Notices

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
You need to access the server with https://localhost:1978 after enabling SSL. I think it should print the address when you start the server. Client doesn't support SSL out of the box, I will try to add instructions to the wiki on how to enable this.
So I had to turn off port forwarding in order for me to get a login screen after entering https://localhost:1978. The problem now is that it won't accept the username/password combo that I set up SSL with. I even setup another username/password and it wouldn't take that either. Help!

How did you add the users? Can you access the server physically? If so, run "git pull" to update the server and do:

./scripts/user delete yourusername

for each of your users or update their passwords with:

./scripts/user add yourusername newpassword

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Ok, I did not manage to get the server working on Windows 7 but I got it working on my VMware Ubuntu 9.10 machine. (the instructions for Ubuntu was quite easy to follow)

Its works and plays my xvid video but with lots of artifacts and stuff.. is that a known problem for Maemo5?

Also my mp3 files does not play at all with a "server failed" error message.. you wrote in a past thread to try something else than FFmpeg.. How exactly do I do that ?

Thanks for all the work on this. Im already quite impressed..

EDIT: just tried a h264 file and it works flawless.. :-D

Last edited by claesbas; 2010-01-03 at 14:43.

Originally Posted by claesbas View Post
Ok, I did not manage to get the server working on Windows 7 but I got it working on my VMware Ubuntu 9.10 machine. (the instructions for Ubuntu was quite easy to follow)
I should really make an easier Windows installer now that this has become way more popular among Windows users.

Its works and plays my xvid video but with lots of artifacts and stuff.. is that a known problem for Maemo5?
Many things can cause this like lack of cpu power, bad ffmpeg etc, but you could try to disable aspect (check wiki) and see if that lowers the amount of artifacts. Does this happen with other source codecs than xvid too?

Also my mp3 files does not play at all with a "server failed" error message.. you wrote in a past thread to try something else than FFmpeg.. How exactly do I do that ?
This might be due to ffmpeg not having mp3lame support. Does Browser profile work in Browser? If so, then lame support should be there. Try streaming music with passthrough profile and see if that helps.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there is now a new client in -devel. It should allow you to use SSL + auth with the client for safe 3G streaming. Be sure to update your server too. Follow the instructions in the wiki.

But note this is for advanced users and I take no responsibility if you mess up your phone or share your content to the rest of the world. You have been warned!

Last edited by ukki; 2010-01-03 at 14:56.

Well the streaming part is quite easy once you get it going, but
"Easy media streaming for most operating systems - excruciating setup" seemed like a too long topic for this thread.
lol, yes. But I do agree that the client side looks easier than anything else I've tried.
Big fan of windows-style installers in windows, though.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
can knots stream to my ps3 xbox wii and other devices? or is it client server requirement?

Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
can knots stream to my ps3 xbox wii and other devices? or is it client server requirement?
Nope sorry, Knots doesn't use upnp. But I guess you can you use apps like tversity for that.

but I got it working on my VMware Ubuntu 9.10 machine.
Virtual Machines can't utilize the full (needed) potential except you really have a high end computer, so install a "real" ubuntu and try again or where did you run into problems when setting the server up on windows? We might be able to help you if you tell us what part of the instructions you didn't understand

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
How did you add the users? Can you access the server physically? If so, run "git pull" to update the server and do:

./scripts/user delete yourusername

for each of your users or update their passwords with:

./scripts/user add yourusername newpassword
This isn't working. I deleted the two users I had, added two more including one for username: user and password: pass, and nothing will let me in. How should I proceed?

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
This isn't working. I deleted the two users I had, added two more including one for username: user and password: pass, and nothing will let me in. How should I proceed?
stop the server
./scripts/user delete user
./scripts/user add username password admin
start the server

You should be able to login then. If not, delete all users, restart server, use the browser to go to settings -> users and add a user there. Click on the username that appears on the list, switch the role to admin, set its password (it's random by default) and then press change. Then fully reload the page to authenticate as that user.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:

Tags
knots, music, streaming, video