Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
This is probably my most valuable post.

Here's a link to an App called Stitcher for Android, iOS, BBOS, PalmOS, for listening to internet radio. In this case, it is tied to a thoroughly interesting radio show called Radio Lab. It focuses on science and psychology in a very compelling (and anecdotal) way. I encourage you to explore this show as its really, really, good.
http://landing.stitcher.com/?vurl=radiolab
http://radiolab.org

Here's a touching episode: http://www.radiolab.org/2010/feb/19/ (I encourage you to listen - most enjoyable with headphones)
Another notable episode: http://www.radiolab.org/2009/sep/07/ (this is a very different subject from the first)

The rest of the shows exploration is up to you.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-03-23 at 13:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Well, well, well. Opera Mobile 11 has been released!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/03/ope...ni-6-released/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKdp9JY57h8&feature=player_embedded

It's got such a slick interface, and certainly to have buttery smooth scrolling, but is it enough to compete with the built-in Honeycomb browser which also features these charms?

I really dig the interface styling with Opera. Then again, I really dig the page-tabs with the stock browser, and that 'off screen swipe' menu.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I do like the sound of:
Galaxy Tab M = 7"
Galaxy Tab L = 8.9"
Galaxy Tab XL = 10.1"
with of course the Galaxy S / S2 as the phone size. Perhaps even drop the Tab from the name.

I still hope to see a "syncronizer" app that would work using push technology, a list of information/files/settings to sync and a widget.

Tap the widget and presto, information goes flying through the ether from my phone to my tablet for a seamless user experience. Tap it on the tablet, and info goes back to the phone.

Web pages, where you left off in your book, game scores/levels, etc. Set up as much or as little as you'd like synced. Contacts and email are already synced, why not other information as well.

On a side note the Viewsonic 10" tab is on Woot today for an attractive price (good for a cheap entry into the tablet arena).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Not to be outdone, Mozilla also has a new browser for Android (and Maemo):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hm_7JOU6Jw

Win! The minimalist interface takes it to the next level. I'm very interested to see how they plan to tackle Honeycomb or other browsers...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Woweee.. perfect timing.. just when I get a really decent ROM going for my nook color... 2 great browsers to play with

So far I'm loving mozilla 4...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I do like the sound of:
Galaxy Tab M = 7"
Galaxy Tab L = 8.9"
Galaxy Tab XL = 10.1"
with of course the Galaxy S / S2 as the phone size. Perhaps even drop the Tab from the name.
Wow, that's a great idea, and fits with the current S branding. My only hesitation is that it may not differentiate the 'tablet' form-factor from the phone form-factor (eg. no hold-to-ear phone functionality) and could confuse consumers. But I think you're on to something.

I still hope to see a "syncronizer" app that would work using push technology, a list of information/files/settings to sync and a widget.

Tap the widget and presto, information goes flying through the ether from my phone to my tablet for a seamless user experience. Tap it on the tablet, and info goes back to the phone.

Web pages, where you left off in your book, game scores/levels, etc. Set up as much or as little as you'd like synced. Contacts and email are already synced, why not other information as well.
This is actually a fantastic idea. Thinking a little bit more broadly, if there was a way of assigning a type to the data, then this could be universal among apps, and provide mechanisms to do an automatic account sync. Moreover, it could further the ability for apps to exchange information. This is similar to a MIME-type classification for data -- perhaps MIME just needs to be extended in this instance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Woweee.. perfect timing.. just when I get a really decent ROM going for my nook color... 2 great browsers to play with

So far I'm loving mozilla 4...
How smooth is Firefox 4 on your Nook color?

I noticed that Opera 11 on my N810 (unbelievable, a CSS (closed source software) company supporting my open tablet more than a would-be OSS one), utilizes GPU acceleration -- or at least I think it does due to the strangeness of some rendering glitches I've noticed. It's impressively smooth (though still a ways away from buttery). I bet that Opera 11 would be extremely smooth on the Nook Color.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
How smooth is Firefox 4 on your Nook color?

I noticed that Opera 11 on my N810 (unbelievable, a CSS (closed source software) company supporting my open tablet more than a would-be OSS one), utilizes GPU acceleration -- or at least I think it does due to the strangeness of some rendering glitches I've noticed. It's impressively smooth (though still a ways away from buttery). I bet that Opera 11 would be extremely smooth on the Nook Color.
Opera seems to be lighter and faster, but I've only played with those two for just a couple of minutes.

As to graphic fluidity, afaik nookcolor custom roms don't have gfx acceleration at all. So, meh.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

On a side note the Viewsonic 10" tab is on Woot today for an attractive price (good for a cheap entry into the tablet arena).

Here's a related post:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/03/vie...or-today-only/

I'm actually extremely interested in the performance of Tegra 2 at this resolution (1024x600) and form factor -- a tablet is likely going to be running at full clock rates due to a larger battery unlike some phones. I will look for some benchmarks!

Anandtech comes through yet again!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4054/f...ance-preview/2

What this shows is that the graphical performance of the Tegra 2 just slightly better than last gen's best. This seems reasonable in that it came at the end of last gen, but is in no way comparable to this gen's best (eg. iPad2 A5).

This begs one question: Will Samsung put a Tegra 2 in the Galaxy Tab? It seems that they would fair much better if they included a Mali 400 with 4 cores to remain competitive on this front. Otherwise, the iPad will be the stronger gaming platform. As manufacturers are jumping over themselves to add Tegra 2 due to a lower time-to-market and lower costs (remember Honeycomb was coded for XOOM's tegra 2 and only just released), Samsung would be ahead of almost all of this years Android Tablets (assuming that the Mali400MP4 is as powerful as claimed).

The inclusion of a non-Tegra SoC isn't completely out of the question. In Feb 13 at the first unveiling of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung was quick to point out that the device was rocking a Tegra 2. However, yesterday they mentioned that it would house a '1GHz dual-core processor'. Also, if they were willing to match the iPad on form-factor, camera (downgraded from an 8mp), screen (PLS upgrade from IPS), then it seems that performance would also be a bullet worth considering.

I love this industry. It's like a running soap-opera!

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-03-23 at 15:06.

The Viewsonic g-tab's viewable screen angle is pretty dang horrible if you ask me:

I'd say the sweet spot when you hold it perpendicular to your eyes is only about (in landscape) 30' horizontal angle and less than 20' vertical.

If you're a righty (preferring the control buttons on your right thumb): If you put the tablet on lap, you'll have to lean forward to see the image with proper contrast. Leaning back to a natural sitting angle will darken the image (lefties will be treated to washed out image, which is the lesser of 2 evils).

oh, another thing that put me off: a dedicated power adapter port. afaik it cannot be charged through the usb/sync port. oh wait, it has what seems to be a proprietary jack on the side (wide, not unlike apple's)... i guess you'll have to buy the dock to charge?

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy