Active Topics

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US

Originally Posted by ukbill69 View Post
Thing is I would love to use this phone to the max, but cant as I can see this going dead within a few hours, surly this is not right, to bring a phone out that doesnt last a full business day 9-5 with full use.
After first 3-4 days it have lasted one day always for this 4 weeks i have owned the device. Be careful what you download especially from extra-dev(it's not meant for you if you are not a developer).

I can say you that Palm Pre, HTC HD2(with 1200mAh) and iphone wont last much longer and in HD2 case even less. I don't know exactly why manufacturres are currently so cheap with the OMAP3 and snapdragon phones with the battery capacities, but at least some Android phones seem to be getting better there.

If you have your doubts sell it. I bought this phone because what it could do then, not what it could do in the future

It's likely something you installed. I had great battery life (a day with moderate to heavy usage) until I installed certain apps and now it won't even last a day.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Thread merged.

Personally, I'm going with a new Firmware + Ovi Store dual launch....

Seems like it is more than possible this could be the case?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by aniMAL_ View Post
Personally, I'm going with a new Firmware + Ovi Store dual launch....

Seems like it is more than possible this could be the case?
That is my guess too. I also suspect the firmware is paused till the completion of the move of the maemo.org system to a new server. Maemo-extras is enabled by default in the new firmware (or so they tell me) so I don't think they'll release that till the servers can handle the extra load.

I believe some parts of the system are already transfered, the rest expected early next week.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by pn51 View Post
From my point of view the fact that I can't use my N900 to make or receive phone calls (3 SIM Issue) is a huge Bug!
It's not great that you have to pay more, but you can get a cheap pay-as-you-go SIM for another network while you wait. That's what I've done - and put the 3 SIM in another spare handset so I still receive calls and text to my "official" number.

Some PAYG SIMs offer "X minutes for a month" call bundles similar to contracts, that work out to a similar cost.

It's unfortunate that you have to pay twice as much in the meantime, and you might not have a spare handset to receive incoming on your main number... it's not a good solution, just a workaround.

Who wants to bet? Will I get my device first? Or will the new firmware gets released first?

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
[3 SIM issue] Now that's a valid reason for people to complain about the delay. Frankly, those people waiting to use their sim cards are the only ones who have any right to make a fuss. IMNSHO.

The rest of us have working devices which will do everything we bought them for. The rest of the upgrade will be all well and good. But the people on 3 have a right to mutter.
IMNSHO the people suffering from spontaneous reboots every few hours or less have an even stronger reason to complain... It is said to be fixed in the new firmware, at least for most units.

Those people are already returning their units as defective...

They ought to be getting that kernel fix ASAP as an expedited single-package update - with no other changes. That's what a super-conservative Linux distro would do - in fact even Microsoft would likely roll out a kernel update asap for something like that.

Nokia, please improve your rollout processes! Learn from the stable Linux distros how to do it right...

(Can't say I envy the people who had to find the bug! Looks like an OMAP3 hardware issue, but amazingly they found a workaround).

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Contacts and numbers are so small to view on N900, how or can I make that larger and readable?

The Following User Says Thank You to kamishly For This Useful Post:

Tags
fictional update, limpware