Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
They wanted crashing sales and a crashing share price? Mmm... he has done a good job then

It's clear either the board are just as incompetent as Elop or they have received personal inducements to back him.

Before Elop NOKIA had sold the most smart phones in every single quarter ever. The handset division had never made a loss in any quarter ever. He's utterly destroyed that impressive long-standing record in a matter of a few months.

No doubt the teeniest-tiniest upturn from the pitiful position NOKIA now occupy and you'll be hailing it as some kind of vindication but NOKIA are now much more likely to crash and burn than ever recapture their number one position.

Even if they did recapture their number one spot with WP7 Elop still wouldn't have done a good job because he could have adopted WP7 without announcing he was killing Symbian so NOKIA didn't need to miss out on the billions of Euros of sales Elop's ridiculous announcement has cost NOKIA in the mean time.

Ah, the outstanding contractual obligation phone that Elop is sabotaging on behalf of his real boss Steve Ballmer.

Are you trying to give Elop credit for the N9? If so you're being absurd (again).

Have a look at this blog post by Felipe Contreras who is a NOKIA software engineer that actually worked on MeeGo for the N9.
Felipe was too slow. He only has himself to blame for not producing a product on time. Elop did the right thing. Cut the dead wood

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Felipe was too slow. He only has himself to blame for not producing a product on time. Elop did the right thing. Cut the dead wood
Newsflash: N950 was supposed to be announced in February and released in March. Elop made it all look like it's not his fault.

EDIT: Also, upper management has the final call, when/where it will be announced/ released, advertizing, etc. Elop, perfectly made the final call.....BURNING PLATFORM....

Keep praising Elop. I think you should start a religion, Elopism.

Last edited by patlak; 2011-09-15 at 19:28.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
gerbick, you're arguing with a marketing shill. Don't bother.
I'm not arguing anything. I want to see if people can continue to heap praise upon Elop without putting forward anything concrete.

So far, that's been the only consistent truth in that quest.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
The question still stands, why risk it all on something that has not proven itself when they have MeeGo/Maemo which have both gathered much more interest? Nokia is shooting a moving target in the dark.

Symbian Belle could be Nokia's saviour, if one high-end device releases, plus it would be easy to switch to MeeGo when/if it releases and have those apps transferable since they are developed in Qt. Do you see Nokia's planned ecosystem and Microsoft's inability to "fit in?" Also, the same Ovi store was planned for the low-end S40 since it will be getting high-end 1GHz hardware also.
What 'risk all' factor is everyone referring to? Am I missing something? Neither you nor myself know the details of the contract, but that will be a stupid thing to be an all or nothing strategy. They MUST have a fallback option.

Consumers have shown that they don't want Symbian they same way you guys say no one wants WP7....it's market share is dropping drastically. I'm not sure if Belle would change that. Maybe, maybe not :/ 1Ghz isn't high end anymore. Dual core 1Ghz is. s40 and QT will live on. The question is will Meego? I'm sure it will if their WP7 fails. They'll have no choice really.

I didn't understand your question on Nokia and Microsoft 'ecosystem fit in' bit. Care to be more specific as to what you mean?

Yeah, and that option is to be eventually bought by Microsoft, as a future MS Mobile Phone Division, delivering Windows Phone 10.5 'It will definitely work for sure this time around' edition.

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
They MUST have a fallback option.

What 'risk all' factor is everyone referring to? Am I missing something? Neither you nor myself know the details of the contract, but that will be a stupid thing to be an all or nothing strategy. They MUST have a fallback option.
I guess, this might be the fallback option:

Originally Posted by tkatchev
Yeah, and that option is to be eventually bought by Microsoft, as a future MS Mobile Phone Division, delivering Windows Phone 10.5 'It will definitely work for sure this time around' edition.
Consumers have shown that they don't want Symbian they same way you guys say no one wants WP7....it's market share is dropping drastically. I'm not sure if Belle would change that. Maybe, maybe not :/ 1Ghz isn't high end anymore. Dual core 1Ghz is.
Sales actually have picked up even though Symbian has been pronounced dead. That was the reason for drastic decrease in sales of Symbian handsets. Oh....also the N97. With Symbian Belle, Nokia is actually doing a turnaround, finally giving people what they drooled over for years. Flashy UI, Symbian familiarity, Qt, 1GHz CPU (and yes it still is high-end; until software is properly optimized for dual cores, single core 1GHz is still high-end), super fast GPU, more RAM, and all of the other goodies that come naturally with buying a Nokia device.

s40 and QT will live on. The question is will Meego? I'm sure it will if their WP7 fails. They'll have no choice really.
If the deal is successful, everything Nokia will die eventually. Actually, it goes both ways; if Nokia does fail, hello MS Mobile division.

I didn't understand your question on Nokia and Microsoft 'ecosystem fit in' bit. Care to be more specific as to what you mean?
MeeGo + S60 + S40 + Qt + Ovi Store + Ovi Services = Nokia's planned ecosystem, before Elop.

Where does MS with it's WP7, 7.5, 8, etc fit in the above???

Is it a risk-all? Yes, it is. And I say this because Nokia has both Symbian Belle and MeeGo, both of which have satisfied consumers' desires and yet they continue hardheadedly towards a dead end.

Last edited by patlak; 2011-09-15 at 20:07.

@tkatchev
That doens't make a lick of sense to me. Why? Think about it for a sec. So you partner with a hardware manufacturer, and the platform fails. You buy that hardware manufacturer....the platform will succeed?! There's no logic here. You keep losing and so you buy the loser and keep losing some more??! See where I'm going with this? If Nokia wanted their division to be bought, they would've sold it on the get go.

@patlak
Where have you got that information on Symbian picking up? All stats I've read, have shown Symbian plummeting drastically...cuz of Elop. The damage done is severe to the point I'm not optimistic that Belle could bring it back. One can only hope.
High end for symbian cannot be high end. What would you call samsung's dual core 1.2 Ghz exynos.. You have to look at it RELATIVE to what is out there. Symbian is frugal, great for symbian, but the hardware they put with it is not high end, more like mid range. Maybe a couple aspects, but definitely not CPU.

That ecosystem you mentioned has not changed except for Meego. From what I have gathered, s40 QT, Ovi Store and Services will continue for the lower spectrum. Ovi store is intended to blend with Microsoft's marketplace. Their services like navteq navigation etc are going to be used with Bing etc. Nokia may have their own special hub on Nokia only devices....which may be the differentiation from other WP7 devices.

Meego is what we're losing here, and it's what upsets everyone here. That and the way he went about killing it. The platform has been in development for so long and has so much potential and based on a shitload of FOSS...yet we're getting a severely limited release.

I will repeat that customers are NOT happy with Symbian at all (they were once upon a time), hence the predicament Nokia is in. Check ANY review of ANY symbian device and see for yourself.

Symbian Belle is NOT mainstream, so it does not count. Noone has a Meego device so how are their desires fulfilled?! This dead end you're speaking of is based on <1 yr of lacklustre sales on a very unpolished platform. Quite harsh....let's wait and see how it pans out, let's see some new devices on a much more polished OS...see how it goes THEN, we can spread the hate. Everyone is jumping the gun a little too quick. I can equally say continuing with Symbian is the real dead end...I have more reason to say that than you all do with WP7...but i won't

Anyway, Elop is still an ******* though.

Consumers have shown that they don't want Symbian they same way you guys say no one wants WP7....it's market share is dropping drastically. I'm not sure if Belle would change that.
Symbian's sales were increasing right up until Elop announced he was killing it, they were just increasing at a lower rate than the expansion of the overall smart phone market. It was facing a very gradual erosion of market share because of that, not because sales were going down. Symbian has a very high level of functionality, it's just has a rather fusty UI. NOKIA could undoubtedly have made Symbian sales increase further and faster by upgrading the UI.

Now Symbian Belle can not change anything, no matter how good it is, because Elop has lost the support of carriers and large retailers by announcing Symbian is obsolete. It is that loss of support that has caused the absolute nose-dive we have seen in the last few months.

Within the last week I've received a flyer from Tesco with their mobile phone deals, it had the iPhone, various Android handsets (from HTC, Samsung and LG) and a BlackBerry but there was only one NOKIA handset in the whole pamphlet and that was a Series 40 phone in the cheapo section.

It's a similar story if you pick up the mobile deals brochure from Argos, NOKIA is now invisible.

If you went out specifically to get a NOKIA handset I'm sure you still could but no outlet is trying to promote them anymore.

1Ghz isn't high end anymore. Dual core 1Ghz is.
The change to dual core is because they consume less battery power, not because single core offers inadequate performance. Symbian is expert at sipping power so this wont be a big issue.

s40 and QT will live on.
The sales of S40 devices has also nose-dived in the last few months, it seems they are tainted by association.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Ah, the outstanding contractual obligation phone.........
ah, the ongoing "contractual obligation" comments....

This, dare I say FUD, has been bandied about by lots of people, and many times I've asked them to back this up with some actual evidence of any contractual obligation, but all I get is silence.

Despite multiple searches, i'm yet to find anything, anywhere to suggest any contract, but it stilll seems to surface at TMO.

If anyone has proof of this (imaginary) contract, can you post a link?

edit; your reference to s40 in your last post is true, but also reflects a move away from featurephones generally. latest statistics show traditional featurephone users are now migrating to smartphones, which eitherway, is another punch in the guts for Nokia, becasue right now, it;s all they have left, thanks to elop.

Last edited by onethreealpha; 2011-09-15 at 21:07.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Nokia is Finnish. As with all Nordic countries, a domestic leader is best due to cultural reasons and language. For an international nordic company like Nokia, a leader from UK or NA is OK, also because of cultural and linguistic reasons. A Canadian (english) leader feels right at home, and is accepted right away, not so easy for a spaniard or french dude.

What I'm saying is that I'm not so sure that Nokians fee they "deserve" a spanish or italian leader, but they are happy with one from UK or Canada, even a US leader could work.
Whaaa? That's unfair! I'm Italian and I will not give away my right to mismanage a high-class company like Nokia to its total destruction! Canadians are certainly not better at that than us Italians!

Tags
bada rox, bigbadtroll!, ceo firing, fooled again, pissing contest