I love and hate my Jolla so far. I love how smooth it operates, that I can use almost all the android apps I could need and especially that in a not too far away future I will be able to get a qwerty hwkb.

What I hate however, is that right now the Jolla is completely unreliable, a thing that I hope will be fixed with the next updates. I can more or less trust the Jolla to stay connected when I'm home (though there have also been problems), but when I leave the house it's guesswork if the Jolla will conect to mobile data, if it will stay connected, if it will enter a connection loop, if it will stop working as soon as I re-enter a wifi-area and so on.

As someone who does maybe 5-10 calls and about the same amount of texts a month but uses IM daily and needs to know that he is available, that is pretty difficult, but I'm holding out for updates and hope that one day I will be able to trust my Jolla's connection like I could with the n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ozymandias For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
On my device I have none of these connection problems people are talking about.
I use 2 different WLAN access points, one at work and one at home, and when I am not connected to either of them I have normal Sonera (...yuck! ) 3G access.

I can freely move in and out of the networks, there's never any funny business with WLAN access or 3G access.

I do not use any android stuff or any instant messaging applications.
Hence, I believe your problems might be caused by some combination of those.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I do not use any Android apps either. My Jolla can be fine for days but then when out and about and trying to connect to other WLANS I start getting connections problems when moving between WLANS and 3G.

I do have Facebook and Google accounts set as available though.

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I do have Facebook and Google accounts set as available though.
So Jolla connectivity works perfectly except when you actually use it?
Well like I said, I hope (and think) they will solve this in the next updates.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I have developed a habit of switching the WLAN on and mobile internet OFF as soon as I leave an area with known wifi network and I managed to avoid most of the problems practicing this habit. I do agree it is annoying, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So Jolla connectivity works perfectly except when you actually use it?
Well like I said, I hope (and think) they will solve this in the next updates.
I use networking constantly on my device, just none of the silly stuff.
My daily use pattern is web, email, ssh.
(and lots of protocols over ssh, that is.)

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
I don't even try to use WLAN. Connection is just too unstable.

Doesn't really matter to me anyway though. Decent 3G pretty much everywhere I go.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
No IM or social media. Hardly any Android stuff.

WLAN sucks even after fresh boot with no apps opened.

Last edited by Rauha; 2014-02-11 at 11:38.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
As I have also several wierd problems that many other do not have, I am already considering to reset the device and install all updates / programs and accounts once again. I hate to do it, but I do not see any other option...

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
What I hate however, is that right now the Jolla is completely unreliable
Got to agree with you, I'm afraid. I love the idea of the Jolla phone, it is just that the current implementation has yet to live up to that idea, and after initial enthusiasm I am beginning to consider moving back to my N9 for day to day use.

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I have developed a habit of switching the WLAN on and mobile internet OFF as soon as I leave an area with known wifi network and I managed to avoid most of the problems practicing this habit. I do agree it is annoying, though.
I'm doing the same... but I suppose you meant WLAN off and mobile data on when leaving an area with wifi

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience