Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Guys, guys, guys.

We're all spoiled by ease-of-access and immediacy these days. Sure, it's fun to say things should "just work", but for every situation where that's now actuality (and they are far from legion) there are untold hours (years/decades/centuries) of effort behind such an advent.

I said it before but maybe it bears repeating: there are too many new, novel aspects to the NITs and their ecosystem (a proprietary device INTENDED to run free software!!!) to make so many claims that the devices should be on par with Consumer Device X or Consumer Device Y just yet.

With the 770 and N800, Nokia rewound the clock, first back to, say, the Commodore 64 days and then forward from there to the PC XTs. Sure, that required savvier users than Windows XP does but if the largest cell phone manufacturer in the world didn't see merit in the approach then we wouldn't be facing the prospect of further development (and we are).

So feel free to second-guess and speculate and hell even bash the company outright it it brings catharsis... but slow and steady really has won a race or two. I'm frustrated at the rate of progress (God am I frustrated) as a user but as someone who also sits on the other side of the fence I'm also damn glad the company is moving methodically instead of treating the tablets as disposable MP3 players or such. I suddenly feel bipolar.

But... patience. Nothing's over yet.

I don't really care as long as Nokia keeps making newer ITs.
The way I see it, the ITs are strictly devices for Linux gurus and more of a way for Nokia to get a lot of "feedback" from those folks that they then take and roll up into more consumer-oriented devices.
And I'm OK with that in a way, but in another way I think they need to select a group of N770/N800 IT die-hard gurus around the planet and give them a FREE hardware upgrade to the next iteration of the tablet in exchange for exhaustive bug reporting and user experience data. In a way Nokia is already doing this with their "S60 Agent" program in NY, but even that program needs to go out world-wide as well. Word-of-mouth and "viral marketing" aside, just having bug reports and user experiences from REAL people will help them get more out of their current investments in these technologies.
Stop giving free stuff to the Finns and Brits already, they already get down on their knees for you.

Also, attack the U.S. market seriously or stay the phuck out.
Doing it using the half-assed methods you currently use here just make you look silly.
An Evening With S60 not only sounds lame, but it focus on only ONE section of Nokia's device map.
Drinks are on Nokia with free cab rides for locals and folks staying in hotels in the city sounds much better. Throw in a good band or two (I recommend Brother Love, I think he's local to NYC...good party band) and you'll help capture the disposable-income 18-30 year-old demographic.
They'll wake up in the morning with a bag full of schwag and a hangover going "man, that was some wild-*** party I went to last night" and they'll mention it to their friends, etc. Right now no one in America CARES about Nokia's products because they don't know Nokia even EXISTS.
You'll know you're starting to win folks over when they start pronouncing the word "Nokia" correctly and remember that they make cool phones and throw bad-@$$ launch parties.
For the love of all that is holy, hire a friggin' publicist Nokia.
Or do I need to fly over there and kick you in the jimmy?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Kick someone else. I'm with you.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
Originally Posted by iball View Post
Odd....I can adjust the volume and pause music on my N800 without having to look at it.
Can that be done on the iPhone/Touch?
I can even stop, start, pause, jump tracks, and answer phone calls on my N95 while it sits in my pocket all using my MotorolaS9 A2DP headset too.
Of course, neither the iPhone or the new Touch iPod can currently do that. Probably in a month or two there will be yet another new-and-improved-stereo-bluetooth-ipod-dongle for folks to dish out an additional $50+ for in order to even get the current functionality of either my N95 or N800. Granted, A2DP on the N800 requires some "hacking" but once setup it's easy to use and works well. I expect Nokia to HOPEFULLY get A2DP rolled into the next N800 firmware [this is your first and last hint on this from me, Nokia, get a damn clue already].
Btw, you can adjust volume, pause, and jump tracks on the iPhone without having to touch or unlock the screen.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Kick someone else. I'm with you.
I meant kick all of Nokia in the jimmy, but I'll settle for OPK.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by tabletfan View Post
Btw, you can adjust volume, pause, and jump tracks on the iPhone without having to touch or unlock the screen.
I'm curious, how? I have the iPhone here. I've only found adjusting volume, but not any way to pause or jump tracks.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I'm curious, how? I have the iPhone here. I've only found adjusting volume, but not any way to pause or jump tracks.
I believe from what I've read that there's some kind of button or nub on the headset that allows you to start/stop music, answer calls, and skip tracks. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebie View Post
I believe from what I've read that there's some kind of button or nub on the headset that allows you to start/stop music, answer calls, and skip tracks. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh yes, you're right.

The default white Apple ones are always so craptacular in their sound quality that I didn't even try them anymore.

Moving on, what do you guys think of this:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/...dar-297994.php

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Moving on, what do you guys think of this:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/...dar-297994.php
A somewhat pointless move on Apples part... it won't stop the majority of people buying Touches just because it lacks a decent calendar, and only a small number of buyers might be pushed towards the iPhone but they were probably considering the iPhone anwyay. I'd be surprised if the dumbed down calendar in the Touch is sufficient reason to convince someone to pay $100 more as well as sign up for a two year AT&T contract at between $50-$100/month. That's a lot of money to pay for a calendar...

They must be doing something right. It only took 74 days to sell one million units. Wonder how many ITT's have been sold?

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.