<singing>It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas... </singing>

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by anderbr View Post
fanoush - I was specifically referring to this in the post -

'To get started users click on the EarthLink Wi-Fi logo in the connections menu '

I'm up to date but don't have an earthlink logo in my connections menu. So....
This Earthlink cr@p had better not be *in* the new firmware - it's entirely US centric and a waste of space for everyone else on the planet!

An optional install is fine of course and it's nice to see Nokia establishing these agreements but since Earthlink is of no value outside of the US it has no place in firmware aimed at a global audience.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by TTgowings View Post
Um, so lets get this straight, this Earhlink app "had/has" been around since the last firmware update, but now just recently Earthlink or others are hyping it up again as a "new" app/update trying to get some shall anyone dare say put 'wings' on it this time ? with Maye a 2nd or possibliybly 3rd gen attempt thistime? But the big questiion would be will it run under a tethered sys, a 3G, WI-FI, or WIMAX ? Has anyone anyguess ??
LOL... sounds like the Rhapsody announcement (which I bit on) all over again.

But, no, that's not what I consider an update at this point.

Sorry again to be so "elusive", but I really can't come out and provide anything too concrete. However, suffice to say many concerns will be addressed in the next release, which is already late and should be released *soon*. Some aspects will be important to developers only. Some, however, will make everyone happy. But there will still be gaps, and hopefully they'll be addressed in a future N800 update. I don't expect that the tablet offerings will ever please 100% of the crowd 100%.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Why would a 3rd party company need to know about the update? It won't change anything for them.
It's still *possible* that even an incremental update might break legacy code. We've seen it happen already, so I'm surprised at the doubt. In fact, my VPN client won't work on the latest official release, but does on those before and unreleased versions after.

It's also possible that an update could enable features that were "hidden" before (a la FM radio) or introduce a meaningful upgrade to, say, codecs or file format support. :evil:

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-06-27 at 14:48.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
However, suffice to say many concerns will be addressed in the next release, which is already late and should be released *soon*.
Are you saying that we won't have it before the weekend?!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
Are you saying that we won't have it before the weekend?!
I'm not confirming or denying dates in any way. Were you here when I tortured everyone about the N800 release?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm not confirming or denying dates in any way. Were you here when I tortured everyone about the N800 release?
Yes I was, but I did not care so much about it since my 770 was 10 months old... My wife would kill me if she ever knew I was planning to change it

Yes I was, but I did not care so much about it since my 770 was 10 months old... My wife would kill me if she ever knew I was planning to change it
That sounds familiar.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
Greetings:

Ok, can we at least confirm that:

A) This week, by June 29, 2007, there will be a firmware upgrade for the
Nokia N800

B) There will be a Skype Version(with Video) in this new firmware.

C) RobMtl007, has excellent prediction abilities

Regards Robert
Well... I wouldn't bet my money on C) ... so how the A) and B) would be then???

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
My wife would kill me if she ever knew I was planning to change it
do what i did, sell the 770 on ebay, sell some more of your stuff that she doesn't like anyway and buy the n800... that's what i did

Originally Posted by ioan View Post
do what i did, sell the 770 on ebay, sell some more of your stuff that she doesn't like anyway and buy the n800... that's what i did
in fact that is what I did, but in the reversed order. I had to get a deal here on the buy&sell forum 'cause it was in the same days one of my colleagues was in the US. 770 was sold only afterwards...