Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Mozilla and H.264... not gonna happen easily. $5 million in yearly licensing - read here...

And Flash... Gordon works on the iPhone as well as N-series tablets. Work in progress, but a lot of people are watching this too.

The iPad isn't for me. The N810 was. So was the 770. The N900 isn't for me.

But I have totally different needs than what's being brought up in this thread... I'm a programmer, but I know most laptops that won't crush my lap isn't an option. I need Java, Flex, Flash, Photoshop... so even the mighty N900 falls way short.

And the iPad fell even shorter. But I won't sit here and act like Maemo is perfect. It's not. I won't talk about the CPU - it runs a system with more developers and corporations behind it. DRM? Sure... amazingly enough you can buy audiobooks via Ovi on your N900 and can't even play them now. Work out the problems in your own backyard before pointing at another talking about "reality distortion fields", "marketing", "hype", et al.

The N900 was (here) hyped. I think it fell flat - forward facing camera that's as useful as the one on the N810 - read: not at all useful. Can't view Hulu - Adobe can be blamed, but Nokia should keep Adobe on the platform and up-to-date (I know, I know... it's an update away, it's coming... it's not here right now is it?)...

Nokia has a great platform. Even greater community. But damn, nitpicking about the competition that offers a few more things than what's out there - what's the last updated software that came from a third-party? And when will Ovi actually work for the N900?

I also want Nokia/Maemo to do well. Hell, I've been stupid enough to purchase two internet tablets already. I'd buy a third one if they get more support.

iPad... still doesn't have true multi-tasking. Now, Nokia needs to get some traction post haste.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
1) Not pitched to programmers so doesn't matter
2) voice: it has a mic and speakers. nuff said
3) video: see my previous post
4) live video: you missed the wifi?
Actually 2) buy an iPhone while you browse with the iPad, while syncing with your iMac and iPod.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can't view Hulu - Adobe can be blamed, but Nokia should keep Adobe on the platform and up-to-date (I know, I know... it's an update away, it's coming... it's not here right now is it?)...

Hulu is useless, doesn't even work on my desktop PC with latest version of Flash.

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Hulu is useless, doesn't even work on my desktop PC with latest version of Flash.
Then get a capable desktop. Works fine here.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then get a capable desktop. Works fine here.
Sorry I was being facetious, it is restricted to only Americans, so Hulu is useless to anyone outside the US

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Sorry I was being facetious, it is restricted to only Americans, so Hulu is useless to anyone outside the US
Wasn't paying attention to your location. Think of it this way... you got the BBC iPlayer without having to proxy, fake your location, et al. Win some, lose some.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Such as?
I knew it, there is no point going further.

(hint: look at the big picture and try to figure out what 5 steps are about)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

I expected to be better but i guess not ... it's just a blown up iphone w/ some "new" featrues like ibook app, custom background(wallpaper) etc ... it's still interesting but for the price ... it's not worth it ...you're better off buying a asus ul30vt

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
I want my mail only one times. Sorry!

Last edited by cder; 2010-01-28 at 05:41.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Milhouse has been around since OS2005 and is pretty much on the money here. The RSS app's only visible changes are making the toolbar finger friendly compared with the OS2005 version (AFAICT). Yes, lots of bugs have been fixed, but it's still a fairly painful experience (and loves to try and connect to the Internet if your always-on connection isn't; e.g. London Underground).

Yes, Maemo 5 is a step-change compared with OS2008; but the OS only goes so far. As I said back in April 2008, if Nokia's out-of-the-box apps don't raise the bar for developers, developers won't step up to the challenge.

Having a whizzy OS, a decent browser and an adequate music player doesn't make up for a shitty RSS reader, sub-optimal email client and crappy (but, yay, actually improving) development tools.

iPhone, iPod Touch, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs, iPad. Ah, so Apple are a step ahead? ;-)

Apple - as a company - is more focused on these products than Nokia are. They've invested more heavily and are reaping the rewards. Nokia's "take it slowly" approach hasn't been enough to overcome the "we're not as cool as Apple" barrier.
Yes, you don't seem to get the big picture too.

Rhetoric question: if you want to get your OS to whole different level, do you use your time to general os finger friendliness, developers GUI guidelines, easy cross-porting between "cheaper model's" OS'es (Qt) or focus to single applications?

Am I totally wrong because that's just what I've waited from step 4/5 : platform is really good but out of the box apps are lacking. Would fremantle be step 4/5 instead of step 4/4 if the out of the box experience could be compared to iPhone 3GS's successor?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet