.

my software - liqbase - makes use of the camera very freely and I long to have it facing the other way.
I've got some really cool ideas I want to try but can't without one at the front.

I've got an n800 on its way to me, but would be really interested in a higher resolution one.
does anyone else think a camera would make a worthy addon?

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
craves1,

since the driver is already available in linux, I would imagine the driver could be built and made available quite easily.

my software - liqbase - makes use of the camera very freely and I long to have it facing the other way.
I've got some really cool ideas I want to try but can't without one at the front.

I've got an n800 on its way to me, but would be really interested in a higher resolution one.
does anyone else think a camera would make a worthy addon?
Unfortunately I am not a software engineer and as the manufacture of the camera is saying there isn't any source code for the driver since it uses the native OS drivers. But like you said it should be easy to make (maybe). If there is enough interest I can make the camera happen. It will fit in the Metal cover.

I tried your software and I like it a lot. I would though like to know how to backup the data base so if I wanted to re-flash my tablet or move it between tablets it would be easy. I never save all my data in one location without a backup. I mostly like the graffiti wall Idea. I decided to look into the camera when I saw how your software worked with hand written notes. This has been my main way of storing notes for more than 15 years. The one thing I would like is to be able to take notes of news clips, receipts, magazines and business cards with notes about them when I am traveling.

I want one device that can do as much as possible that is not a cell phone. The future is 2 devices that are always connected to each other. Most of the people I know are carrying two cell phones are a cell phone and a mini PC of some kind. The cell phones today are too small for most things but making phone calls. That’s if you want to keep you vision.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by craves1 View Post

I tried your software and I like it a lot. I would though like to know how to backup the data base so if I wanted to re-flash my tablet or move it between tablets it would be easy. I never save all my data in one location without a backup. I mostly like the graffiti wall Idea. I decided to look into the camera when I saw how your software worked with hand written notes. This has been my main way of storing notes for more than 15 years. The one thing I would like is to be able to take notes of news clips, receipts, magazines and business cards with notes about them when I am traveling.
As far as I know, and lcuk can correct me here, all the data is in /home/user/.liqbase/

And, does the anyone know of a camera that works with the N810? Everything I have tried requires more power than the N810 can offer, so a hub and power supply would be necessary. Aside from the drivers, this problem has to be solved first.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
As far as I know, and lcuk can correct me here, all the data is in /home/user/.liqbase/

And, does the anyone know of a camera that works with the N810? Everything I have tried requires more power than the N810 can offer, so a hub and power supply would be necessary. Aside from the drivers, this problem has to be solved first.

I am looking for a way to do it that is very easy and do not require anything other than file manager. It should be easy enough for anybody to just copy and save. Or maybe just a built-in backup to the SD card.

As far as the power for the camera modules I am thinking of using, the tablet would be able to handle them without a hub or extrenal power supply.
I just need to get past the Driver and the software that would take the pictures and save them to the SD card. These are the same modules you would find in other Mini computers or Mids.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Unfortunately I am not a software engineer and as the manufacture of the camera is saying there isn't any source code for the driver since it uses the native OS drivers. But like you said it should be easy to make (maybe). If there is enough interest I can make the camera happen. It will fit in the Metal cover.

I want one device that can do as much as possible that is not a cell phone. The future is 2 devices that are always connected to each other. Most of the people I know are carrying two cell phones are a cell phone and a mini PC of some kind. The cell phones today are too small for most things but making phone calls. That’s if you want to keep you vision.

craves,

I am enthralled with the prospects for interaction with a real camera.
I want things like instant postcards and writing on the back of a polaroid, even things like receipts and dinner orders is there, I'm also trying to incorporate almost automatic barcode scanning, just a barcode icon to enable it anytime the camera is out.

I know nothing about how to actually scan a barcode though, but know its feasible from the discussions with lardman and his library.

Simply storing the scanned codes in the stream would be ideal
whether or not there was a net connection, getting the data in quickly and without a fuss is the aim.

The sketching is developing even further, I have an improved render view in mind which will put together threads of your notes in logical sequence (as well as the current graffiti view).

I want it to include the images taken with the camera and sketches as well as the tiny snapshots of notes you make along the day

on startup liqbase briefly displays the actual data folder in use that time, though by default it is exactly where Thesandlord said

Thesandlord,

I don't know of any, how about you start a proper camera thread and ask?

lcuk

Sounds like what I want is covered.

One question, can you put a drawing exporter that would export the notes to PDF so I can share my hand written notes?

Just a request.

Thank

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
lcuk

Sounds like what I want is covered.

One question, can you put a drawing exporter that would export the notes to PDF so I can share my hand written notes?

Just a request.

Thank
He is working on svg support no?

Barcode scanner would be very sweet, mostly if craves can bundle in a camera.

Craves, can you possibly make an adapter with a standard USB host port on it, so we can just attach our own devices without any wires running around? This would be SO cool!

Maybe even a small hub with battery pack to have like 3 USB ports.

dont really care about size, as long as it is not HUGE

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
He is working on svg support no?

Barcode scanner would be very sweet, mostly if craves can bundle in a camera.

Craves, can you possibly make an adapter with a standard USB host port on it, so we can just attach our own devices without any wires running around? This would be SO cool!

Maybe even a small hub with battery pack to have like 3 USB ports.

dont really care about size, as long as it is not HUGE
Anything I make must be requested by enough people to pay for the development. So far a hub is not on the drawing board. The tilt sensor, second Flash card or Flash drive and maybe a camera seems to be the most requested. It will all depend on how much of the first adapter I sell to pay for the development of it also.

I am thinking of putting the port on the outside of the kickstand but there may not be enough room since I am trying to keep the metal cover as thin as possible.

I am also developing a leather cover for the Tablet with the adapter and metal cover installed. The metal cover makes for a new way to put a leather cover on the tablet.

Thanks

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
This guys webcam driver for Linux works for virtualy everything. I'd bet it's the best place to start. http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
A USB webcam working well on the tablet:

http://blog.locationist.net/2008/03/...g-goes-webcam/

EDIT: I think you should sell the vanilla kit with custom cover for a while. It will probably sell very well. Then start selling upgrades to your vanilla kit with a camera, tilt sensor, etc.

But I think there are many, many people impatiently waiting for those covers to become available...

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-07 at 07:15.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
16gb on n810, 32g n810, memory upgards for n810, memory upgrade n810