Active Topics

Notices

First, this is incredible and I'd like to profusely thank pronvit for the great work. Browsing on the tablet at this speed is amazing; switching back to gecko makes me want to bang my head against the wall it's so slow. I'm definitely using this as my primary browser.

That said, in gconf the available settings appear to be
kscrollfading
scrollbars
fingerscrolling
kscrollstep
selectionmode
Is this the full list of available options? Specifically is there a key to change zoom mode to true zoom instead of font size?

Also, before I started monkeying with gconf, using kinetic scrolling was beautiful and perfect, but now it seems to not cache offscreen areas of the page (i.e. until scroll stops moving, all that appears in the newly exposed region is a finely tiled image of whatever used to be on the bottom of the screen). This behavior continues even after resetting all gconf keys. Any idea why this happens or how to fix it?

Thanks again pronvit for all your hard work -- this is by far one of the best enhancements I've come across for the NITs

EDIT: Hmm, this didn't work the first time, but a reboot after --recursive-unset appears to have fixed the problem, and now I am able to set scrollbars=0 and kscrollfading to 0.95, which are IMO ideal. This is awesome.

Last edited by semiquaver; 2009-01-08 at 23:43.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
Is this the full list of available options? Specifically is there a key to change zoom mode to true zoom instead of font size?
currently there's no option to change zoom mode. I just didn't think it may be useful. I will add it if it is useful for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to pronvit For This Useful Post:
I installed webkit-eal from the garage page a few days ago on my n800 running diablo, and although I can open local pages it crashes every time I try to access a webpage. What kind of debug info can I give to help?

The Following User Says Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post:
crazy question but how can I tell if the default browser is using webkit?

Ive followed the only obvious install instructions on post 133 but cant see anything alter.

Last edited by purg; 2009-01-09 at 10:26.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Switzerland
Just go to http://acid3.acidtests.org : if the score is around 94, your are using webkit !

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
also, when a page loads, the loading bare will show percentage, not number of elements downloaded.

oh, and if webkit crashes for some reason, browserd will reload the page in microb, and continue to use that until all browser windows are closed.

another way to see if your using webkit is the frame around tapped links. in webkit it will barely be visible, but in microb its a solid frame.

and i think by default the start page on a empty browser window is different in webkit also.

now, i would love for the selector app to use radio buttons and a ok button rather then the drop down list it uses right now. that or have the drop down list show the currently used engine when started.

Last edited by tso; 2009-01-09 at 11:02.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I installed webkit-eal from the garage page a few days ago on my n800 running diablo, and although I can open local pages it crashes every time I try to access a webpage. What kind of debug info can I give to help?
Did you already restart your tablet after webkit-eal installation? I had the same propblem after the first install until I did do a restart.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Whoa... this is impressive! Installed the deb, rebooted, and I'm flying where I used to crawl!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
luck indicated that the tearing issues could be that webkit is redrawing the page faster then the lcd can fully update.

maybe something to look at for a more smooth experience?

Having used this awesome webkit package for a while now I thought I would post what I have noticed. I am not posting all the amazing good things because they have already been pointed out.

First I would recommend radio buttons, or icons for the engine chooser as tso mentioned above. Second, I noticed that it does not respond to hardware buttons initially. I usually just minimise and then restore and then it will. Third, there are still issues with the thumb keyboard. When typing this post, a return closed the keyboard instead of sending me to the next line. There was one other thing that has slipped my mind. If i think of it i will post it here. Overall i am very impressed. If downloading worked i think it would eliminate my need to ever change the engine back to microb. Hope this is helpful and keep up the good work!

Tags
browser, webkit