Notices

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Noob question:
What is all the "VLC" fuss about? Aren't there like 5 different 'media' players we can download for the n900? Does anyone here really use anything other than the built in one?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
Noob question:
What is all the "VLC" fuss about? Aren't there like 5 different 'media' players we can download for the n900? Does anyone here really use anything other than the built in one?
Some have more features, some have better performance. I don't really care about it being "VLC". I've only used it for my PC once to try out. I just want a player that plays my videos smoothly on the N900 with useful options such as resume, aspect ratio, zoom/pan/scan etc. Built-in one definitely isn't as good as mplayer for example. mplayer has keyboard controls which I find extremely useful. (kmplayer and sib are just some of the front ends to mplayer)

More variety the better really. Then I have more chance of finding an app that I want. =)

Anyways, so far, this vlc player for the N900 is much worse than mplayer for now. Videos play really choppy. But some others report that it's butter smooth? Why is that?

does it actually load subtitle files? Cant get my only test movie to work with subtitles

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Queens, NY
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Not really an installable as its a bit of an Alpha release but here is the dev page

http://www.remlab.net/files/vlc/fremantle/

You need to install these files
libvlc5_1.1.0~git5935-1_armel.deb vlc-nox_1.1.0~git5935-1_armel.deb
vlc-player-nox_1.1.0~git5935-1_armel.deb
vlc-player_1.1.0~git5935-1_armel.deb

There all .debs so just download them to the n900. Default is /home/user/MyDocs

Then run
Code:
dpkg -i /path to file/filename.deb
You will have to do this in order the lib first then vlc-nox, player-nox, player.

When you have Vlc installed simply run

vlc /path to file

ie
vlc /home/user/MyDocs/test.avi

If you are feeling really adventurous you could try dbus-switchboard that qole is developing to handle certain files by vlc automatically.

All usual warnings apply for using Alpha software. It can/will be buggy and very hard to uninstall.
Says there are major issues and wait for final release!

Originally Posted by kevloral View Post
URL: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/maemo/
Distribution: fremantle
Components: free

Greetings.
This doesn't seem to work!

Anyone know when a stable version will be released?

---
Who but me?!
--HeavyC.

Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
Noob question:

Apparently the code on VLC is optimised to use the hardware acceleration (DSP, Video chip) of the N900 for other codecs - not just like the out of the box media player which will accelerate only MP4's. I can now play smaller H264 480p MKV files at a reasonable speed without lag or audio sync problems at default clock (600Mhz). Whereas MPlayer will require at least 900 Mhz to run it with the same sort of quality without audio syncing problems. However, remember that the program is still alpha, I have noticed some memory issues with it on larger files (100MB and over) and the indexing is flakey at this stage.

So looking forward to more development on this.. Really need a good player for our N900's..

Originally Posted by HeavyComponent View Post
Says there are major issues and wait for final release!

This doesn't seem to work!

Anyone know when a stable version will be released?

Worked for me & i did it about 4hrs ago

didn't even have the icon problem (although i did a reboot after install)

just add as a new catalogue & search in media , then wala!

Last edited by jubei80; 2010-07-15 at 01:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to jubei80 For This Useful Post:
In the parent directory, there's 7 links.

Which one to download for N900??

Thanks!

Originally Posted by jubei80 View Post
Worked for me & i did it about 4hrs ago

didn't even have the icon problem (although i did a reboot after install)

just add as a new catalogue & search in media , then wala!

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
I agree with the earlier statement that there are Major issues as I have yet to get VLC to open in less than 4 minutes on my N900 OC to 900Mhz.

I also have yet to have VLC play anything correctly, re-encoded or not everything plays choppy or not at all.

Sticking with MPlayer until the issues are fixed and even then I have very little confidence in VLC as I have never been a fan of their software.

Not forcing my opinion on anyone, just my 2 cents

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Some have more features, some have better performance. I don't really care about it being "VLC". I've only used it for my PC once to try out. I just want a player that plays my videos smoothly on the N900 with useful options such as resume, aspect ratio, zoom/pan/scan etc. Built-in one definitely isn't as good as mplayer for example. mplayer has keyboard controls which I find extremely useful. (kmplayer and sib are just some of the front ends to mplayer)

More variety the better really. Then I have more chance of finding an app that I want. =)

Anyways, so far, this vlc player for the N900 is much worse than mplayer for now. Videos play really choppy. But some others report that it's butter smooth? Why is that?
MPlayer only uses CPU for playback while VLC uses the GPU. VLC also has keyboard controls but they're weird (not what you would normally think of). Like I think P is pause.

Originally Posted by jubei80 View Post
does it actually load subtitle files? Cant get my only test movie to work with subtitles
I think so. But you can't do so from the GUI interface, you'll have to use the command-line (assuming you have a seperate subtitle file).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kamishly View Post
In the parent directory, there's 7 links.

Which one to download for N900??

Thanks!
I have no idea! lol

I didn't bother going there, i just manually added the repository, waited for the refresh & then went into media section to install vlc.

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard