Active Topics

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Easier option for you why not get an android phone?
I agree. Maemo is much nicer than Android and i love all the things you can do with it. An Android Execution Environment ported from the Ubuntu project would however be cool in order to get acces to the larger app market.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I believe this very same property to be an advantage of the android method of app execution/bundling. You give up performance, but it's still useful for a great number of applications. However, I also believe that ultimately the web will rule them all given time.

}:^)~
Perhaps, but bandwidth isn't yet free and batteries aren't yet inexhaustible and politically I want the ability and option to work olffline.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by bgrigor View Post
Perhaps, but bandwidth isn't yet free and batteries aren't yet inexhaustible and politically I want the ability and option to work olffline.
I agree that performance is still an issue, but there are many useful apps that largely deal with information and it's display and performance is less of a concern.

The "Web will rule them all" statement is partially inspired from the fact that HTML5 will include the facilities for offline use of web apps. It really is a significant spec that will give web apps tremendous benefits and make them far more comparable to native apps in functionality. Of course, there will be lower performance, again for many apps lower performance will be rather adequate.

Anyway, Canonical is working on an android layer so that apps will run natively in Ubuntu. When this happens, the N900 should be able to run Android apps without an emulation layer, and at full speed with a port of the layer. A benefit of the write-once-run-anywhere model.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I doubt you will be happy with the Nexus One for VoIP.
See my experiences here:
http://davestechshop.net/blog/how-to...s#comment-3237

The Droid is worth a look.
Have you attempted to use Fring with the N1? It was recently release and I'm curious if it works well as a VoIP client (I'm not even sure what codecs it allows for a SIP session).

Maemo rulez all mobile Os