Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please ask questions to be posted or updated at http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect and I will do my best answering them. Hopefully this will save some of the confusion and repeated arguments seen in this thread.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
So nobody wants to ask questions?

What will be the difference between official MeeGo and community MeeGo?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Will Flash 10.1 land on Maemo 5?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Will MeeGo on the n900 have flash 10.1?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Is it possible that an official, unique name can be given to a hybrid Maemo/MeeGo OS to distinguish it from pure instances of either?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Yeah give it a name It will avoid confusions in the near future.

How about MeeMo?

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Please ask questions to be posted or updated at http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect and I will do my best answering them. Hopefully this will save some of the confusion and repeated arguments seen in this thread.
Can we first address nomenclature and at least try to be more clear what we are running when we speak of MeeGO?

Are we referring to the platform MeeGo(non-release specific), including core, hw adaption, UX and 3rd party software.

Or are we referring to Harmattan / MeeGo 1.0 that's just MeeGo compatible only

Or are we referring to the Post Harmattan release of Maemo 6 + Moblin 2.x instance which is the first real bonafide version of MeeGo.

Can we also say that when we refer to anything that runs any version of MeeGo we mean the full stack, otherwise we specify that it runs the MeeGo 1.0 Core or the MeeGo 2.x UX and etc.

As for the questions:

Is there a codename for the Maemo 6 + Moblin 2.x version of MeeGo?

What is the expected support duration for Maemo 5. 1 more month? 6 more months, 2 more years?

How many more dot releases can we expect for Maemo, and in what interval?

Can we expect bugs being pushed out to Harmattan to be brought back into Fremantle?

Why are many of the bugs in Maemo 5 deferred to be fixed in Harmattan and not addressed in Fremantle?

Will OVI Maps 3.x be available for Maemo 5 natively or via some version of QT that is supported in Fremantle

And of course the favorite, when will Nokia make good on its promise to release Flash 10.1 HW accelerated on Maemo 5

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
If the delays in 1.2 are any indication, Nokia has deprecated the N900 and Maemo 5 and put it on the back burner of support. I can go on all day about how hard it is to make these releases but I would bet you good money if people hadn't left for MeeGo the delay would surely not have been a long.
I scratch my head about this one, because the wait really wasn't that long.

Time between initial release and 1.1 - 2 months
Time between 1.1 and 1.1.1 - 1 month
Time between 1.1.1 and 1.2 - 3 months

The "delays" in 1.2 (if there were really delays or if it took that long to write or test everything. People talk like there was a release date to hit that everyone knew about) doesn't say anything either way about Nokia's support of Maemo.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
What will be the difference between official MeeGo and community MeeGo?
"official MeeGo" = the release of an open source platform by the MeeGo project at meego.com. A community effort, including (soon) the tools to make all kinds of customizations.

If you mean "What will be the difference between the MeeGo-Harmattan release from Nokia and the MeeGo-Harmattanm release from the community", the answer is: nobody knows today. At this point nobody knows what will and will not work. Technical discussion, R&D experimentation and official MeeGo-Harmattan releases need to come first in order to tell.

The main points to watch are: hardware adaptation for the N900, impact of hardware differences between the N900 and the new target device from Nokia, software performance, possibility to redistribute Nokia binaries and possibility to redistribute 3rd party binaries (being each 3rd party a different story). Probably another piece to look at is the security framework and what can or can't be done with devices that didn't have it originally installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser