Poll: Do you want to buy one, and why? (Votes are public)
Poll Options
Do you want to buy one, and why? (Votes are public)

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I'm apparently the third one in the solar system to have an OLED screen on his Jolla. Feel marvelous too. :') Well maybe the fourth, depends if Kimmo has a numbered version.

Anyway, just want to stress that this prototype looks really great. I won't be ashamed at all to show my toholeded-phone to people not interested in smartphones or Jollas (those to which it would be difficult to explain). They likely won't notice it is handmade.

P.S.
Appreciated the sticker with quality control!

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-03-31 at 18:38.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Random serial numbers, i did partially assembly 9 PCB's, and then when finalised i forgot to take sequential numbers ...

QC = Quick Check

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
Random serial numbers, i did partially assembly 9 PCB's, and then when finalised i forgot to take sequential numbers ...

QC = Quick Check
Well, then I'm first. Well anyway it doesn't matter, I just meant I'm happy to get my hands on a prototype and try it.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-03-31 at 19:02.

Did you get it working? Did packing survive lightning-fast shipment? How it looks/feels? Do you like or hate it? Was it worth of the money? Have already improvement suggestions? Is the display still in correct place? Did it fit the phone? Tried to remove it? Did you like the flyer? Was there Finnish stamps? Hate the derp?

I need to know

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yes, Yes, Looks great/feels like a new device, I love it, No - it is woth more, Not yet - but will come, Yes, Yep, No! Qhy? hehe Yes very pleasent greeting, No stamps but a nascine print with Finnish Was there Finnish stamps? I love all and very much that its black

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Did you get it working?
I installed the rpm when toholed was on, and there was light. Then I tried the proximity sensors a bit, it switched the screen off two times on two attempts, perfect behaviour. But after the third attempt, the screen wouldn't light back. I realized unlocking the phone made the oled turn back on. Notifications work too, but when I lock the phone again, the oled screens turns off again.

I got five reboots since I installed the rpm about 4 hours ago, following symptoms like sluggish performance and then Jolla frozen in lock state.

When the phone reboots, the oled lights again, but will be turned off when the main screen is locked (either by power button, swipe down, or patience).

Basically it sounds like a problem with the proximity sensor because:
- oled lights when main screen lights, which I guess is normal behavior regardless of toholed proximity sensor state;
- when on, putting my finger on the proximity sensor doesn't change anything, which I guess is expected because the main screen is on when I can do this test.

I've checked that no dust was stuck on it, and I think it is clean. Any command I can run to test the sensor?

Restarting the service did not help, reinstalling did not either.

Did packing survive lightning-fast shipment?
Yes!

How it looks/feels?
Already said that above, it's awesome. As Nieldk just said, it feels like a new device. The tactile feeling of the plastic is also better than expected, and so is print quality.

Do you like or hate it?
Stupid question.

Was it worth of the money?
Stupid question too.

Have already improvement suggestions?
Not yet, but will definitely follow the thread for a while.

Is the display still in correct place?
Sure it is!

Did it fit the phone? Tried to remove it?
Yes, yes but just to confirm I need nails.

Did you like the flyer?
Very much, nice addition to the package.

Was there Finnish stamps?
Oh crap I don't remember. I don't think so, I would have noticed.

Hate the derp?
Love the derp.

P.S.
Kimmoli, please let me know if you want me not to discuss here, publicly, the issues I have encountered, and I'll edit my message. I didn't know if I should, but as you just asked if we got the toholed working, here I am!

P.P.S.
Oh and for those waiting for their toholed: please note that the issues encountered might very much be caused by a conflict with something else on my Jolla, not toholed by itself, as Nieldk seems to have no issues so far. And for a prototype, I'm really happy with it. It's meant to solve issues, but from what I've seen before the bugs happened, it was already quite useable/useful.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-03-31 at 23:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
On the contrary I don't get Kabouik issues - no reboots and no slow downs. However the proximity sensor doesn't wake up the oled every time as he said (though most times it works, sometimes with a bit of delay).

Did you get it working?
Yep, no problems there.

Did packing survive lightning-fast shipment?
Yes, seems no one sat on it

How it looks/feels?
Looks great, feels like plastic Could be a bit thinner or you could stash a wireless charger in there too

Do you like or hate it?
Like it!

Was it worth of the money?
Yup.

Have already improvement suggestions?
Yup.

Is the display still in correct place?
Yup. It looks kind of fragile to me, since I usually fetch the phone from my pocket with two fingers on both sides and they usually rest on that place when I pull it. Until now I mean

Did it fit the phone?
Like a glove.

Tried to remove it?
Immediately

Did you like the flyer?
Nice touch

Was there Finnish stamps?
Didn't notice one.

Hate the derp?
Not yet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
There's one minor question that's bothering me; Is it possible to get it in different colours?

I just love my PoppyRedFirstOne, and it is actually the only one I ever use, orange is just so beautiful on black.... and besids, it is the team colour of my floorball gang

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Lots of text
URGENT

You need to disable TOHKBD daemon when using TOHOLED and way around too. These will fight about the I2C bus and other controls, and for sure may cause reboots and other malfunctions described by Kabouik.

Code:
systemctl stop tohkbd.service
systemctl disable tohkbd.service
systemctl enable toholed.service
systemctl start toholed.service
Code:
systemctl stop toholed.service
systemctl disable toholed.service
systemctl enable tohkbd.service
systemctl start tohkbd.service

And now i wish dirkvl would have put that EEPROM there, i did make some udevrules to start and stop daemons as needed based on EEPROM content. But maybe those can be done by NFC too.
(needs that TOH-switch-dimple on toh)

Last edited by kimmoli; 2014-04-01 at 16:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
The proximity sensor interrupt does not wake the phone itself.
This is known limitation of current kernel. I hope this will fixed (at least method to select so) in upcoming updates.
The front proximity wakes the phone, so when you "pull it out from pocket" it most oftern wakes the phone, and oled proximity gets served too.

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla toh, toholed