Closed Thread
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
some people here have an elitistic behavior.

chill out please

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
That sure sounds like a hackney way - calling a reference to a reference binary with a .desktop shortcut. Why on earth would you be doing that?
Well, I haven't figured out how to run a binary/shell script directly from system UI. Keep in mind I'm still horribly newbish when it comes to most things, and barring what slow progress I've made across the board in Python, being able to just barely read C, and CLI competence, I still don't really know what I'm doing that much. The systemui menu buttons that I understand how to use all use DBus calls. Now, maybe there is a dbus call for running a binary/shell script in the background - but I am unaware of such dbus calls. If it exist, please do tell me about it, as that would make everything insanely easier. (The closest I know of is the com.nokia.xterm.run_command or whatever it is, which is what you use if you want, say, top in xterm launched - but then you have an X-Terminal pop up.)

The other approach is mentioned here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55734 The com.nokia.HildonDesktop.AppMgr.LaunchApplication one. In the example it's used to launch Panucci or whatever - I've tested it with a couple of programs, and they work - but this approach uses the .desktop files. This is what I defaulted to since I didn't know a way to run the shell commands directly from the systemui menu.

So anyway, yeah - I know how to make the button, how to use the same image files the status-menu applet already uses for lock/unlock orientation, and, with an extra script that would run at startup (NOT my specialty, but I know conceptually how it would work), how to make the changes persist through reboots (the button's state as either Lock or Unlock WOULD persist either way, you just want to make sure it either checks upon boot what values the gconf entries are set to, or just sets the values to whatever the power key menu applet set them to last itself.).

I just don't know the execute-shell-script-from-inside-systemui bit.

Originally Posted by jstokes View Post
From SystemUI? That doesn't sound correct. The D-Bus way to launch a service given its name is the StartServiceByName method. Obviously, this being an upstream method, this is free from the X-Osso-Service Nokia stuff; hell, that method only looks at the *.service files, not the desktop files. Unless SystemUI uses Hildon Desktop's LaunchApplication method - which I'm sure it doesn't (actually I'm certain it doesn't - my N800 can also launch services through SystemUI and the Hildon Desktop on the N800 doesn't support the LaunchApplication method) - then it shouldn't look at desktop files

EDIT: Although I don't have an N900 anymore, I did have success running applications without having a terminal window showing
Actually, as you can see in the part of this post above your quote, near as I can tell, that's EXACTLY what it uses. At least, that's the only way I know how to launch applications without terminal showing. Through a DBus call to Hildon Desktop's LaunchApplication method. As for the more upstream method, maybe it works, but I'm not DBus savvy enough to figure out the above.

Here's the other point - if I run it that way, through the Hildon Desktop LaunchApplication method - then afaik it has to have a .desktop file. It can't be a desktop file with NoDisplay=true, or else it just doesn't seem to notice it.... So you can't hide the .desktop file, which means even if it doesn't show the terminal, you still have application menu entries sitting in plain site. And then the next pita - just because you ran applications without a terminal doesn't mean the same method applies to running a script in the background - at least if you're specifying a shellscript for execution from within the .desktop file (vs. writing all the lines to run inside the Exec= line, which I haven't had time to do). When you run an application, you expect and want a window to open, terminal or not, in which a shell script runs. Using the .desktop hackish method above, a blank black window still opens, sits there with the loading animation running, and then closes when the script finally gets loaded up, executes, and finishes. Now, if you leave the window and go back to the task switcher, it vanishes and is no longer visible - but you're still far from the original intent of the script completely silently and unobtrusively running in the background.

I WILL be fiddling with this more as time goes on, as hawaii's statement made me look at systemui entries some more, and I'm gonna try something else that I should've noticed a while ago soon, but I'm not too hopeful. If I have the right combination of time, motivation, and ability, I might be able to figure out the dbus reference you linked to on my own as well, and if I do I'll try that.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-03-25 at 07:14. Reason: Forgot to paste in first half of post

Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
A question.
How does the built in mediaplayer works with force rotaion?
I know first window (with the four buttons) only rotates and you can see just Music and Videos.
But for example playlists, does these work properly?

Greetings, I installed CSSU a while back and it was quite fancy. I screwed up my filesystem a bit a little while back though, so I formatted my device and started again from stratch.
I then wanted to install the CSSU again, all went fine till I ran the enabler. It said I didn't have enough batterypower so it wouldn't install. I didn't have my charger with me so I decided I'd try it again in the evening.
When I got home and tried again, the program icon couldn't be found anymore in the menu. I removed and reinstalled the enabler, but the icon wouldn't show up anymore.
I then found out all it did was run "install-community-ssu". So I did that manually from the console, but now it says "Community SSU already enabled".. only, it's not.

Any advice what I should do?

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
If you've only just reflashed it, the quickest and easiest thing to do is reflash it again, otherwise you could spend hours/days debugging the problem.

bah heh .. but I already reinstalled all the ~260 packages .. including the INCREDIBLY slow ones via the ovi store/HAM (stupid program btw ..)

If there isn't a solution for this after the weekend I'll prolly do that. but would be a waste of my time

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by StingerID4 View Post
Greetings, I installed CSSU a while back and it was quite fancy. I screwed up my filesystem a bit a little while back though, so I formatted my device and started again from stratch.
I then wanted to install the CSSU again, all went fine till I ran the enabler. It said I didn't have enough batterypower so it wouldn't install. I didn't have my charger with me so I decided I'd try it again in the evening.
When I got home and tried again, the program icon couldn't be found anymore in the menu. I removed and reinstalled the enabler, but the icon wouldn't show up anymore.
I then found out all it did was run "install-community-ssu". So I did that manually from the console, but now it says "Community SSU already enabled".. only, it's not.

Any advice what I should do?
Just update with HAM, it should be there.

Anyway, the check is done by looking for var/lib/dpkg/info/mp-fremantle-community-pr.list, moving or deleting that should make the enabler work again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Ah thank you! Got it working now, keep up the good work!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think I found yet another new bug, again from Applications list. If you install an application from any repository and then launch the Applications list in portrait you'll get the forced rotation instead of the optimized one.

Can anyone confirm this? That's how I think I got it to appear. If yes then I'll submit it to Bugzilla.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I went and made the bug-report.
#12092 - Applications list rotates to portrait with forced rotation after installing an application

I've also noticed, that some of the dialogs are not rotated to portrait in HAM, even though the device itself is in portrait. I'll try to keep track of it and post another bug-report, if necessary. I do have an enhancement request in my mind but I'm not ready to post it in the bugs yet (that being the "Add more height to the Catalogs in HAM").

Last edited by rantom; 2011-03-26 at 11:40. Reason: More info.

Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade