Notices

Optified? They all look scary big...

mmm doesn't look like

The version found on the ftp link provided by qole (The Luggage) does have a buggy gui, but RTSP support is broken.
I have reverted back to the version on Qole's repository (Yellow Bastard) and TVCatchup streams are working again

The Following User Says Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] View Post
RTSP support is broken.
That explains it! Thanks!

Any news of when they will officially package it properly and optify it? Can you manually optify it at this stage? I am dying for this app since I first got my N900 3 months ago..

Thanks

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qole View Post
There is also a download page on the videolan FTP server:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/maemo/vlc/
You can also use it as a source for the N900's package manager.
It's a version with GUI and plays a h264 720p rip from youtube just fine.

Last edited by weißelstone; 2010-06-24 at 10:54.

Wow.. after adding that repo in (its actually http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/maemo/) managed to grab it.

The GUI works, but only launchable from Xterm using vlc command (the icon clears the screen and doesnt do much). Noticed too that its Optified (player and libraries) and didnt use any of my precious root.

Not bad for an alpha. But seems to struggle with larger files. Does seem to play the formats and it does utilise some hardware acceleration via the DSP and Video processors.

Comparing it to MPlayer, its way more smoother and less need to overclock the CPU to get the performance.

Cant wait for the further progress.. if they can fix and optimise it more, then its a killer product for sure!

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Rochdale UK
been using vlc for sometime (non gui version) with tvcatchup as helped by darkgunman from here and around other web forums ! (he gets around....slut) and all has been working well for me.

I've used it mainly for tvcatchup.com streams for watching TV @ work or around and about.

Hope the devel process continues pretty solid piece of kit from the VLC players ive used before.

Please follow me on Twitter

www.twitter.com/marcdixon

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Relax, people. Both versions of VLC are optified.

if i try to add it to repositories i cant find it, what should i add to components\distribution?

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard