Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Again, the council is not a governing body. They are a representative and coordinating body. They did not start this thread in order issue a pronouncement; they started it to begin discussion within the community. Unfortunately, you've buried that.

chemist is a super moderator, which means he has moderator rights in all t.m.o forums, not just a select few. He was not appointed by the council. Instead, Reggie, as the sole admin of t.m.o, is the only one who can make someone moderator or super moderator.
Thankyou for your post and interesting to read.

I feel this thread has come at a rather difficult time for all and as no one seems to know where to point what in terms of the future of TMO could you please advise us a better option than this thread? if any.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-07-25 at 14:34.

The device was described at the announcement as the result of Nokia's MeeGo project and is described in specifications as "MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan".* As widely expected, it has a Maemo base ("Harmattan") with a MeeGo API.* From the perspective of application developers and end users alike, the phone appears as a MeeGo handset although that technically may not be correct.* Nevertheless, notwithstanding the lack of technical compliance, the device is widely described as a MeeGo device and hoped to lift the profile of the MeeGo project.* Nokia also initiated much activity surrounding the device at www.meego.com, including threads in the MeeGo forum, to describe aspects of the device.* As first reported in the previous Council posting, the N9 has both a closed mode and an open (developer) mode.* Root access and terminal are available as well.* Nokia also announced the availability of a limited number of N950 developer devices in an attempt to increase the number of apps available for the N9 at launch.* "
I dont want to be a troll, but what do we want
1. We wish the council stops being a marketing channel for N9 for Nokia,
2. Serve the interests of CSSU and atleast get some code for all the closed source components.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
daperl,

chemist expressly state the flame war ended.
maybe you should make that kind of posts on abill's thread?
nobody could possibly argue a post's derogative nature there

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
I dont want to be a troll, but what do we want
1. We wish the council stops being a marketing channel for N9 for Nokia,
2. Serve the interests of CSSU and atleast get some code for all the closed source components.
The biggest problem with the N9 is when it eventually does hit the stores it will push Maemo and the N900 even further back and before you know it we will have little or no choices left regarding Maemo.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
2 years and the community couldnt even bargain sh@t from Nokia.....
Maemo started with the 770, released in 2005. It has been for far longer than two years that this community has encouraged Nokia to open more code, far longer than the Community Council has existed.

There has been progress made. Not as much as we'd like, but certainly, more pieces of Fremantle are open than were open in OS2005, and at the same time, 100% open source is unrealistic for a number of reasons.

Also, from Nokia's perspective, MeeGo is an outgrowth of Maemo, and a fair bit of additional, formerly proprietary Nokia pieces were fully open sourced for that transition, so that's further progress.

As I've said, the Community Council doesn't govern the community. Nor do they have authority over Nokia. Blaming the Council, particularly just the current members, for Nokia not fully open sourcing Maemo is unreasonable.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Maemo started with the 770, released in 2005. It has been for far longer than two years that this community has encouraged Nokia to open more code, far longer than the Community Council has existed.

There has been progress made. Not as much as we'd like, but certainly, more pieces of Fremantle are open than were open in OS2005, and at the same time, 100% open source is unrealistic for a number of reasons.

Also, from Nokia's perspective, MeeGo is an outgrowth of Maemo, and a fair bit of additional, formerly proprietary Nokia pieces were fully open sourced for that transition, so that's further progress.

As I've said, the Community Council doesn't govern the community. Nor do they have authority over Nokia. Blaming the Council, particularly just the current members, for Nokia not fully open sourcing Maemo is unreasonable.
Fair comment but sadly i have to disagree with you mainly because THE only real link between Nokia and Maemo is in fact this community.

I feel a lot lot more should have been done by this community to get the much wanted code out of Nokia than it has done.

I also feel this community head(s) listen's to Nokia far too much and not to its members.

I am a bit in the dark about this but thanks to posts like yours we are learning more so thankyou !.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I feel a lot lot more should have been done by this community to get the much wanted code out of Nokia than it has done.
As you've said, and I'll admit to some curiosity as to what specific processes you've thought of on how that might have been accomplished. However, should you be interested in expounding upon that, I ask you to do so in a new thread so this one might focus on its purpose: maemo.org.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

point taken
apologises for having insisted so heavily on the council's ineffectiveness, but my frustration, and i'm obviously not alone with that problem, is about the current council and the current situation.

are you a member of the Council, by any chance?

like IcyMoustache, abill, myself and probably others have pointed out, Maemo.org is @ a crossroad right now.
we need to choose between going down the same road as OS200x (where x in {5, 6,7,8} ) and hope that NOKIA won't pull the plug before our N900s go south.
or build some sort of arch and sail out of the NOKIA waters with as much (open sourced) code we can possibly get & try to replace anything missing before NOKIA pulls the plug.

does the Council want to lead the community through this situation?

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
As you've said, and I'll admit to some curiosity as to what specific processes you've thought of on how that might have been accomplished. However, should you be interested in expounding upon that, I ask you to do so in a new thread so this one might focus on its purpose: maemo.org.
I have tried to show how much interest in Maemo exsisted on this community by the poll i started http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73419 but sadly it was closed for reasons beyond my control of flaming trolling and un-needed arguments by the communities own members of old, closed by chemist.

This poll could have eventually brought out some good answers if it had been moderated properly and left to continue as it did not have a time limit.

The interest IS there for Maemo as i think no one will doubt but what to do about the code and Nokia is something not one person can deal with i feel.

Maemo.org is supposed to be for Maemo and what with the decisions made by Nokia to end all development it means this community is all that is left to carry on with Maemo development, that sadly has drastically dwained and is a big setback for all Maemo enthusiasts and i feel the council of this community could have done more to help.

You asked me so i gave you my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-07-25 at 15:08.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
are you a member of the Council, by any chance?
I notice you've asked a couple of times if people were on the council, you can check out who is on the current council (and on previous councils) via the wiki

i think there's been a lot of harsh words about the community written here that aren't warranted. To a certain extent you get as much out of the community as you put in. And really, if you have concerns over the council or it's direction then please consider putting your nomination forward for the next elections (which won't be far away). Candidates are always sought after.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down