Originally Posted by exo View Post
That's the same thing. The redistribution restrictions are part of the license, therefore the license is restrictive, just as the OSI quite clearly says. How are you not understanding that?
I did not say the GPL wasn't restrictive. I said that your use of GPL'd code is unrestricted. The GPL only comes into play when you redistribute the work licensed under the GPL, at which point you must accept the restriction or be bound by Copyright. That Copyright law comes into play does change things.

So i can't use it any way i like, i can ONLY use it any way i like internally, because the license restricts it in that way.
Along with copyright law, yes. Since you have no right to distribute it otherwise.

And see my above edit regarding the OSI referring to the GPLv2 as restrictive.
Such a harsh restriction, I know. How terrible. But that's also compared to the average EULA that goes above and beyond copyright in denying your ability to use something.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-03-03 at 02:14.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I see that we're heading into a discussion on the merits of the GPL (in all its various flavors).
I think the GPL is fine for its purpose, of course it is less free but it restricts use of that code to the GPL's terms rather than allowing that code to be used entirely freely. But of course im not saying that full freedom is necessarily better.

All im saying it is ignorant to say the GPL is not restrictive unless of course you have no understanding of the terms of the GPL. It quite clearly IS restrictive, though depending on your point of view that may or may not be a bad thing.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I did not say the GPL wasn't restrictive.
You said this:
"Restrictive" and "OSS" do not belong in the same sentence. Anyone who tells you they do, doesn't understand them.
Quite clearly the OSI defines the GPL as a restrictive license, so it is YOU who doesn't understand those terms.

I said that your use of GPL'd code is unrestricted.
Only if you have some warped definition of the term 'use', since distribution is a form of 'use' of that code.

The GPL only comes into play when you redistribute the work licensed under the GPL
i.e. if you *USE* it in an application that you distribute.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Hahaha, oh my god. On the ropes.

I must say that even though abill_uk is one of my UK brethren and I should at least try to defend him, he does seem like a gibbering, over opinionated but short on facts, foaming at the mouth nutcase.
Where do you get off you blithering fool, your just as bad as the brotherhood of nutcases on this forum !.

Trying to win brownie points with them are we ....sucker !!!.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by exo View Post
I think the GPL is fine for its purpose, of course it is less free but it restricts use of that code to the GPL's terms rather than allowing that code to be used entirely freely. But of course im not saying that full freedom is necessarily better.

All im saying it is ignorant to say the GPL is not restrictive unless of course you have no understanding of the terms of the GPL. It quite clearly IS restrictive, though depending on your point of view that may or may not be a bad thing.
Absolute freedom is an illusion. BSD are permissive to the coder, but tend to produce restrictions to the users and to fellow coders. The GPL only restricts that from happening.

We can illustrate it with laws that restrict indoor smoking. It restricts the smoker, but protects other users or that same indoor air. The smoker may complain about his freedom being restricted, but it is for the greater good.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
BSD are permissive to the coder, but tend to produce restrictions to the users and to fellow coders.
Not really...the "restrictions" in the various BSD licenses are pretty much just author acknowledgement. So really the only restriction is places on you is to prevent you from taking someone elses work and calling it your own.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
But let's be real honest. The only success Linux has had is on Android. The only reason for that success is Googles hard line on cutting off all the bloat. In the embedded world as well as the PC, Linux will work, but is seldom used for anything real. The reason being it is a simplistic bloatware.
Hmm...

Linux is successful in many areas from embedded system to super-computers. It's no question that Windows won the desktop market, though.

Also, the following picture would mean something to some people:

EDIT: Sorry! I just figured out the graph isn't titled. It is the OS adoption in supercomputers, by percentage...
Attached Images

Last edited by 9000; 2011-03-03 at 05:13.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Hmm...

Linux is sucessful in many areas from embedded system to super-computers. It's no question that Windows won the desktop market, though.

Also, the following pictures would mean something to some people:
What does the y axis of the graph represent?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
What does the y axis of the graph represent?
Percentage.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Long Island, New York
then why is it numbered? that would have the percentages somewhere around 4 to 500 % total its gotta represent something other than a percentage of the market

Lover of Music, Technology & Travel
If I'm not logged in, I'm probably jetsetting to a city near you...

Tags
bada rox, give me bada, meego rules, sir abill sir !, windowsce blows