Active Topics

I basically agree with you I think - I don't see highly modular phones as 'the next big thing', or even the thing after that. I just don't think it's presently practicable, and it clearly conflicts with other priorities, like size and weight or environmental sealing.

I'm just pointing out that "desktops are the right size for modularity, smaller things aren't" is more or less totally arbitrary. That's a contingent stage of development we've grown up in, not something based on underlying principles.

In the next few decades tech is going to have to become more ecologically sound (and probably more economical too - to reach the untapped markets). There are several ways of doing that, such as making things fully recyclable. But I think some degree of modularity, like being able to replace processor / RAM / GPU, will probably be part of the solution for phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Ok... I will have to research that, later, but:

My current Fujitsu lifebook has tray which can be used for "additional battery" or CD/DVD drive (read-and-write). Or left empty, with plastic anti-dust cover, if you want to make it light-not-heavy.

And I think (not sure) that newer "extensions", such as Blu-ray, would fit same tray, too.

Though, I am not sure how standard-compatible they are, but they seem to be of the same shape, and with SATA interface.

And, there are Hard-drive-holders, which allow a hard drive to be plugged into this tray, and avoid the hassle of external-clumsy USB thingies.

And if anybody can recommend me a compatible floppy-disk-drive... That would be amazing.

If anybody has the knowledge to explain why the tray does not work like "The-Other-Half" for Lifebook, he-or-she (or it, if an AI robot happens to read it ;-) ) is welcome. Or I will be greatly tempted to clean up dust from the Lifebook, and then equip it with the tray-thingies.

[One problem is: how do I debug the tray-thingies? Because currently, CD/DVD drive does not work, and I haven't ever tested the battery.]

Thank you. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Back to Jolla 2 (or should that be 3 if the tablet is 2?); Antti Saarnio hints at another device to follow the tablet in his posting for The Official Jolla Blog:
(From https://blog.jolla.com/from-2014-to-2015/ )
Jolla’s focus areas in 2015

This year Jolla will continue to improve the Sailfish OS multitasking user experience, establish a Sailfish OS developer program to support native app development, bring new devices to the market with world-class hardware, and establish major partnerships within the industry.

The Sailfish OS is still young, and needs more stability, better connectivity, and simplification to the user experience. The small Sailfish OS native app ecosystem needs its own program, which guides and supports app developers. The amount of applications is not important, rather the most important applications for people need to be native, and of high quality. Friends, Tweetian, Sailgrande, just to mention a few, are excellent proof points of the potential of native Sailfish OS applications. The stability and usability of Android applications in Sailfish OS is already on a good level, and we continue to improve this.

Our first tablet product will come to the market during Q2/2015, with an excellent Intel chipset, great screen, and new versions of the Sailfish UI. The multitasking experience of the Jolla tablet will be the best in the market. That’s a promise. And, of course, we would not be a device and software company if we did not have new devices on our roadmap. Stay tuned for news about this.
So would that be a Q4 release?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
jolla tablet is not jolla 2. Is a sorry excuse of tech to get some money for jolla 2. Bought it just to support jolla so they could come up with a real beauty and great spec, spectacular OS for jolla 2.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Jolla tablet is not a complete waste of tech IMHO. Many people use tablets and this is a linux tablet that is actually getting made unlike Vivaldi. That said many of us did indeed buy it to help Jolla get to the point to make a 2nd phone. I really would love it if they made a phone this year especially if it had a modem that was more universal.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
I think if Jolla can't get any hardware device partners by the end of 2015, it may be game over. Come on Oppo, put your money where your mouth is - with Android app support, a decently priced Sailfish OS phone could really make waves in China (and Europe please).

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
jolla tablet is not jolla 2. Is a sorry excuse of tech to get some money for jolla 2.
Actually, the Jolla tablet is Jolla 1. I have no clue just what is this mystical "Jolla phone" device you folks keep talking about. Nobody on my entire hemisphere of this planet had been offered the chance to purchase a piece of Jolla hardware before this tablet appeared...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Actually, the Jolla tablet is Jolla 1. I have no clue just what is this mystical "Jolla phone" device you folks keep talking about. Nobody on my entire hemisphere of this planet had been offered the chance to purchase a piece of Jolla hardware before this tablet appeared...
Maybe you know jolla phone by its street name jPhone?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Maybe you know jolla phone by its street name jPhone?
NO nicks as or streetname made up by DAVE666, its a jolla smartphone or jolla tablet, these names are more common and well accepted names !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aQUICK1 View Post
NO nicks as or streetname made up by DAVE666, its a jolla smartphone or jolla tablet, these names are more common and well accepted names !
Yes, or Jolla 2. Do you think jolla will name the next one Jolla 2¿

Tags
jolla, jolla 2