Posts: 112 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Whoa... where does Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000 fit in there? Are you sure MeeGo isn't going to just end up being Windows NT 3.51, 4 and 2000 before it ever finally gets even to XP before it ends up back at Vista again? Clearly, you're saying Maemo was the DOS+Windows lineage versus the MeeGo being NT lineage. At least, I hope that's kind of what you're saying.

Somehow, I think your Windows analogy falls apart.
>_<''

let's not get too confused with this lol.

I'm just trying to make a point, that Nokia's upcoming Meego will be the final product, whether it'll be better or succeed is out of the question for now. The point being is that Nokia discontinued the majority of its support for us Maemo users, and it's just the same for Maemo 4 and the older builds. Each newer build, is a successor to its predecessor, and that Nokia just concentrates on the latest and newest build that is closed to its final finished product, i.e Meego.

I mean, this is pretty much what and why everyone's complained about, and why you see so many topic discussions like this, or discussions about bugs/fixes and this and that etc. It took them forever to release a firmware update that's still not that stable, the phone still has its flaws and tons of bug fixing required, and almost 90% of ANYTHING you find in the APP Manager are still in development. The OVI Store itself is pitiful. And of course, Nokia won't be releasing Meego for the N900 (correct me if i'm wrong).

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
it's worse than that! They're coming out at the end of THIS year!
...wait, worse or better?
I was talking about Gingerbread devices, just as MeeGo has already been released but has no devices. For comparison, FroYo has been out for two months now and we are still waiting for the first native (not upgradeable !) FroYo device, as even the latest crop (like the Droid X) were made with Eclair and will get updated later.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Okay let me clarify what you are saying. By Maemo 6 you mean Meego 1.1 right? I thought there was not going to be Maemo 6 but instead it would be Meego from now.
Sigh. No. Maemo is Maemo and MeeGo is MeeGo. MeeGo 1.1 has no Maemo version equivalent nor does Maemo 6 have a MeeGo version equivalent (except for the provisional, non-numerical, marketing inspired MeeGo-Harmattan). There are actually more important differences both philosophically and under the hood, but let's not digress.

However, what I read your posts to be is that the first Nokia device out this year will run Maemo 6. for the sake of simplicity let us call it N9. Then next year Nokia will release N10 which will run Meego. At that point N9 owners will be able to update the operating system from Maemo 6 to Meego. Is that correct? And if that is what you are saying can we really trust Nokia that you will indeed be able to update the operating system and not have to buy N10 to get the new operating system?
Hey hey hey. I am no Nokia spokesperson or manager nor do I know their plans other than what Nokia chose to tell one way or the other. Formally, I'm just a dude like any of you whom (well, at least some of ) you elected to the Community Council to facilitate between Nokia and the Community. That's what I'm trying to do here - disseminate information to minimize FUD (in other words, we get to hear the bad news first, you get to throw rotten tomatoes at us, which we then pass on to Nokia and don't even get paid for it ).

With all that said, no plans on the upgrade path of the N9 have been revealed, and, in fact, that is the very question I presented as the real question a few messages back.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Sigh. No. Maemo is Maemo and MeeGo is MeeGo. MeeGo 1.1 has no Maemo version equivalent nor does Maemo 6 have a MeeGo version equivalent (except for the provisional, non-numerical, marketing inspired MeeGo-Harmattan). There are actually more important differences both philosophically and under the hood, but let's not digress.

Hey hey hey. I am no Nokia spokesperson or manager nor do I know their plans other than what Nokia chose to tell one way or the other. Formally, I'm just a dude like any of you whom (well, at least some of ) you elected to the Community Council to facilitate between Nokia and the Community. That's what I'm trying to do here - disseminate information to minimize FUD (in other words, we get to hear the bad news first, you get to throw rotten tomatoes at us, which we then pass on to Nokia and don't even get paid for it ).

With all that said, no plans on the upgrade path of the N9 have been revealed, and, in fact, that is the very question I presented as the real question a few messages back.
Okay in that case I most definitely won't be buying Nokia as my next mobile. i thought the next Nokia would be a meego device coming out around October or November. Did not even know there would be a Maemo 6 and I certainly won't be getting it when it is about to be replaced by Meego and no guarantee it can be updated to meego.

Originally Posted by chaoscreater View Post
And of course, Nokia won't be releasing Meego for the N900 (correct me if i'm wrong).
Forgot to comment on this: wrong. Nokia has a fully operational MeeGo for the N900 project (read this, very important !) and team. What has been announced by Nokia in a slightly convoluted way, is that they will not be doing is an official release of HARMATTAN for the N900.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Chesapeake, VA
If Nokia were to support my N900 for another year or so, I would consider it. Not really big on MeeGo in its current state. Maemo 5 is more than enough for me. But, I would like to see some updated features, however.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Okay in that case I most definitely won't be buying Nokia as my next mobile. i thought the next Nokia would be a meego device coming out around October or November. Did not even know there would be a Maemo 6 and I certainly won't be getting it when it is about to be replaced by Meego and no guarantee it can be updated to meego.
More importantly, you couldn't even depend on anyone or yourself to maintain that device for lack of openness, if the trend continues.

Forgot to comment on this: wrong. Nokia has a fully operational MeeGo for the N900 project (read this, very important !) and team. What has been announced by Nokia in a slightly convoluted way, is that they will not be doing is an official release of HARMATTAN for the N900.
Just like Fremantle was not officially released for the N8x0 devices but it was promised to the community for backporting, right? We weren't born yesterday.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-07-31 at 12:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Wait. I don't understand. What guarantee are we talking about ? Where are the guarantees that, say, a Droid X (or EVO 4G, Galaxy S) will be upgradeable to Android 3.0 ? Has Apple given a statement that the iPhone4 will be upgradeable to iOS 5 ? Please, let's at least wait until the thing gets released. If you Osborne out, marketing was right (that said, I do think the N9 should have an upgrade guarantee at launch exactly because of it's sensitive position).

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Wait. I don't understand. What guarantee are we talking about ? Where are the guarantees that, say, a Droid X (or EVO 4G, Galaxy S) will be upgradeable to Android 3.0 ? Has Apple given a statement that the iPhone4 will be upgradeable to iOS 5 ? Please, let's at least wait until the thing gets released. If you Osborne out, marketing was right (that said, I do think the N9 should have an upgrade guarantee at launch exactly because of it's sensitive position).
They don't have to. Their track record for Apple has pretty much spoken for itself, and Google phones have managed pretty well too. Now with this news about Samsung open-sourcing everything for their phones is in direct contrast to Nokia's lack of effort to pull openness for its community. Nokia hasn't really had the best tangible track record despite all assurances of openness and support. Saying that 'marketing was right' over and over again isn't really going to convince me to change my opinions, whether they were right, wrong or not entirely and simply either right or wrong. When you parrot it this often, it begins to sound like you're trying to pit technical people against marketing people.

Sometimes, people aren't expecting a full upgrade. They're at LEAST expecting some backporting to fix bugs or openness to make up for the lack of the corporate overlords extending budgets for such closed-source efforts.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-07-31 at 13:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Just like Fremantle was not officially released for the N8x0 devices but it was promised to the community for backporting, right? We weren't born yesterday.
This is different in terms that, unlike the Fremantle backport/Mer projects, it is not a mostly community enthusiast project and actually has paid staff working on it (realistically, considering MeeGo, Fremantle backporting was a stillborn/dead end). Will that be enough to result in something usable for end-users ? I have no idea, but I can tell it at least has good chances, far better than it ever had. I just hope the lack of public support and the weight of past mistakes doesn't discourage anyone, *either* inside or outside that team.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!