Originally Posted by qole View Post
MisterSorin: Yes, there are alternatives. Get an Internet connection and download from the repositories!

If you insist on downloading the packages from another computer and installing via dpkg -i, you will also have to install the bzip2 and wget packages to your N900 as well.
thanks, I will try

When I try to install bzip2 and wget it says unable to install bzip2 incompatible application package, any other ideas ?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
MisterSorin: please use the command line for installing .deb files ("sudo gainroot" then "dpkg -i bzip2_1.0.5-3+0m5_armel.deb"), and report the errors you receive.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
MisterSorin: please use the command line for installing .deb files ("sudo gainroot" then "dpkg -i bzip2_1.0.5-3+0m5_armel.deb"), and report the errors you receive.
after I type dpkg -i bzip2_1.0.5-3+0m5_armel.deb it says cannot access archive: no such file or directory errors were encounterd while processing bzip2_1.0.5-3+0m5_armel.deb it says the same to the wget file.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
MisterSorin:

Please make sure you are in the same place where you downloaded the files. You probably need to type the following after "sudo gainroot" and before "dpkg -i":

cd /home/user/MyDocs

EDIT: This really isn't the thread to walk someone through installing packages with dpkg. These threads get long and hairy enough as it is...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
MisterSorin:

Please make sure you are in the same place where you downloaded the files. You probably need to type the following after "sudo gainroot" and before "dpkg -i":

cd /home/user/MyDocs

EDIT: This really isn't the thread to walk someone through installing packages with dpkg. These threads get long and hairy enough as it is...
Sorry for this, I have knowledge in windows and ms-dos, in linux I am a complete noob....

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by MisterSorin View Post
I thing it is sudo gainroot not getroot, after I type apt-get install bzip2 wget it says package bzip2 not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or E: package bzip 2 has no installation candidate. What does this mean ? is my n900 broken or what ?
sorry about, didnt read it one more time before i presse post

I tried to cd /home/user/MyDocs but it says cd: can't cd to /home/user/mydocs. Then I tried cd /bin and dpkg -i bzip2_1.0.5-3+0m5_armel.deb and it says dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg.available' near line 160 package 'dosbox': EOF during value of field 'maemo-icon-26' (missing final wline)

Ok, I have done it, I only needed a reflash. Thanks for your help

hey Qole thanks for this great app. I have a few questions it says on the wiki that you can change the memory in the control panel / memory but I can't seem to find it. I can't find the set HW keys either on the n900. How do you minimize a program? I have searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

The keyboard works fine in the terminal. Has the sound been fixed? Does it work out of the box?

Last edited by andyph666; 2010-01-21 at 04:43.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze