Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Ok, another question, my xp machine connects fine when on the same network but wont connect outside of that, any ideas what I have to do to get it to connect from anywhere?
same problem!!!
they adviced me to port-forward the por 3389 (wich rdesktop use)
try to do this!!!

it didn't work for me...but it might be my router (alice gate 2 plus...sh*t )

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I already had to open that port in the router for it to work as it is. Do I need to use a different IP address when Im away from the home network?

I already had to open that port in the router for it to work as it is. Do I need to use a different IP address when Im away from the home network?
Yes. You have an IP address that your ISP gives you. When you RDP in you need to use that IP address. From there you need to tell your router which computer to forward the request on to. Most likely you will be coming in on port 3389. SO you need to tell your router, "hey router, when somebody makes a request for info on 3389 send it to this comp, 192.168.xxx.xxx." Thats when you will get asked for the password that you set up. You need to do this in teh port forwarding section of your router.

I have two different Profiles for rdp. One for home and one for not at home. I forget hgow I have it set up but if I use a different user name I can get it to go to 1 of my 2 comps on my home network from outside.

HTH.

Good luck!

Last edited by Cruelkix; 2009-08-11 at 01:43.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I already have port3389 forwarded for that computer, and the IP that is entered is 192.168.xxx.xxx but that wont work outside my home network. If the address I have entered that works when I am at home isnt the one my isp gives me, what else would I use?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Okay. I think I'm lost.

Thought I would post and beg for some help.

I'm using
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

I've followed all of these steps with success I believe.
Remote Desktop

On my tablet, I'm just getting a connection refused error.

I finally got around to getting VNC viewer working perfectly but I thought I would try this one out as well.

Any advice from you guys?

Thanks!

Edit:
Forgot to mention that the only thing I have installed is pyrdesktop from the application menu and I'm using the most currrent version of Diablo.

Last edited by Addison; 2009-08-31 at 03:00.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
I already have port3389 forwarded for that computer, and the IP that is entered is 192.168.xxx.xxx but that wont work outside my home network. If the address I have entered that works when I am at home isnt the one my isp gives me, what else would I use?
The whole point of port-forwarding is to tell your router that when a request comes from the outside world to your external ip address, looking to access a certain port, it points that request to a certain machine on your network (ie 192.168.x.x)

Visit http://whatismyipaddress.com from your browser. That is your external ip address.

Then, you can goto http://DynDNS.com and set up a url that forwards to your ip address. There is software that you can download from them, something like "dyndns updater" and it will change where your new url forwards to every time your ip address changes.

SO,

if your connecting to, say your.ip.add.ress:3389 right now, you can assign yourdomain.whatever.com (which is free to set up) to point to your.ip.add.ress.

The result is that you can connect to yourdomain.whatever.com:3389 and it will always point to your port on your machine, even if your ip address changes.

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-08-31 at 02:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Okay. I think I'm lost.

Thought I would post and beg for some help.

I'm using
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

I've followed all of these steps with success I believe.
Remote Desktop

On my tablet, I'm just getting a connection refused error.

I finally got around to getting VNC viewer working perfectly but I thought I would try this one out as well.

Any advice from you guys?

Thanks!

Edit:
Forgot to mention that the only thing I have installed is pyrdesktop from the application menu and I'm using the most currrent version of Diablo.
Do you have another windows computer (or any other OS that supports RDP I guess) on your network that you can use to try and RDP into the computer? This would allow you to find out if it is a setup issue with the host computer or if it is a connection issue with the Nokia.

It honestly sounds like a host issue with the Windows computer since you get a connection refused error. If the error was something like connection timed out, that would be something else. But it sounds like you are getting communication between the host computer and the Nokia, but it is refusing the connection.

You are entering your Windows user ID credentials and password into the PyRDesktop connection manager, correct? Are you typing in the host computer's name or IP address? Or have you tried it both ways?

The Following User Says Thank You to sic0048 For This Useful Post:
I only have one home computer with one Operating System of Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

It does have the Remote Desktop Connection application on it so I'm not quite sure what little step I'm missing here.

I supposed I could possibly hack my wife's laptop that's running Vista but I would have to hide all of the kitchen knives first.

So here's my setup:

Paige is the name of my computer and my password and host address should be correct.

I did install Pyrdesktop on my old Tablet, would that make a difference? I never edited any settings in the Home Network on my router except for my PC so I don't see why that should matter.

Also, am I supposed to install any Python apps for this to work correctly? All I chose was Pyrdesktop from the application manager.

Anyway, post some suggestions to keep me going on this.

Thanks!

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Hi,

Don't use the computer name (paige) but the user name.

hih

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that they're both the same.

Tags
diablo, gui, rdesktop