Active Topics

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
I loved the Amiga, I loved the Dreamcast, and because of the N95 and now the N900, I love Nokia.
You have just described me.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
I disagree, Commodore never had the market share in the computer market that Nokia have in the cellphone market, it would probably be closer to compare them to IBM, who were once a big player in the personal computer market and let it slip away from them.
Not with the Amiga (btw, I owned an A500, A2000 and A4000), but with the C64 they had a market share of 33% in 1983. Not such a massive market domination like what Nokia had, but not bad either.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
In short, no. Can't honestly say that I have--but then I have yet to see anybody holding one in the flesh, nor do I personally know anybody that has one. I tend to be the one that buys all the gadgets first.

Most of the people around me tend to wait and see what I buy before they go out and buy similarly. After I got my N800, a BUNCH of friends, family and other associates and customers ended up following my lead and we revolved around it together. After all the bitter experiences with Nokia support and the general lack of development at Nokia, I ended up buying Android and, as before, everyone seemed to follow me. So far, our experiences have been far more positive with the various Android devices on various carriers. I think it's an up-hill battle for Nokia to make it back into this circle of associations after our experiences with Nokia's faceless, corporate and insulting customer support--even in its heyday. It hasn't made the N900 attractive proposition, so it's far less likely that I'll ever see one in person.
Yeah, I can relate to that. I will admit to being an out and out Nokia fanboy. But after my 18 months experience with the dreadful N97, and experiencing first hand how the excellent S60v3 morphed into the shambolic S60v5.....I didn't know where I would go after. But....the N900 has been everything so far, that I thought the N97 would be.

Ask me what I would get after the N900 though and I won't be able to answer that, heh.

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
Interesting to see the comparison with amiga pop up, I was thinking the same thing the other day.

I used to frequent the amiga.org boards, on there daily hoping for some good news about new hardware, new software, and all the while the gap between what was going on in the amiga world and the pc world got larger, and gradually having to resign myself to the fact that i would end up having to migrate to windows and use that on a daily basis...

And now here I am, hoping that something comes along to save me from having to migrate over to android or whatever...

Originally Posted by kevloral View Post
You have just described me.

Not with the Amiga (btw, I owned an A500, A2000 and A4000), but with the C64 they had a market share of 33% in 1983. Not such a massive market domination like what Nokia had, but not bad either.
I think there is a definite parallel between what happened to Commodore and what is unfolding with Nokia at this moment.

Also, what happened with Sega and it's Dreamcast seems to be a very similar situation as well. I so wanted the DC to top the PS2 but as usual, any company that I'm behind seem to make dreadful mistakes ending in fail.

I predict that in ten years time we will be watching documentaries or reading books about "The Rise And Fall Of Nokia" like the book "The Commodore Story" lol.

looks like nokia are in panic mode, and making silly choices

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to airjaff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Also, what happened with Sega and it's Dreamcast seems to be a very similar situation as well. I so wanted the DC to top the PS2 but as usual, any company that I'm behind seem to make dreadful mistakes ending in fail.
Then you must be thrilled with the Microsoft thing... They made apple irrelevant in the 90's, and now the 360 is out "gamming" the PS3. They may be evil but never under estimate the power of the Darkside!

The Following User Says Thank You to lorul2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Does this mean Nokia still haven't done their Meego UX yet? No wonder they never managed to get the N9 released last year.
They are rewriting it from scratch in qtquick instead of C++

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/01/31/well-be-right-back/

(This is the only possitive atm.... and may be the only thing that make the rumors about WP7 could be false

But also this shows Symbian dished yet(alot af commits lattely) is also rumors soo still we dont know.

http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-component...commits/master

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-10 at 19:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
They are rewriting it from scratch in qtquick instead of C++

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/01/31/well-be-right-back/
Really? Where do they say anything about a rewrite...?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
Really? Where do they say anything about a rewrite...?
libmeegotouch is written in C++ now they rewritte most UI in qtquick. Also the meegodev SDK says they may not support libmeegotouch in the future...

Using QtQuick also make it more customizable for different screensizes etc... AFAIK.

so the rewrite isnt that "bad" at it may sound

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-10 at 22:09.

Atm. I expect the future N9-01 or whatever the device scheduled for 2011 is, will be much like the Panasonic DMC-FZ60. Never again mentioned by official channels.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
I foresee a surprise from Nokia within a week. I just do not see it as a positive event.
Well, consider me surprised. And correct.
The most surprising part for me was that Nokia today totally pissed on Qt. Even specifically said that we're not bringing Qt to WP7 - our new primary smartphone OS. They've been setting up Qt as the core strategy of pretty much all their platforms, and that's the unifying glue that even makes it sane to have the MeeGo platform. If they drop Qt like this, MeeGo will have no strategic value for their primary OS any more. So MeeGo is pretty much pointless too, now.

Even if that was where Nokia were heading this time, what on earth did they have to gain by announcing that Qt is not part of their planning?

No, this all reeks of Microsoft. All gain goes to Microsoft.

Last edited by volt; 2011-02-11 at 15:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Have we found out yet if the N9 can make phone calls? Goddammit.

Tags
cia debunked, its true, n9 is a myth, no kia, scifi, top secret